HpH 304CZ as first sailplane

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 29th 06, 06:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default HpH 304CZ as first sailplane

I'm SERIOUSLY thinking about buying a HpH 304C/CZ as my first
sailplane. Am I nuts?

I'm a 1000+ hour power pilot that's been flying off and on for almost
30 years. My last plane was a Mooney 251 in 1992. I have NO time in
single seat sailplanes because I'm trying to fast track my add on
license and have spent all my time in a 2-33 getting ready for the
check ride.

The point is I'm hooked on soaring so its not a casual decision. I
flew paragliders for over three years and love going XC...this is one
of the major reasons I want a high performance sailplane.

The reality is that the other sailplanes that meet my criteria are less
money but not THAT much less, especially if this is a plane that I will
not "outgrow" in several years (if ever). I live in Southern
California so I can fly pretty much year round. The ship seems to fit
the bill...I need something that I can store in a GOOD trailer and is
truly a one man assembly. I also need something with a reasonably
sized cockpit, I'm 6'1" and 205#.

ASSUMING that I get some dual time in a glass sailplane prior to
transitioning into the ship is this "too big of a step" for my first
sailplane? There is a 304CZ owner at the club I fly at and he SWEARS
that the 304 is not "over my head". BTW he is NOT trying to sell me
his plane. He transitioned into his 304CZ from a 1-36 and can't say
enough good things about it. I've read everything I can find on the
plane...mainly from the Wheels and Wings site as well as the Yahoo
Users Group and find only good things.

I'd appreciate the OBJECTIVE opinions of those who have "been there and
done that". I'm new to the forum and have learned alot from reading
the posts.

Thanks!