Volcanic Ash Prog

Old May 11th 10, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
sid

Default Volcanic Ash Prog

Having never flown overseas, where can I find a prog/forcast/airmet
describing the location and hazard areas of the current ash cloud over
Iceland.

Any way to tell what airports are closed and which ones plan to be
closed ?

Thanks
Old May 11th 10, 05:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

sid writes:

Having never flown overseas, where can I find a prog/forcast/airmet
describing the location and hazard areas of the current ash cloud over
Iceland.

http://met.no has links to a regularly-updated animation of the projected
movement of the ash cloud (which may or may not match the actual movement).
Looks like it will pass over parts of the UK again tomorrow. It's spewing a
lot of ash over the North Atlantic, too.

If your flight path or destination/departure airport is anywhere near this
cloud, you may have a problem.

Ryanair has admitted that it has found ash in engines in some of its aircraft,
even though they avoided the areas that were supposed to contain ash:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/n...nd/8672663.stm
Old May 11th 10, 06:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

There is a better ash map at http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8625813.stm
Old May 11th 10, 09:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andy Hawkins

Hi,

In article ,
wrote:
Having never flown overseas, where can I find a prog/forcast/airmet
describing the location and hazard areas of the current ash cloud over
Iceland.

These are the 'official' forecasts we use in the UK. You might need to
register for a free account to see them.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation...aacuk_vag.html

Andy

Avoiding Volcanic Ash brian whatcott Instrument Flight Rules 6 July 2nd 10 10:43 AM
Avoiding Volcanic Ash brian whatcott Piloting 5 May 10th 10 09:32 PM
Volcanic Plume & Clouds chris Soaring 2 June 25th 09 03:51 AM
"Volcanic ash is aviation hazard" Mike Military Aviation 4 June 30th 04 06:51 PM
LF: EEPROM prog software for PAE 5610 radios. Ottawa Aviation Marketplace 0 January 8th 04 03:26 AM