A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Disassemble an L-23 Fuselage?

Old February 20th 19, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Terry Pitts
external usenet poster

Default Disassemble an L-23 Fuselage?

Is an L-23's fuselage made essentially as one assembly, or are there fore and aft subassemblies bolted/riveted together?

Though I've not (yet) seen either one, the specifics are an L-23 with a damaged nose and another L-23 with a damaged rear fuselage...

I obviously don't know the answer, or I wouldn't be throwing the question out to the pool of experience on RAS. But, as you can imagine the goal would be to make one glider airworthy.

Thanks in advance,

Terry
Old February 20th 19, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.
external usenet poster

Terry:
The L-23 has a spine seam on the top and bottom (aft of the main wheel) of the fuselage with fuselage halves built over bulkheads. There is not a clear "fore and aft" so much as there are "sides".
ROY
Old February 20th 19, 04:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Looks to me that there are a few butt joint locations on the fuselage. One at the wing spar area, one at the wing trailing edge - at wing root, and one further back getting close to stabilizers.
So I would say it's a possibility, a lot of work and a possibility the two wouldnt fit very well together.
Sounds like fun, let's do it!
Old February 20th 19, 05:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I am willing to bet that the "butt joints" are just joints in the outer skin, and the internal longitudinal structure is carried fore and aft of the skin joint. If so, I doubt that there is any designed area where the fuselage can be easily broken and rejoined without the use of a Sawzall and a lot of JB Weld.

Good luck, but I am not climbing into a FrankenBlanik.
Old February 20th 19, 05:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I agree the stringers probably dont stop at the butt joints, but they stop somewhere. And it wouldn't be a Frankinblanik if factory pieces and drawings are used or approved splices are made. The problem wont be the stringers or skin. It will most likely be the lack of fit of the predrilled parts and shape differences. They were probably hand fit and drill back in the day, so not exactly the same between two individual aircraft. An early 737 is tough to swap sheetmetal parts. New aircraft, not so much because of cad design and computerized drilling.

I'll bet it can be done on the Blanik.
May not be a financial success however.
Many folks have had their fiberglass ship booms put back together. In my experience, sheet metal is much easier to repair or rebuild.
Old February 20th 19, 06:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 8:57:33 PM UTC-8, wrote:
I agree the stringers probably dont stop at the butt joints, but they stop somewhere. And it wouldn't be a Frankinblanik if factory pieces and drawings are used or approved splices are made. The problem wont be the stringers or skin. It will most likely be the lack of fit of the predrilled parts and shape differences. They were probably hand fit and drill back in the day, so not exactly the same between two individual aircraft. An early 737 is tough to swap sheetmetal parts. New aircraft, not so much because of cad design and computerized drilling.

I'll bet it can be done on the Blanik.
Many folks have had their fiberglass ship booms put back together. In my experience, sheet metal is much easier to repair or rebuild.

Does the L23 have different fuselage construction to an L13?
From ancient experience, that tail boom could be replaced.
Jim
Old February 21st 19, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Terry Pitts
external usenet poster

I think that's likely the actual answer to the whole situation

Thank you all for the complete and insightful responses!

Terry
Old February 21st 19, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley
external usenet poster

I know they can pull the L-13 apart in two pieces for and aft during rebuild. I’ll take a look at the L-23 I am doing some sheet metal work on..
Old February 21st 19, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley
external usenet poster

On Thursday, February 21, 2019 at 5:55:34 AM UTC-8, Charles Longley wrote:
I know they can pull the L-13 apart in two pieces for and aft during rebuild. I’ll take a look at the L-23 I am doing some sheet metal work on.

Nothing to it! There's a clean area right behind the wings with no stringers. I suspect they built the fuselage in two pieces for and aft at the factory. Give me a call if you want a quote.

Charlie
www.skyeaero.com