Those *dangerous* Korean War relics

Old June 5th 06, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Those *dangerous* Korean War relics

"Neil Gould" wrote in message
.com...
Recently, Matt Barrow posted:

"Neil Gould" wrote in message
Recently, Jim Macklin posted:

Importation of slaves was illegal in the USA after 1807, but
ownership was still legal. The South's economy was based on
hand labor agriculture, cotton. A lot of white people
fought and died to free the slaves. A lot of Southerners
fought and died to preserve their life-style. Both were
honorable.
So, you believe it is honorable to fight and die to preserve the
ability to own people as property?

Gee...isn't hindsight beautiful? Wanna bet a months pay which side
you'd have been on IN REAL TIME? Bet that145 years ago, you'd been
"Massa".

As a matter of historical fact, my ancestors were not "Massa" as far back
as the early 1700s, which is about as far back as I've been able to trace
them.

I didn't say your ancestors, I said YOU!

We can make arrangements for you to send your month's pay to me later.

When you learn to differentiate between yourself and other people...unless
you have multiple personalities.

Old June 5th 06, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
People were killed in "Bloody Kansas" for lots or reasons
that make little sense today.

And it was not considered a fight against slavery until after 1863. Lincoln
added that to bolster support when the war was going badly. That had a
reverse effect, manifesting in the anti-draft riots.

wrote in message
ups.com...

| Matt Barrow wrote:
| "Neil Gould" wrote in message
| om...
| Recently, Jim Macklin
posted:

| Importation of slaves was illegal in the USA after
1807, but
| ownership was still legal. The South's economy was
based on
| hand labor agriculture, cotton. A lot of white
people
| fought and died to free the slaves. A lot of
Southerners
| fought and died to preserve their life-style. Both
were
| honorable.
|
| The petitions issued from the south prior to 1861 all
regarded TARIFFS that
| were deliberatley put in place to favor the industrial
north.

| Nobody killed anyone in bloody Kansas over tariffs.
|
| How about petitions issued from the North, calling for the
aboltion
| of slavery?
|
| Do you think any southern politician would have agreed to
a compromise
| abolishing both? Pretty much every abolitionist would
have jumped
| at that opportunity.
|

| So, you believe it is honorable to fight and die to
preserve the ability
| to own people as property?
|
| Gee...isn't hindsight beautiful? Wanna bet a months pay
which side you'd
| have been on IN REAL TIME? Bet that145 years ago, you'd
been "Massa".

| Dunno about him, but 145 years ago my great-great
gandfather, an
| Irish immigrant, enlisted with the Ohio 41st volunteer
infantry.

Old June 5th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jonathan" wrote in message
Gary Drescher wrote:

So you, too, believe the US was a free country until 1864, but not after?

Define "free country" and what makes a country "free" or not.

And it didn't just go On-Off, it was gradual over the course of many years.

Old June 5th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Gary Drescher wrote:

"Skywise" wrote in message

I'll second that. I'm sick and tired of the descendents of
the slaves demanding recompense (in whatever form) from the
descendents of the slave owners. Were you personally enslaved?
Were you personally a slave owner? I thought not.

Have you directly or indirectly inherited some of the wealth that the
slave owners stole from the black population? Thought so.

And both the blacks and the whites stole it from the native Americans, so
if anyone is owed compensation.... :-)

And they stole it from...

Old June 5th 06, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Skywise" wrote in message
"Gary Drescher" wrote in
:

Returning stolen property to it's rightful owner is one thing. But
we are talking about you and me today paying blacks of today some
sort of punitive reparations for what happened over a hundred years
ago by people and to people who are long dead.

Don't try using rationality on an irrational dupe.

Old June 5th 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Beckman" wrote in message

And you'll find that you also have white people with black slaves in their
family history and black people with white slave owners in their family
trees as well.

eg: Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings...

You may want to reinvestigate that: at best they can find it was one of the
Jefferson family and, IIRC, Tom Jefferson was in Europe when Hemings became
pregnant.

Old June 5th 06, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Here's the title of the book in question: Out of America: A Black Man
Confronts Africa

And the author: Keith Richburg (He was Washington Post Reporter stationed
in Africa)

And how to buy it:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/015...lance&n=283155

And the Google Search String I used:
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...frica+Reporter

A quote that sums up his feelings:

"Mr Richburg, who is now working for the Washington Post in Hong Kong, says
he is not condoning the evil of slavery, but insists that condemning it
should not blind blacks to the fact that good has emerged from it..."

Old June 5th 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Skywise wrote:
"Jim Macklin" wrote in
I'll second that. I'm sick and tired of the descendents of
the slaves demanding recompense (in whatever form) from the
descendents of the slave owners. Were you personally enslaved?
Were you personally a slave owner? I thought not. Remember the
past, yes, but get over it.

None of the above. My maternal ancestors came over during the Potato Famine to
Massachusetts. It's safe to assume they didn't own anybody. My paternal
grandparents came here from Austria in 1920. hey didn't own anyone either.
Given those facts, I don't believe I owe anyone ****.

The Poles abused my grandfather; he hated them. Do I hate Poles? Hell, no.
What have they ever done to *me*? Nothing. What's in the past is in the past.
If it were a part of my own life experience, I might hold a grudge. But it
isn't... so I don't.

People like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson latch onto issues like this to cover
their personal lack of achievement.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old June 5th 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Matt Barrow wrote:
"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
People were killed in "Bloody Kansas" for lots or reasons
that make little sense today.

And it was not considered a fight against slavery until after 1863. Lincoln
added that to bolster support when the war was going badly. That had a
reverse effect, manifesting in the anti-draft riots.

What was the motive for the murders at Pottawatomie Creek, tariffs?

What do you consider to be the issues that divided Kansans?

Don't you think we should move this to a newsgroup where it is
on-topic like soc.history.war.us-civil-war or alt.war.civil.usa.

--

FF

Old June 5th 06, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Neil Gould" wrote in message
Recently, Matt Barrow posted:

Gee...isn't hindsight beautiful? Wanna bet a months pay which side
you'd have been on IN REAL TIME? Bet that145 years ago, you'd been
"Massa".

As a matter of historical fact, my ancestors were not "Massa" as far
back as the early 1700s, which is about as far back as I've been
able to trace them.

I didn't say your ancestors, I said YOU!

In which case, this is even more unlikely. I am completely against the
idea that people can be "owned" by another person.

We can make arrangements for you to send your month's pay to me
later.

When you learn to differentiate between yourself and other
people...unless you have multiple personalities.

What "other people" might you be referring to, Matt? I thought you were
referring to something that could be empirically determined but was
obviously mistaken, as your "clarification" suggests. None the less, your
"clarification" only makes things easier, since I am quite clear about my
attitudes toward slavery, and they are completely incongruous with any
possibility of being "Massa". Get your check ready.

Neil