MFD recommendations

Old January 25th 04, 07:14 AM
Richard Kaplan

"carlos" wrote in message

Since I already have two very good radios, I think a Garmin 430 would be a
waste of money (even if I traded in one of the KX155s).

At this point in time for a new IFR GPS installation, I think the Garmin
400/500 series or the UPSAT CNX-80 are the leading contenders since these
are the only GPS boxes for which their manufacturers have committed to
providing an upgrade for WAAS GPS precision approaches later this year.

If the Garmin 430 is overkill because you already have 2 Nav/Coms, you might
consider the Garmin GPS 400, which offers the same GPS functions as the
Garmin 430 minus the Nav/Coms.

--
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

Old January 25th 04, 07:14 AM
carlos

Default MFD recommendations

Hi everyone and thanks to all who helped me out with my Garmin 196 v. 295
question. It seems the 196 is ahead by a nose at the moment... (mainly due
to its redraw speed).

Anyway, I just got my plane (first flight was this morning!!! although it
did greet me with a dead battery)... It's a 1977 Cessna 206G for all you
curious bunch.

I'm thinking of adding some avionics and would appreciate your
thoughts/knowledge on this matter.

My current avionics stack includes:

Apollo GX55 IFR GPS
2 KX155 radios
King audio panel, ADF and transponder
S-TEC 50 autopilot

I would like to add a color moving map to my stack as well as a stormscope.
Since I already have two very good radios, I think a Garmin 430 would be a
waste of money (even if I traded in one of the KX155s). A friend of mine
recommended I get a King MFD (150 or 250) which has GPS and moving map, but
no radio. They also interface with the stormscope and the combined cost
would be less than a 430.

I suppose there are other possibilities as well.

Any thought, comments or recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

CGP.

Old January 25th 04, 09:08 AM
Dude

I am a big fan of trying to reduce the amount of vendors in the stack.

Also, I have read good things about the new King MFD.

For what its worth, I think the new King MFD may be the way to go.

However, I LOVE my 430.

Old January 25th 04, 02:18 PM
Mike Long

"carlos" wrote in message ...
I'm thinking of adding some avionics and would appreciate your
thoughts/knowledge on this matter.

My current avionics stack includes:

Apollo GX55 IFR GPS
2 KX155 radios
King audio panel, ADF and transponder
S-TEC 50 autopilot

I would like to add a color moving map to my stack as well as a stormscope.
Since I already have two very good radios, I think a Garmin 430 would be a
waste of money (even if I traded in one of the KX155s). A friend of mine
recommended I get a King MFD (150 or 250) which has GPS and moving map, but
no radio. They also interface with the stormscope and the combined cost
would be less than a 430.

I think the previous suggestion of the Garmin 400 was a good one and
the King KMD 250 would be a good choice as well. Both have excellent
resolution. I don't know if the 400 takes FIS and TIS cards (uplinked
Radar & Terminal Area Traffic) but the 250 will. If your future plans
include those, it might be an important question to ask (and ask about
the King also - I'm taking the word of my radio man). I know I would
want uplinked or downlinked radar on mine, even if I had to save to
buy it. King's KDR 510 has far better resolution IMO than the Garmin
GDL 49 but the upcoming GDL 69 coupled with XM radio is purported to
be a whole different product. I'm also quite sure ChartView or its
equivalent would be on my list of eventual desires. So, the GDL 69 and
ChartView would point me in the Garmin direction.

Also do pay some attention to how the information is converted to the
moving map if you decide to buy on price. An older 5" 55R Avidyne uses
as its background map a sectional that was clearly scanned and then
displays as the page you are navigating on. It's a nice enough unit
and of good size but the KMD 550, for example, blows it away for
resolution and enhanced capabilities.

That didn't help a bit, did it? g. Well, at least you know some
questions to ask.

Mike
Old January 25th 04, 05:30 PM
C J Campbell

"carlos" wrote in message
| Hi everyone and thanks to all who helped me out with my Garmin 196 v. 295
| question. It seems the 196 is ahead by a nose at the moment... (mainly due
| to its redraw speed).
|
| Anyway, I just got my plane (first flight was this morning!!! although it
| did greet me with a dead battery)... It's a 1977 Cessna 206G for all you
| curious bunch.
|
| I'm thinking of adding some avionics and would appreciate your
| thoughts/knowledge on this matter.
|
| My current avionics stack includes:
|
| Apollo GX55 IFR GPS
| 2 KX155 radios
| King audio panel, ADF and transponder
| S-TEC 50 autopilot
|
| I would like to add a color moving map to my stack as well as a
stormscope.
| Since I already have two very good radios, I think a Garmin 430 would be a
| waste of money (even if I traded in one of the KX155s). A friend of mine
| recommended I get a King MFD (150 or 250) which has GPS and moving map,
but
| no radio. They also interface with the stormscope and the combined cost
| would be less than a 430.

The King MFD also works better with your existing radios. Alternatively you
could get an Apollo MX20 MFD, which is a much nicer display than any of the
King or other Garmin products, and keep your existing GPS. I use the MX20 in
my own 206 and it is a very nice unit.

Old January 25th 04, 06:07 PM
carlos

Thanks. Since I'm not flying in the US, I don't really have a need for all
the new functions that you guys are finally getting this year. I will look
at the 400, but I'm leaning more towards keeping a King stack... (Or adding
an MX20, since I already have an Apollo GPS).

Best Regards,

CGP.

"Richard Kaplan" wrote in message
s.com...

Old January 25th 04, 06:08 PM
carlos

Thanks for the tip on reducing vendor-clutter in the stack. Which King MFD
are you referring to, the 250?

Regards,

CGP.

Old January 25th 04, 06:10 PM
carlos

Thanks Mike... I'll look closely at those functions you mention to see if I
have a need for them (I don't fly in the US - At least not regularly, though
I may make a trip to Sun & Fun).

Best Regards,

CGP.

"Mike Long" wrote in message
om...

Old January 25th 04, 06:12 PM
carlos

Thanks. How do you like your MX-20? I do think it's a bit more expensive
than the King. One reason I'm leaning towards the King is that these are the
units Cessna uses on their newer planes (well, at least until they start
using the Garmin 1000s), so maintenance/support should be easier.

Best Regards,

CGP.

Old January 26th 04, 12:27 AM
Dude

Since I have limited experience with the King products, I really have no
specific advice on which of their products to go with.

They seem to have a good reputation, and be getting good reviews on their
products, though.

I just try and avoid the inevitable integration problems - and finger
pointing that comes with them - of having products from different companies
trying to work together.

While many times there is no problem with the integration, there seems to be
less problems with single vendor solutions. Also, diagnosing and fixing
problems is easier with one vendor.