Bussman Fuses

Old May 22nd 07, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
kevmor

Default Bussman Fuses

In a Cessna 150, anyone know where I can find replacement fuses? It's
Bussman AGS 20 (for 20 amp). Thanks

Old May 22nd 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tom L.

On 22 May 2007 11:18:27 -0700, kevmor wrote:

In a Cessna 150, anyone know where I can find replacement fuses? It's
Bussman AGS 20 (for 20 amp). Thanks

These suppliers deal in "hard to find" components. They may charge a
premium (sometimes an enormous one) for finding you a part. You may
want to call avionics shops first.

http://www.codemicro.com/store/check...partid=1224648

http://www.componentsplus.net/manu_det.php?manuID=271
search for ags-20
note minimum order = $250

- Tom
Old May 22nd 07, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

"kevmor" wrote in message
oups.com...
In a Cessna 150, anyone know where I can find replacement fuses? It's
Bussman AGS 20 (for 20 amp). Thanks

Sounds like same number common in automotive fuses. Have you tried an auto
parts store?

Old May 23rd 07, 12:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Maxwell wrote:
"kevmor" wrote in message
oups.com...
In a Cessna 150, anyone know where I can find replacement fuses? It's
Bussman AGS 20 (for 20 amp). Thanks

Sounds like same number common in automotive fuses. Have you tried an auto
parts store?

Grainger has many hard to find fuses, as some are used in telecomm.

Don't forget to purchase only from the "approved aircraft parts" aisle.

Lowes, Home Depot, and sometimes even Radio Shack also have the same aisle.

Old May 23rd 07, 01:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
t...
Maxwell wrote:
"kevmor" wrote in message
oups.com...
In a Cessna 150, anyone know where I can find replacement fuses? It's
Bussman AGS 20 (for 20 amp). Thanks

Sounds like same number common in automotive fuses. Have you tried an
auto parts store?

Grainger has many hard to find fuses, as some are used in telecomm.

Don't forget to purchase only from the "approved aircraft parts" aisle.

Lowes, Home Depot, and sometimes even Radio Shack also have the same
aisle.

Would it matter where an Bussman AGS 20 fuse came from? I really don't know.

Old May 23rd 07, 02:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
t...
Maxwell wrote:
"kevmor" wrote in message
oups.com...
In a Cessna 150, anyone know where I can find replacement fuses? It's
Bussman AGS 20 (for 20 amp). Thanks

Sounds like same number common in automotive fuses. Have you tried an

auto
parts store?

Grainger has many hard to find fuses, as some are used in telecomm.

Don't forget to purchase only from the "approved aircraft parts" aisle.

Lowes, Home Depot, and sometimes even Radio Shack also have the same

aisle.

Bussman is now part of the Cooper Group, and the current data sheets are
available he
http://www.cooperbussmann.com/3/Coop...SheetList.html and the AGS
Series is apparently discontinued.

As a former avionics tech, I was curious since I do not recall ever having
seen an AGS Series fuse. The nomenclature suggests that it was/is a 1/4
inch diameter, fast blow, glass tube type fuse and the letter "S" would have
designated the length.

I was curious and decided to look for it, but could not find anything of
value. However, there are a lot of Cessna 150 aircraft still in service.
My advice, as a former avionics technician, is to ask Cessna and/or a repair
center. There is obviously an approved substitute, which almost certainly
includes a replacement for the Fuse-Holder, and (if it was my aircraft) I
would ask Cessna what kit they offer for the purpose--including any
instruction sheets and guidance on any required maintenance log entries. I
would then purchase the documentation from Cessna and, if it is only
available as a kit with the parts, the additional cost will save the
additional shopping--and time is money. Remember that your alternative is
to rsk a failure at a remote location after the last of those old fuses has
been sold.

Peter

Old May 24th 07, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
kevmor[_3_]

I went to a local auto parts store (Napa) and looked at their fuses.
They're packaged with their logo, but when you look at the fuse itself, it
has the same "BUSS" lettering, I assume they're Bussmann? Other than the
"AGC" instead of "AGS", they seem to be identical. It was $1.50 for 5
compared to $30-50 online (with minimum orders for aircraft parts). Could
it be this easy? I couldn't find on Bussmann's website anywhere that says
AGC replaces AGS, though.

Old May 24th 07, 06:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"kevmor" wrote in message
I went to a local auto parts store (Napa) and looked at their fuses.
They're packaged with their logo, but when you look at the fuse itself, it
has the same "BUSS" lettering, I assume they're Bussmann? Other than the
"AGC" instead of "AGS", they seem to be identical. It was $1.50 for 5
compared to $30-50 online (with minimum orders for aircraft parts). Could
it be this easy? I couldn't find on Bussmann's website anywhere that says
AGC replaces AGS, though.

The real question is not whether the AGC fuse would probably work, but
whether is the authorized replacement; and without the specfications for the
old AGS fuse, that is difficult to guess.

For whatever reason, Cessna does not put a lot of information on line for
public use and the Cessna 150-152 club also requires a member log in to view
their collection of service bulletins. If it was mine, I would certainly
consider a membership that might give me the same collection of reference
material as my mechanic should have.

OTOH, in this case, it looks like the easy answer may be to walk up to the
nearest Cessna parts counter. I have been wrong before, but I think they
will have an authorized substitute; and if the physical size is the same, it
will probably be less than $5, since there will then be no need to replace
the socket. I strongly suspect that the AGS20 was simply a useable part
they had in stock at the time, and that they have long since determined an
appropriate substitute. Therefore, once you have the authorized sample, and
any needed documentation--such as a service bulletin number--things should
be a lot simpler.

BTW, I have lived in Florida for many years and before breaker panels became
common in houses, we kept our household fuses in a glass jar with an
airtight lid until they were needed--otherwise they corroded just enough to
fail shortly after they were installed. Therefore, I do not trust old
fuses; and that is a large part of the reason for my insistance that you
should look for the authorized substitute. The remaining reason, obviously,
is the cost.

I hope this helps
Peter

PS: Yes, BUSS is Bussman.

Old May 24th 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Scott Skylane

kevmor wrote:
I went to a local auto parts store (Napa) and looked at their fuses.
They're packaged with their logo, but when you look at the fuse itself,
it has the same "BUSS" lettering, I assume they're Bussmann? Other than
the "AGC" instead of "AGS", they seem to be identical. It was $1.50 for
5 compared to $30-50 online (with minimum orders for aircraft parts).
Could it be this easy? I couldn't find on Bussmann's website anywhere
that says AGC replaces AGS, though.

Kev,

The AGS fuses have a slightly larger diameter than the AGC's. Length of
the two is the same. As such, an AGC will fit, albeit loosely, an an
AGS socket. As I stated earlier, any decent Cessna parts house should
have these in stock (S1091-20).

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
Old May 25th 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"Peter Dohm" wrote in message ...

"kevmor" wrote in message
[...]

How can you be sure the fuse removed from the plane was the 'approved' fuse as installed from the factory? Is listed in
the airplane's parts list?