BRSS Boomerang Trophy

Old May 20th 14, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Piet Barber

Default BRSS Boomerang Trophy

In case you've never heard of it, BRSS has a boomerang trophy that has been under the careful protection of Skyline Soaring Club in Front Royal, VA. The trophy's history is he http://www.brss.net/boomerang.htm .

For the past 2 years, the Boomerang has spent most of its time at Front Royal. We've proudly displayed the trophy since Shane Neitzey flew an amazing 259 miles to Erwin North Carolina in 2012.

On Sunday, JP Stewart came up from New Castle to reclaim the trophy. (I'm actually surprised he hasn't posted anything here yet)
http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...l?dsId=3655002
Until Sunday, the Boomerang trophy hasn't been at New Castle for 10 years.

The Skyline Soaring Club was up-in-arms at this "forced relocation." By Sunday evening, we called up the fleet of private ships to retrieve it. "LAUNCH THE FLEET! We must retrieve the boomerang!"

The best potential for an easy trip to New Castle was forecast to be Monday -- the day immediately following the relocation. We sent out a poll of pilots interested in performing the retrieval. As with any Monday operations, careers, contests at Mifflin, visiting house guests and all sorts of other reasons whittled the fleet down to one. Undaunted by the solitude, I set out and completed the 141 mile journey to retrieve the Boomerang in just over 3 hours. The flight was mostly cloud-streeting over the mountains, with occasional turning in very strong 8-10 knot lift.

The trophy never found time to get comfy on that wall at BRSS. It hadn't been at BRSS for more than 18 hours before going back to Front Royal.
http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...htId=392340932

Here are some pics:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/+...16746375005649
Old May 20th 14, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Cool. Some great names on that trophy. Now if ya'll would just remove the silly "500km radius of BRSS" restriction, we could have some real fun. It sure would look purdy on the wall up at Blairstown, way north of the Mason-Dixon line :-)

P3
Old May 21st 14, 04:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JP Stewart

We'll get those Front-Royalans back soon! Both flights were well done and I'm glad Piet got the chance to get it as I did.
JP