NATCA Going Down in Flames

Old September 5th 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Default NATCA Going Down in Flames

Jose wrote:
But why is the union making such a big deal about it? To tell
employees that a supervisor making a comment about dress constitutes a
"meeting", well...that's why I'm glad we don't have unions at my
particular part of the company.

To make it difficult for the management, in the hopes that they will
rethink their position (or at least be punished for holding it).

Again, what's the point? Management isn't the enemy...or is that a
naive position?
Old September 5th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Jose wrote:
And they better be starched with crisp creases.

Why? What positive effect can there be in that?

Air safety of course. Would you trust a vector given to you by somebody
who doesn't even starch their pants? g

I'm glad you can't see how some of my coworkers dress. You'd never get
on half the commercial aircraft out there ever again.
Old September 5th 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

To make it difficult for the management, in the hopes that they will rethink their position (or at least be punished for holding it).
Again, what's the point? Management isn't the enemy...or is that a naive position?

Thems that came up with the dress code is the enemy. (my presumption -
I am not a controller and have no dog in the fight). Sometimes it's
unavoidable if there is collateral damage in these fights, but the buck
has to stop somewhere. The idea is to make implementation of their plan
difficult.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old September 5th 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Emily wrote:
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"Emily" wrote in message
. ..

But why is the union making such a big deal about it? To tell
employees that a supervisor making a comment about dress constitutes
a "meeting", well...that's why I'm glad we don't have unions at my
particular part of the company.

I don't think they're making a bid deal about the dress code, they,re
making a big deal about the imposed "contract". The dress code is
just one part of it.

I guess I've never figured out why, if an employee doesn't like the
rules he is subjected to, he just doesn't find something else to do. A
union certainly isn't the solution.

A union is like welfare from the government. It saves people having to
think for, and take care of, themselves.

Matt
Old September 5th 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Default POL NATCA Going Down in Flames

A union is like welfare from the government. It saves people having to think for, and take care of, themselves.

Unions have nothing to do with government. A union levels the playing
field, which otherwise is skewed towards the employer. Some unions tip
the playing field too far the other way.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old September 5th 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Rubin

In article . com,
Jay Honeck wrote:
When I take a CAP squadron or Boy Scout Troop on a tower tour, I expect
the controllers to look professional -- period. What does it say when
we require the kids to be in uniform, but the controllers are wearing
flip-flops and cut-off shorts?

It says that dressing like a drone is so 1950s?
--
Steve Rubin / AE6CH / http://www.altdb.net/
Email: / N6441C / http://www.tch.org/~ser/
Old September 5th 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Jose wrote:
A union is like welfare from the government. It saves people having
to think for, and take care of, themselves.

Unions have nothing to do with government. A union levels the playing
field, which otherwise is skewed towards the employer.

But what's wrong with that? Granted, I have a great employer, but
employers aren't evil.
Old September 5th 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Jose wrote:

A union is like welfare from the government. It saves people having
to think for, and take care of, themselves.

Unions have nothing to do with government. A union levels the playing
field, which otherwise is skewed towards the employer. Some unions tip
the playing field too far the other way.

I disagree. It distorts the free market of labor causing inefficiency.

Matt
Old September 5th 06, 03:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Don Tuite

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 20:45:05 -0500, Emily
wrote:

Jose wrote:
A union is like welfare from the government. It saves people having
to think for, and take care of, themselves.

Unions have nothing to do with government. A union levels the playing
field, which otherwise is skewed towards the employer.

But what's wrong with that? Granted, I have a great employer, but
employers aren't evil.

Simply amoral. My objective is to maximize the return on my
investment in time in working for the company. To the extent that the
company considers my time a fungable quantity, I will use whatever
tools are available to discourage that view. Collective bargaining
one such lever. I'd be a fool not to use it.

Don
Old September 5th 06, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

wrote:

Jose wrote:
A union is like welfare from the government. It saves people having
to think for, and take care of, themselves.
Unions have nothing to do with government. A union levels the playing
field, which otherwise is skewed towards the employer.

But what's wrong with that? Granted, I have a great employer, but
employers aren't evil.

Simply amoral. My objective is to maximize the return on my
investment in time in working for the company. To the extent that the
company considers my time a fungable quantity

But isn't it?

I will use whatever
tools are available to discourage that view.

I guess I just don't see anything wrong with that view...