2019 SSA handicap list

Old February 28th 19, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

Default 2019 SSA handicap list

On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 7:02:55 AM UTC-7, Tom (TK) wrote:
On Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 9:07:37 PM UTC-6, Tony wrote:
Yes. https://www.ssa.org/ContestHandicaps

When you click the download "here" button the files is unreadable. The web page content says it is from 2009.

According to the page/link that I open it is the current list.

It appears that there is a penalty for the A model although it is claimed to have noticeably higher performance in glide. Handicapping must be one of the "Dark Arts".
Old February 28th 19, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

I assume the handicaps are weight based and do not include any adjustments for prop drag on FES models or drag from unsealed bay doors for gliders with motors on a mast.

Is that correct?

I don't know of any data on unsealed bay doors. I do believe data on FES drag is out there someplace.

Thanks!

Lou
Old February 28th 19, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 10:58:59 AM UTC-5, MNLou wrote:
I assume the handicaps are weight based and do not include any adjustments for prop drag on FES models or drag from unsealed bay doors for gliders with motors on a mast.

Is that correct?

I don't know of any data on unsealed bay doors. I do believe data on FES drag is out there someplace.

Thanks!

Lou

"Results of Flight Performance Determination of the Lak‐17a FES (S5‐3117)
using the comparison flight method
in Aalen‐Heidenheim‐Elchingen, August 20th and 21st 2012" - you can see it at http://www.front-electric-sustainer....A%20FES_en.pdf . If the link doesn't work use your search engine with title to find it. Fig 9 shows what to my eye is about 2 pts less of L/D at 160 kph and they say: "A clearly determinable but small drag increase due to the presence of the two propeller blades can be seen." If you look at the most current (2018) DAeC (German) handicaps ( https://www.daec.de/fileadmin/user_u...-WO_2018ki.pdf "), the handicap for FES is the same as the base glider, which seems to indicate that the increase in wing loading and the drag of the FES balance, which seems reasonable.
Dan
Old February 28th 19, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 10:58:59 AM UTC-5, MNLou wrote:
I assume the handicaps are weight based and do not include any adjustments for prop drag on FES models or drag from unsealed bay doors for gliders with motors on a mast.

Is that correct?

I don't know of any data on unsealed bay doors. I do believe data on FES drag is out there someplace.

Thanks!

Lou

There is a 1.4% adjustment for props on FES ships, developed from information available last year when this first came up.
UH
Old February 28th 19, 08:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

the reference weight for the B is 30 lbs higher.
Old February 28th 19, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

flying 165 lbs heavier ought to make the glider go faster?
Old March 1st 19, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 12:14:36 PM UTC-7, Tony wrote:
the reference weight for the B is 30 lbs higher.

Which equals about the same percentage difference in handicaps between the A and B. It does not address the noticeably better glide of the A though.
Old March 1st 19, 10:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

At 01:03 01 March 2019, Mike C wrote:
On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 12:14:36 PM UTC-7, Tony wrote:
the reference weight for the B is 30 lbs higher.

Which equals about the same percentage difference in handicaps between

the
A and B. It does not address the noticeably better glide of the A though.

The A definitely goes better than the B. It has a wider range of wing

Now that the UK CC has set the V3 handicap the same as the V2 (and 27!),
does anyone in the USA want to buy a V2a?

Old March 1st 19, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Why determine the handicaps dry? Surely in competition, most gliders are being flown pretty much maxed out with ballast. It would make more sense to use the MTOW as the reference weight and then it would take out these discussions about FES being heavier than standard.
Old March 1st 19, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, March 1, 2019 at 1:42:52 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Why determine the handicaps dry? Surely in competition, most gliders are being flown pretty much maxed out with ballast. It would make more sense to use the MTOW as the reference weight and then it would take out these discussions about FES being heavier than standard.

The list is specifically designed for Sports Class, thus the title.
By definition those ships are flown without disposable ballast.
UH