A proposal to increase membership, cross-country pilots, competitors,and world champions (USA).

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 21st 14, 10:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Martin[_3_]

Default A proposal to increase membership, cross-country pilots, competitors,and world champions (USA).

Why must every glider pilot be forced to become a cross country
soaring and racing pilot.

Many see this and say that is not for me I cannot afford that
ship, that time that commitment. YOU simply put then off.

Why not teach and sell the joys of soaring.

Once hooked THEN teach them to expand their horizons.

The more members you get the more will become the XC pilots
of the future, the stalwarts of the club, the instructors and the
backbone of the movement.

A few cheaper to fly club aircraft will give many the pleasure of
soaring flight. A winch launch cuts the cost further......!

As a percentage of national membership how many race and
how many do extended cross country flying yet this is pushed as
the ultimate goal of our sport.

Food for thought

At 03:28 21 August 2014, Bill D wrote:
On Wednesday, August 20, 2014 9:09:31 PM UTC-6, Craig R.

wrote:
There has been a lot of good dialog on developing cross

country pilots (=
=3D private ship owners) with perhaps a small percentage of

those becoming
=
competition pilots.=20
=20
However, when I look at the basics, the outlook is pretty

dismal. To me,
=
the bottom line is lack of personal income for the bulk of

Americans.=20
=20
It was stated earlier "Money is not the issue. People have

plenty of
cash=
to spend on recreation and discretionary activities".=20
=20
The facts are quite the opposite. "Americans tend to think of

their
middl=
e class as being the richest in the world, but it turns out, in

terms of
we=
alth, they rank fairly low among major industrialized

countries," said
Edwa=
rd Wolff, a New York University economics professor who

studies net
worth."=
=20
=20
Median net worth for middle class Americans is

approximately $45,000. We
=
rank 19th in the world. If you look at all Americans, the

number is
$301,00=
0 (4th). This number is highly skewed because of the very to

ultra rich
(Bi=
ll Gates types). Disposable income is dandy for the rich, but

not so
wonder=
ful for the middle class and below.=20
=20

http://money.cnn.com/2014/06/11/news/economy/middle-

class-wealth/?iid=3DE=
=20
In addition, soaring in the US is not directly funded by our

government.
=
As many know, some European countries have varying

degrees of government
su=
pport to reduce their pilot's cost.=20
=20
So if we can agree that most middle (and poorer) class

Americans won't /
=
can't spend the money necessary to join the ranks of cross

country /
racing=
glider pilots (this is an expensive sport!), we are left with the
potentia=
l pilot pool of wealthy Americans. That is a much smaller

number to work
wi=
th.=20
=20
So who are we marketing our sport to? The posts above

seem to target
midd=
le class (and above) younger adults. With financial and time

limitations
mo=
st young adults deal with, these factors =3D small numbers.

And as we have
=
seen, many new pilots toss in the towel pretty quickly to

pursue other
acti=
vities.=20
=20
So what do we do to expand our pilot pool? John Cochrane's

point of
limit=
ing the turnover of current pilots seems to me to be the best

method to
inc=
rease the number of glider pilots. We keep working the front

end as best
we=
can and pull out all the stops to reduce the shrink. Slow

growth is not
se=
xy, but workable.

If the proposal is to enlist 20% of the population, then class

economics
is=
an issue but we are at most .006% of the population. That's

way too tiny
=
a number to be talking about the general economy. If we

suddenly got
.0003=
% of the population interested in learning to fly gliders, it

would
overwhe=
lm our training capacity but it would turn the growth picture

around. =20

Remember, soaring began in the US during the Great

Depression. All we
need=
is a few thousand new people - and they are out there waiting

to be
found.=
I think the problem is entirely our own pessimism.