Cobra trailer tire size?

Old May 27th 10, 03:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Default Cobra trailer tire size?

I'm separated from my trailer by several hundred km, but I have the
rim and what very little is left of the blown tire, and I need to know
what size the tire ... was. It's a 2008 trailer. Does Cobra make their
trailers all with the same size tires (for 15/18M ships anyway)? if so
does ne1 have the numbers handy?

many thanks

ted/2NO
Old May 27th 10, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley

On May 26, 8:20�pm, Tuno wrote:
I'm separated from my trailer by several hundred km, but I have the
rim and what very little is left of the blown tire, and I need to know
what size the tire ... was. It's a 2008 trailer. Does Cobra make their
trailers all with the same size tires (for 15/18M ships anyway)? if so
does ne1 have the numbers handy?

many thanks

ted/2NO

You ever see a Toyota swaying going down the road?? Go to Wal Mart,
Size 185/70R14. Forget all this BS about tires. Period. Mounted and
balanced about $45 or $50 each and I put 15,000 plus miles on my cobra
trailer tires ever year. These have been the best riding and wear by
far. You can take that to the bank.
Next Toyota you see swaying down the road, well, follow them, as its a
great party they are having and ask if you can join in..........
Old May 27th 10, 11:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nine Bravo Ground

On May 26, 7:41*pm, Tom Kelley wrote:
On May 26, 8:20 pm, Tuno wrote:

I'm separated from my trailer by several hundred km, but I have the
rim and what very little is left of the blown tire, and I need to know
what size the tire ... was. It's a 2008 trailer. Does Cobra make their
trailers all with the same size tires (for 15/18M ships anyway)? if so
does ne1 have the numbers handy?

many thanks

ted/2NO

You ever see a Toyota swaying going down the road?? Go to Wal Mart,
Size 185/70R14. Forget all this BS about tires. Period. Mounted and
balanced about $45 or $50 each and I put 15,000 plus miles on my cobra
trailer tires ever year. These have been the best riding and wear by
far. You can take that to the bank.
Next Toyota you see swaying down the road, well, follow them, as its a
great party they are having and ask if you can join in..........

My 2003 Cobra has 175/70R14 tires. In the past there has been a ton
of discussion on r.a.s. about the finer points of this matter. I
recall comments about changes in tires and rims over the years. The
guys at the tire shop (WalMart or otherwise) should be able to fit a
tire based on the rim, but it might not match the profile on the other
side so best to check what's on the trailer - or call John Murray to
confirm whether there is a definitive size for your model year.

9B
Old May 27th 10, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On May 26, 7:20*pm, Tuno wrote:

On mine

Original fit - Continental VanCo 185R14C
Recent replacement - Yokohama Supervan 356 185R14 6PR LT

I decided to use a tyre that was trailer rated but that may not be
needed.

GW fitted larger trailer rated tyres ( 2xx instead of 185) that are
available at much lower cost at CostCo. Ask him what he used.

BTW popular wisdom is to change 2 tires but yours may not be old
enough yet for that to be justified.

If you are stuck for a spare I can loan you the good tyre I removed.
You will have to mount it and return it to me when you find a
replacement. It's 8 years old so use at your own risk.

Andy (GY)

Old June 1st 10, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

On 5/27/2010 7:49 AM, Andy wrote:
On May 26, 7:20 pm, wrote:

On mine

Original fit - Continental VanCo 185R14C
Recent replacement - Yokohama Supervan 356 185R14 6PR LT

I decided to use a tyre that was trailer rated but that may not be
needed.

The Yokohama tire you list is a LT (light truck) tire. Does Yokohama
have a trailer rating for it in addition to the LT rating?

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (netto to net to email me)

Old June 1st 10, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

On 5/26/2010 7:41 PM, Tom Kelley wrote:
On May 26, 8:20�pm, wrote:

I'm separated from my trailer by several hundred km, but I have the
rim and what very little is left of the blown tire, and I need to know
what size the tire ... was. It's a 2008 trailer. Does Cobra make their
trailers all with the same size tires (for 15/18M ships anyway)? if so
does ne1 have the numbers handy?

many thanks

ted/2NO

You ever see a Toyota swaying going down the road??

The reason Toyotas don't sway is they are not being towed. Trailers stop
swaying and go straight after they break loose from the tow vehicle, too.

Go to Wal Mart,
Size 185/70R14. Forget all this BS about tires. Period. Mounted and
balanced about $45 or $50 each and I put 15,000 plus miles on my cobra
trailer tires ever year. These have been the best riding and wear by
far. You can take that to the bank.
Next Toyota you see swaying down the road, well, follow them, as its a
great party they are having and ask if you can join in..........

Do you tow the trailer with any vehicle besides that huge motorhome? If
not, your experience may not be applicable to Ted's situation.

How did you compare the ride of the Wal-Mart tires to other tires? I'm
imagining you sitting in the glider, in the trailer, as a dedicated crew
person tows the trailer up and down a bumpy Interstate, trying a
different set of tires every 30 minutes, but that's probably too dramatic.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (netto to net to email me)

- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl

- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz

Old June 1st 10, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On May 31, 8:47*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:

The Yokohama tire you list is a LT (light truck) tire. Does Yokohama
have a trailer rating for it in addition to the LT rating?

Don't know. Maybe the dealer lied to me. I asked for trailer rated
tires and he told me they were. They were not a stock item he needed
to move, they were ordered from the Yokohama warehouse. Normally I
do a lot of research on something like this but I was distracted by
other things and just needed to get it done.. Anyway they seem to
work just fine so far.

Andy
Old June 2nd 10, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

On 6/1/2010 9:29 AM, Andy wrote:
On May 31, 8:47 pm, Eric wrote:

The Yokohama tire you list is a LT (light truck) tire. Does Yokohama
have a trailer rating for it in addition to the LT rating?

Don't know. Maybe the dealer lied to me. I asked for trailer rated
tires and he told me they were. They were not a stock item he needed
to move, they were ordered from the Yokohama warehouse. Normally I
do a lot of research on something like this but I was distracted by
other things and just needed to get it done.. Anyway they seem to
work just fine so far.

LT tires are a good match for trailers (better than P type - passenger
car tires - for the same size and speed rating), and are available in
higher speed ranges than the ST trailer rated tires. I couldn't find the
speed rating for your tires, though.

Old June 2nd 10, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold[_3_]

On 6/1/2010 8:46 PM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 6/1/2010 9:29 AM, Andy wrote:
On May 31, 8:47 pm, Eric wrote:

The Yokohama tire you list is a LT (light truck) tire. Does Yokohama
have a trailer rating for it in addition to the LT rating?

Don't know. Maybe the dealer lied to me. I asked for trailer rated
tires and he told me they were. They were not a stock item he needed
to move, they were ordered from the Yokohama warehouse. Normally I
do a lot of research on something like this but I was distracted by
other things and just needed to get it done.. Anyway they seem to
work just fine so far.

LT tires are a good match for trailers (better than P type - passenger
car tires - for the same size and speed rating)

Why are they better?

Old June 2nd 10, 05:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

LT tires are a good match for trailers (better than P type - passenger
car tires - for the same size and speed rating)

Why are they better?

stiffer sidewalls = less sway...

-p

Cobra Trailer Spare Tire mount failure Barny Soaring 29 July 23rd 15 12:52 AM
Tire Size for 8 Year Old Komet Trailer Papa3 Soaring 4 October 24th 08 12:22 AM
Tire Size for 8 Year Old Komet Trailer Uncle Fuzzy Soaring 0 October 23rd 08 10:39 PM
Trailer tire rims Gary Carter Soaring 7 January 21st 05 03:15 PM
Tire Stiffness & trailer swaying chris Soaring 42 October 22nd 03 03:51 AM