Strobe light on glider

Old January 24th 17, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

Default Strobe light on glider

On Tuesday, January 24, 2017 at 3:23:12 PM UTC-5, Papa3 wrote:
Don't have the energy (ha) today to do a detailed read, but something like this should give some clue:

http://www.imedpub.com/articles/avia...visibility.pdf

One sentence early on reads: "It is stated that an intensity of 350 cd is required for a signal light to be
visible from 0.125 miles away in conditions corresponding to a runway visual range of 0.125
miles".

So, 1/8 of a mile requires 350 Candela (in a runway setting, where there might be more contrast with ground items?) We probably want 1 mile ideally? So, some math converting Candela to Lumens (which is what is reported in the specs for strobes) would get you some rough approximation of the lumens required to be visible over some reasonable angle (steridians). A very quick back of the envelope tells me that a bike strobe (typically 200-400 lumens) is several orders of magnitude too weak to be useful. Maybe someone has the time to run numbers and make sure I didn't add when I should've divided etc.

P3

There was another study that I posted a link to a couple of months ago. That study concluded that a reflective foil (mirror like) is hugely more effective than LED lights in bright light.

On another note, when ordering my new glider a year ago I asked German pilots about how good the LED lights on the gliders were. The response was not to bother with it.

Saying that LED strobe would sure help under a cloud street. In that situation even a bicycle strobe would help.

Old January 25th 17, 05:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Wednesday, January 25, 2017 at 12:00:01 PM UTC+13, Andrzej Kobus wrote:

Saying that LED strobe would sure help under a cloud street. In that situation even a bicycle strobe would help.

I'd be happy just to increase my chances in low light and high on collision risk situations like flying under cloud streets.

To say that, a conspicuity light MUST be effective in bright sunlight in order to be worthwhile, is missing the point.

Old January 25th 17, 06:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian[_2_]

On 25/01/2017 01:00, Andrzej Kobus wrote:

There was another study that I posted a link to a couple of months
ago. That study concluded that a reflective foil (mirror like) is
hugely more effective than LED lights in bright light.

The UK Military gliding group did a study into high visibility markings
years ago. They did a bunch of flight tests with motor gliders. I think
they found that most markings were not very effective, but reflective
mirror strips on the control surfaces were the most useful. As the
controls move about there is more chance of a reflection flash catching
the other pilots attention.

It was written up in Sailplane and Gliding. It would probably be worth
finding that article before you spend money on anything.

Old January 25th 17, 08:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

At 06:49 25 January 2017, Ian wrote:
On 25/01/2017 01:00, Andrzej Kobus wrote:

There was another study that I posted a link to a couple of months
ago. That study concluded that a reflective foil (mirror like) is
hugely more effective than LED lights in bright light.

The UK Military gliding group did a study into high visibility markings
years ago. They did a bunch of flight tests with motor gliders. I think
they found that most markings were not very effective, but reflective
mirror strips on the control surfaces were the most useful. As the
controls move about there is more chance of a reflection flash catching
the other pilots attention.

It was written up in Sailplane and Gliding. It would probably be worth
finding that article before you spend money on anything.

Problem is that adding foil to the control surfaces would probably alter
the weight and balance beyond limits

Old January 25th 17, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I know the reflective foil/tape is very light, but consider the possible
impact (a pun, perhaps?) of causing an imbalance on a control surface.

--
Dan, 5J
Old January 25th 17, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Am Mittwoch, 25. Januar 2017 07:49:35 UTC+1 schrieb Ian:
On 25/01/2017 01:00, Andrzej Kobus wrote:

There was another study that I posted a link to a couple of months
ago. That study concluded that a reflective foil (mirror like) is
hugely more effective than LED lights in bright light.

The UK Military gliding group did a study into high visibility markings
years ago. They did a bunch of flight tests with motor gliders. I think
they found that most markings were not very effective, but reflective
mirror strips on the control surfaces were the most useful. As the
controls move about there is more chance of a reflection flash catching
the other pilots attention.

It was written up in Sailplane and Gliding. It would probably be worth
finding that article before you spend money on anything.

I still think that they did not ask the right question. They asked: What is the average distance at which skilled pilots detect the other traffic, and the distance varied a little bit with the methods, but was always well above the distance necessary to avoid the other traffic. They should have asked the question: How high is the likelihood that the other traffic is detected at a distance of 2 NM. And how you value the different methods might be very different when you use the second question and not the first.

Old January 26th 17, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

What about this option from DG, or whatever they're called this week?
"Flashlight"
Probably looks like Wudolph the Wed Nosed Weindeer!
Jim

http://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/en/dg-a...etter+1+2017+e
Old January 26th 17, 05:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Thursday, January 26, 2017 at 4:09:37 PM UTC+13, JS wrote:

http://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/en/dg-a...etter+1+2017+e

It's curious that this light is red and not white. Is there a regulation that requires forward facing conspicuity lights to be red?

I've seen several forward facing white 'landing lights' on power planes that add conspicuousness.
Old January 26th 17, 06:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Malone

On Monday, January 23, 2017 at 8:58:52 PM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
A while ago several people remarked that Schleicher gliders offer a strobe was an option.

Below is an URL to a youtube video of such strobe. Typically the strobe is coupled with an unit from LxNav that allow the strobe to be on, only flash with Flarm warning, or off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMdGXX11Bs4

Appreciate all the discussion - thanks to all who have contributed.

Proairsport. New ultra light glider/airplane GR8 Soaring 26 June 5th 15 06:06 AM
Light Sport pilot glider (add on) [email protected] Soaring 12 April 20th 11 12:20 AM
Woodstock Light Glider Fly-By Video Link Gary Osoba Soaring 2 September 4th 09 02:47 PM
Strobe light usage Roger Long Piloting 4 August 7th 04 04:21 PM
Ultra light Glider regulations Denis G Soaring 5 May 24th 04 06:19 PM