Fuses in general

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 9th 08, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara[_2_]

Default Fuses in general

I always use automotive type flat spade fuses on the battery itself...the
fuses and fuse holders are far more durable than round glass fuses.

I honestly have no idea where we come up with some of these ideas for
battery holders and hold down's...
nowhere in AC4313 or any aviation mechanics books will you ever see bungee
cords (these are for holding your lunch box on your Schwinn, Hose clamps
(these are for....you guessed it...hoses!), Tie wraps....these are for
wrapping up your Christmas tree lights after January 1st ...or duct tape,
Velcro, handcuffs....or??? I've even found packaging tape and pine 2x4's in
gliders...Keep in mind these are still aircraft we are talking about and
even if they weren't, even automobiles has simple but strong bolts and
brackets to anchor their batteries....just like normal aircraft do...it
doesn't take too much imagination to make a simple and secure battery anchor
using real nuts and bolts...and if it's done right it is as or simpler to
remove and replace the battery with a wingnut or an over-center latch and a
safety pin...
tim

Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at www.wingsandwheels.com

"brianDG303" wrote in message
First, a nit-pick; incandescent lamps are resistive and not inductive
and inrush isn't a common component. But low voltage lighting systems
with a core and coil transformer is exactly what will pop a fast fuse.

I would use Anderson Powerpole connectors and strap the batteries down
with good-sized nylon ties, you can get quite large ones if needed. Or
you could heat-shrink some parts of the hose clamp. Also, it sounds
like the battery connectors you are using leave the connections
exposed, if so an insulated connector is suggested. If using crimp
connectors use Panduit brand or maybe AMP and NEVER use the cheap ones
that you see everywhere.

Anderson powerpoles will allow two batteries to be connected, but it
will be + to + and - to - and that might be less entertaining. I guess
if the batteries are at the same voltage nothing would happen.
Anderson uses a small roll pin to join two connectors together, I
really don't like the pins and let a little glue wick between them
instead.

resettable fuses - US source? Gary Emerson Soaring 12 November 9th 07 10:09 PM
fuses vs. circuit breakers raulb Soaring 0 November 8th 07 02:48 PM
Bussman Fuses kevmor Piloting 10 May 25th 07 03:25 AM
Bussman Fuses kevmor Piloting 2 May 22nd 07 09:28 PM
Fuses versus Breakers ContestID67 Soaring 14 March 14th 05 01:47 PM