Glider delivery

Old October 13th 12, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Glider delivery

What should one expect to pay for having a glider delivered...cost per mile?
Old October 13th 12, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I recently delivered a glider from Chicago to Harris Hill. IIRC I was paid
$550 for the 675 mile trip. That was about $0.81/mile.

Old October 13th 12, 11:24 PM
Skypilot Skypilot is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
What should one expect to pay for having a glider delivered...cost per mile?
Having just done a big trip in Australia this might help as costs are the same at the moment.

I drove Brisbane to Adelaide empty and picked up a Phoebus with enclosed trailer and came home. It's roughly 2750 miles (4400km) return and we pay roughly $4-5.00 a gal (1.50 per litre) in the Aust outback. Ozzie dollar is parity at the moment.

The car was a 2005 Honda accord euro/2.4

It took three solid days driving plus one maintenance/muck around/ googaaa at sailplane day. We stayed at three motels and one night at a mates place.

Costs

Fuel $600.00
Accom $290.00
Food and beer $200.00

So all up call it $1100.00

If you added another room instead of the mates place and $200 a day for wages it's really a $2000 trip. Funnily enough that roughly works out at the IRS/ATO rate at 50 cents per sm or km. if you play with wages and costs.

The quote to truck it up to Brisbane was $2400 with a major freight company.

The truth will be in there somewhere

Justin
Old October 14th 12, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mike

On Oct 13, 12:10*pm, wrote:
What should one expect to pay for having a glider delivered...cost per mile?

If a person supplies the tow vehicle I will do it for $150.00 per day,
driving about 12 hours daily while I am on the road with our without
the sailplane and trailer.
Not included is the cost of getting me from and back to my location.

Mike
Old October 14th 12, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
howdy

On Saturday, October 13, 2012 2:10:14 PM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
What should one expect to pay for having a glider delivered...cost per mile?

Just had one delivered three weeks ago for 80 cents/mile. Might be able to get it for slightly less, but I'm happy with how it worked out.

uship.com

In the search for like shipments to compare, put in "Cobra glider trailer".
Old October 16th 12, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
James Anderson

On Oct 13, 2:10*pm, wrote:
What should one expect to pay for having a glider delivered...cost per mile?

What kind of contract would be required? Payment in advance via
Google mileage?
What about condition/roadworthiness of the trailer? Hold harmless
agreement?
Any details/input for those who have done this please.

r/Jim
Old October 16th 12, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

When I towed some else's glider, I wrote a letter authorizing me to have
posession of the glider and trailer. The owner signed and dated the letter.
He asked for my driver's license number, which I provided. He verified that
his insurance would cover any damages during the trip.

The trailer had a European connector and my truck had a flat-4 connector.
We went together to the Autozone and bought a flat-4 mating connector, some
wire, and some crimp on spades. We crimped the spades onto the connector
and, one at a time, found which wire was which and connected the spades into
the Euro connector. It was getting dark and starting to snow during this
activity.

When all was ready, the owner counted out cash into my hand, we shook hands,
and parted ways. He called my cell the next afternoon to determine my
progress and I told him I was about 2 hours from completion. When I
delivered the trailer, I called him and reported it done.

It was surreal, receiving a Ventus-2, a Cobra trailer, and a hand full of
cash from a perfect stranger, but we're glider pilots and tend to trust each
other. I was very careful with his glider and I believe he was happy with
the service.

Old October 16th 12, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Monday, October 15, 2012 7:09:52 PM UTC-6, James Anderson wrote:
On Oct 13, 2:10*pm, wrote:

What should one expect to pay for having a glider delivered...cost per mile?

What kind of contract would be required? Payment in advance via

Google mileage?

What about condition/roadworthiness of the trailer? Hold harmless

agreement?

Any details/input for those who have done this please.

r/Jim

1/2 in advance, balance on delivery. $55/day for weather and/or trailer maintenance delays.

Your hull insurance covers your property. Driver liability coverage is on the driver policy.

I set a mileage rate that covers fuel, lodging, and incidentals. I reserve the right to wander in performance of functions related to my chairing of two SSA committees. Win-win.

Rates are based on loaded and and unloaded mileage on round trip initially, reduced if load found going the other way. I try to avoid night driving as there are way too many deer out there. People in a hurry pay more. Coordinating and waiting a few weeks saves $$$$, timing helps.

For example, had I known about the Chilhowee Oktorfest a couple of days earlier, I would have waved a towball on RAS to make it part of a road trip before booking my flight to Charlotte for the SSA BOD meeting and Barnaby Lecture.

I don't do uship because I don't want to haul dogs or women (oh yeah), my specialty is glider trailers and their precious contents. I like to take another glider pilot along most times as shotgun and for conversation. Two motel beds are a cheap as one.

I have current state plates for those that don't;^) and a lighting system for those that don't/won't work. I usually carry enough tools to make your eyes water.

I've even run the Canadian border and dropped off for Europe, driven through two days of blizzard, 150 miles of ice, and negotiated payments (for the glider) enroute.

Frank
Old October 16th 12, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Saturday, October 13, 2012 1:10:14 PM UTC-5, (unknown) wrote:
What should one expect to pay for having a glider delivered...cost per mile?

Might depend on how much hassle is involved. Trailer that needs work or is unstable at any speed, I would charge more for. A Cobra that pulls great and makes my van actually get better mileage, my fee would be less.

What are you try to move and how quickly do you want to move it? Found out yesterday that the cruise on my car will hold 110 MPH!

Steve
Old October 16th 12, 03:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Monday, October 15, 2012 7:56:06 PM UTC-6, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Saturday, October 13, 2012 1:10:14 PM UTC-5, (unknown) wrote:

What should one expect to pay for having a glider delivered...cost per mile?

Might depend on how much hassle is involved. Trailer that needs work or is unstable at any speed, I would charge more for. A Cobra that pulls great and makes my van actually get better mileage, my fee would be less.

What are you try to move and how quickly do you want to move it? Found out yesterday that the cruise on my car will hold 110 MPH!

Steve

Had a big dust devil about rip the front door off a CAP K-21 Cobra trailer in NM. Opened it and tore the sheet metal. They didn't have the keys, so I couldn't lock it. Lock the front door of a Cobra trailer people, parked or on the road.

I found that at and above 85mph my truck will stay in OD on the upgrades. At 75 it keeps kicking into 3rd, which is god awful. Mostly mountain west, the Ozarks, and Pennsylvania. No tickets yet.

Frank

Delivery Service K Soaring 3 August 10th 12 06:56 PM
First A380 delivery Kingfish Piloting 49 October 18th 07 04:10 AM
sailplane delivery fox victor Soaring 0 September 8th 05 01:58 AM
Sailplane Delivery WDM Soaring 0 August 24th 05 01:22 AM
European Delivery Steve B Soaring 2 September 16th 03 05:01 AM