A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Recirculate cockpit air to keep feet warm?

Old March 19th 19, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Recirculate cockpit air to keep feet warm?

On Tuesday, March 19, 2019 at 11:51:27 AM UTC-4, Tom BravoMike wrote:
Today (March 19, 2019), ArcticShield Men's Boot Insulator price reduced on Amazon to $14.35 (medium size). Just have ordered a pair.

Thanks for the tip. Alas, size "medium" is only claimed to fit mens' shoe sizes 8-9. Also one reviewer on Amazon said this:
"... they are sized too small. I wear an 11.5, so I ordered the XL (12-13) to be safe. I tried them on 3 different pairs of uninsulated boots, but none of them fit. Not only are they too short, but the bend for the ankle is all wrong, resulting in the toe not fitting. I will be returning and see if I have better luck with the XXL. Update: The XXL weren't much better. Slightly easier to get over my boots, but the fit is so tight ..."
Old March 20th 19, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec
external usenet poster

Or you could like just fly a DG, no cold feet here. It is weird seeing your toes directly ahead though.
Old March 21st 19, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, March 19, 2019 at 11:12:17 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, March 19, 2019 at 11:51:27 AM UTC-4, Tom BravoMike wrote:
Today (March 19, 2019), ArcticShield Men's Boot Insulator price reduced on Amazon to $14.35 (medium size). Just have ordered a pair.

Thanks for the tip. Alas, size "medium" is only claimed to fit mens' shoe sizes 8-9. Also one reviewer on Amazon said this:
"... they are sized too small. I wear an 11.5, so I ordered the XL (12-13) to be safe. I tried them on 3 different pairs of uninsulated boots, but none of them fit. Not only are they too short, but the bend for the ankle is all wrong, resulting in the toe not fitting. I will be returning and see if I have better luck with the XXL. Update: The XXL weren't much better. Slightly easier to get over my boots, but the fit is so tight ..."

OK, so I got them today (medium size). Thinner than I thought, but will have to try them out in cold and wet conditions. My size is 8.5 and they fit my shoes without any problem. I have ordered another pair for my brother immediately. Flying or hiking in the woods, they may provide SOME additional protection. No big risk at $13.40 (yes, the price went down even more).
Old March 21st 19, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

We've been wearing them for wave flying for a year or two with only
sneakers underneath.Â* They're terrific at keeping the feet warm.Â* I
don't think they'd be worth much for hiking, however.Â* They're designed
for sitting in a tree or duck blind in miserable weather, which is an
apt description for the top of the wave...

On 3/20/2019 6:26 PM, Tom BravoMike wrote:
ArcticShield Men's Boot Insulator

--
Dan, 5J