tophat (xcsoar) and LX7007 (pro igc)

Old January 22nd 21, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default tophat (xcsoar) and LX7007 (pro igc)

On 1/21/21 7:16 PM, Moshe Braner wrote:
On 1/21/2021 9:02 PM, Dan Marotta wrote:
On 1/21/21 1:43 PM, Moshe Braner wrote:
I see that Tophat (based on XCsoar) has "LXNAV" as one of the
available communication protocols (when defining the "device").Â* Does
that apply to both LXNAV and LX Navigation (separate companies?)

(Reminds me of the Monty Python movie where the splinter groups
"Judea Liberation Front" are enemies of the "Front for Liberation of
Judea", or such.)

If Tophat (or XCsoar) is connected to an LX7007 via a bi-directional
cable, can one define the task in Tophat and then send it to the
LX7007?Â* And can one use Tophat to extract the IGC file from the
LX7007 after landing?Â* I do both of those with Tophat connected to a
PowerFLARM.

You can extract the igc file directly from tophat, I think.Â* It's been
a long time...

Yes Tophat makes an IGC file too.Â* But it's not IGC-security-certified.
Â*So if you want a "green V" on OLC, or, more importantly, if you want
to claim a soaring badge or record, you need the flight log from your
IGC-certified flight recorder, e.g., LX7007, or FLARM, etc.Â* Tophat can
copy it from the FLARM (for example) that it is attached to, then the
file sits in the memory of the Android device alongside the file created
directly by Tophat.Â* After flying, I leave the FLARM in the glider, but
take the Nook home, with those IGC files in its memory.Â* (I can then
transfer them to a PC via SD card, USB cable, or wifi.Â* I normally do
the latter, no need to plug the Nook into anything at home - it gets
charged while flying!)

Can't you download directly from the Flarm?

Downloading from XCSoar was never an issue for me because I only use OLC
to add a few points to my club's statistics. Don't need no (more)
steenkin' badges...

--
Dan
5J
Old February 6th 21, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

On 1/21/2021 3:43 PM, Moshe Braner wrote:
I see that Tophat (based on XCsoar) has "LXNAV" as one of the available communication protocols (when defining the "device"). Does that apply to both LXNAV and LX Navigation (separate companies?)

(Reminds me of the Monty Python movie where the splinter groups "Judea Liberation Front" are enemies of the "Front for Liberation of Judea", or such.)

If Tophat (or XCsoar) is connected to an LX7007 via a bi-directional cable, can one define the task in Tophat and then send it to the LX7007? And can one use Tophat to extract the IGC file from the LX7007 after landing? I do both of those with Tophat connected to a PowerFLARM.

To answer my own question: I finally got the LX7007 connected to Tophat
on a Nook via a serial cable. The good news: LX7007 sends GPS data to
Tophat. The bad news: other functionality lacking, cannot send task
from Tophat to LX, cannot retrieve LX flight logs from inside Tophat.
This may improve in the future if a newer version of Tophat incorporates
newer versions of XCsoar, since XCsoar release notes for recent versions
specifically mention these issues.

Old February 6th 21, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matthew Scutter

On Sunday, February 7, 2021 at 8:38:42 AM UTC+10, Moshe Braner wrote:
[...]

TopHat hasn't had any development for 4 years now...

XCSoar / TopHat maps airspace etc. [email protected] Soaring 6 April 11th 18 12:43 AM
LX7007 Pro IGC David Cleveland Soaring 3 June 2nd 16 01:51 PM
LX7007 Pro IGC Charlie Papa[_2_] Soaring 4 June 1st 16 07:59 PM
PowerFLARM, LX7007 Pro IGC and a PDA ... how to ... 2NO Soaring 7 March 22nd 14 04:57 PM
Want to buy used LX7007 [email protected] Soaring 3 July 26th 13 08:27 PM