NATCA Going Down in Flames

Old September 5th 06, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

Default NATCA Going Down in Flames

"BTIZ" wrote in message

If you are going to get paid for being a professional, you should dress
like a professional.

When I worked ATC, it was not the white shirt and narrow tie, but dress
slacks "Dockers" and sport shirts or collared golf shirts with pocket were
expected with decent shoes.

You never knew when there would be a tour coming through, Boy Scouts,
Rotary Club, Local Pilots on a "Raincheck" program, or maybe even the US
Senator or House Rep.

Perception is the whole thing, look like a bum and people will think you
work like a bum.

UPS delivery drivers wear shorts. They look professional.

Old September 5th 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
snip

UPS delivery drivers wear shorts. They look professional.

You think? I don't.
Old September 5th 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Emily" wrote in message
. ..

I saw it at BMI about four years ago.

I've never seen it. I don't think it was a problem. But if it had been,
the FAA could simply have banned cut-offs and flip-flops.

Old September 5th 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Jose" wrote in message
om...

I suspect also that the ones who leave (other than for retirement) would
be the ones who can easily find work elsewhere. ATC would be left with...

Absolutely. It's also worth noting that those that are eligible to retire
today are the most experienced controllers. They are those that became
controllers before standards were lowered.

Old September 5th 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"BTIZ" wrote in message

I'm betting that dress codes are in the employee handbook.
Now the management have decided to enforce it.

How much are you willing to wager?

Old September 5th 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Emily" wrote in message
. ..

You think? I don't.

I wouldn't have written it if I didn't.

Old September 5th 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Stadt

"Stefan" wrote in message
Jay Honeck schrieb:

But, in truth, it's not an issue of whether dressing up (or down) is a
good idea -- it's the fact that the union seems to think they have the
right to dress however they please.

I think that, too.

If an employer can't even set a
dress code without inciting a union grievance, what does that say about
the attitude of their employees?

I wouldn't allow my empoyer to dictate how I have to dress, either.

Stefan

Your employer would have every right to teminate your employment if a dress
was established and you did not comply.

Old September 5th 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Stadt

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...

The fact that tours can be arranged argues for them to not look like
bums.

I sometimes get deliveries from UPS, the drivers wear shorts in the
summer. They don't look like bums to me. Why do you think they do? Have
you ever seen actual bums wearing shorts?

UPS has an extremely strict dress code. Wanna guess what happens to drivers
that don't comply?

Old September 5th 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Dave Stadt" wrote in message

UPS has an extremely strict dress code. Wanna guess what happens to
drivers that don't comply?

I'd expect they'd be fired.