Rear-view camera?

Old December 5th 13, 03:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob S

Default Rear-view camera?

Has anyone tried using a rear view camera and display in their glider, similar to the automobile back-up cam/display system? Any comments? Should we or shouldn't we?
Old December 5th 13, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, December 4, 2013 9:22:42 PM UTC-6, Bob S wrote:
Has anyone tried using a rear view camera and display in their glider, similar to the automobile back-up cam/display system? Any comments? Should we or shouldn't we?

As long as you don't make that beeping sound while backing up your glider, I think a rear-view camera would be fine. Keeping an eye on it while thermaling and properly interpreting the picture might be a huge challenge, though. I stick with my PFlarm.
J7
Old December 5th 13, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Hahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... giggle, snort, gasp...

Merry Christmas!

Old December 6th 13, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Wednesday, December 4, 2013 10:22:42 PM UTC-5, Bob S wrote:
a rear view camera and display in their glider...

I think I should be too busy for a rear view camera to be more than a distraction, but there is a lot of research in the UAV community to use robotic vision for passive collision avoidance. Current research systems are very lightweight, compact and use very little power. If you eventually put one of those systems in your glider, it will be like having R2D2 in the backseat spotting boogies.

Old December 6th 13, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Some of us have used a convex mirror mounted on or near the top of the panel for this purpose. It works pretty well.
Old December 6th 13, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, December 5, 2013 11:35:00 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:

it will be like having R2D2 in the backseat spotting boogies.

I would more concerned with bogeys, although boogies have the potential to be rather distracting... though generally not too dangerous.
Old December 7th 13, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Higgs

I haven't been able to find reverse with the gear stick...

Old December 7th 13, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

On 12/7/2013 9:20 AM, Peter Higgs wrote:
I haven't been able to find reverse with the gear stick...

boson trouble?
Old December 7th 13, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vaughn

On 12/7/2013 11:20 AM, Peter Higgs wrote:
I haven't been able to find reverse with the gear stick...

How about your turn signals?

Vaughn
Old December 8th 13, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

On Wednesday, December 4, 2013 7:22:42 PM UTC-8, Bob S wrote:
Has anyone tried using a rear view camera and display in their glider, similar to the automobile back-up cam/display system? Any comments? Should we or shouldn't we?

Not the same as soaring . . . I have a rear view mirror in my Husky for towing, mounted high and looking back through the top skylight. When not dragging things on a rope, it's handy to keep an eye on my golden retriever in the back seat (or wife when she's there). Unless flying formation with a Super Cub (they are slow enough they're always behind a Husky), I almost never look at the mirror unless for the aforementioned activities. I have PFlarm in both Husky and glider, agree with JJ, better'n a camera. Besides, bright back lit displays take a fair amount of power.

bumper

Rear View Cameras Ken Kochanski (KK) Soaring 8 June 12th 09 07:48 PM
Old pics - new scans 2 - A view of the valley floor from a Tornado rear seat Dave Kearton Aviation Photos 1 January 15th 08 05:24 AM
Old pics - new scans 2 - A view of the valley floor from a Tornado rear seat 2 Dave Kearton Aviation Photos 0 January 15th 08 04:56 AM
Historic Bombers Boeing B-52 Stratofortresses Lined up on the Taxiway Rear View.jpg (1/1) J.F. Aviation Photos 0 October 26th 07 01:18 AM
high-speed camera view of a piston intake, combustion, exhaust R.Hubbell General Aviation 0 February 20th 04 03:36 AM