Airliner crashes into Hudson River after LGA departure

Old January 15th 09, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

Default Airliner crashes into Hudson River after LGA departure

Holy smokes! CNN is reporting an airliner went down in the Hudson
after departing LaGuardia. I heard something about birdstrikes, but
can't imagine a double engine failure due to that(?) They sure picked
a cold day to go swimming... Hope everybody is ok...
Old January 15th 09, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

On Jan 15, 4:01*pm, Kingfish wrote:
Holy smokes! CNN is reporting an airliner went down in the Hudson
after departing LaGuardia. I heard something about birdstrikes, but
can't imagine a double engine failure due to that(?) They sure picked
a cold day to go swimming... Hope everybody is ok...

CNN is reporting all 135 on board got off the plane (and didn't get
wet!) Apparently a flock of geese got in the way soon after takeoff,
and both engines sucked in birds. Damn the luck...
Old January 15th 09, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Shirl

Kingfish wrote:
CNN is reporting all 135 on board got off the plane (and didn't get
wet!) Apparently a flock of geese got in the way soon after takeoff,
and both engines sucked in birds. Damn the luck...

Depends how you choose to view it. I'd say their luck was pretty damn
good!
Old January 15th 09, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

"Shirl" wrote in message
Kingfish wrote:
CNN is reporting all 135 on board got off the plane (and didn't get
wet!) Apparently a flock of geese got in the way soon after takeoff,
and both engines sucked in birds. Damn the luck...

Depends how you choose to view it. I'd say their luck was pretty damn
good!

Unless you're a goose than this was an atrocity.

Old January 16th 09, 12:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jan 15, 4:45*pm, "Darkwing" theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com wrote:
"Shirl" wrote in message

Kingfish wrote:
CNN is reporting all 135 on board got off the plane (and didn't get
wet!) Apparently a flock of geese got in the way soon after takeoff,
and both engines sucked in birds. Damn the luck...

Depends how you choose to view it. I'd say their luck was pretty damn
good!

Unless you're a goose than this was an atrocity.

There were no geese harmed. There was no atrocity. It's all a
fabrication of the goose controlled government media, the mouthpiece
of the Tri-goose Commission.

Old January 17th 09, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

On Jan 15, 5:32*pm, Shirl wrote:
Kingfish wrote:
CNN is reporting all 135 on board got off the plane (and didn't get
wet!) Apparently a flock of geese got in the way soon after takeoff,
and both engines sucked in birds. Damn the luck...

Depends how you choose to view it. I'd say their luck was pretty damn
good!

Once, at general aviation speeds, we saw a flock of what seemed to be
canada geese at constant bearing out our windscreen. Sailers say
"Constant bearing means collision". We saw them with enough seconds in
hand to reduce our rate of climb and got under them.

If one is carefully looking out the window of a jet like this, would
it be likely a flock (as opposed to a single bird) might be seen in
time to modify the climb angle? I'm guessing after rotation the crew's
attention is more inside the cockpit than outside, especially in the
controlled airspace around major airports. It would be an interesting
simulation in include flocks of geese near airports, wouldn't it?

Old January 17th 09, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jeff none

1 of the passengers said something about seeing birds flying by before
the landing.

Old January 17th 09, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Monk

On Jan 17, 2:54*pm, (Jeff none) wrote:
1 of the passengers said something about seeing birds flying by before
the landing.

Although the pilot did an excellent job I wouldn't call it a
"landing", more like a ditching maybe?
Old January 19th 09, 07:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Clear

In article ,
a wrote:

Once, at general aviation speeds, we saw a flock of what seemed to be
canada geese at constant bearing out our windscreen. Sailers say
"Constant bearing means collision". We saw them with enough seconds in
hand to reduce our rate of climb and got under them.

Going under birds isn't advised, since when spooked, they often will
dive for the ground. Much safer to go over them, since their rate of
climb isn't that fast.

John
--
John Clear - http://www.clear-prop.org/

Old January 19th 09, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tech Support

John

Your 100% correct.

Saw a BIG bizzard here inTX just ahead of me and started to fly under
him with plenty of clearance. When he saw me close he folded his wings
and fell straight down and almost took my wing off when we colided.

Fly over not under.

Big John.

************************************************** *************************

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 07:02:33 +0000 (UTC),
(John Clear) wrote:

In article ,
a wrote:

Once, at general aviation speeds, we saw a flock of what seemed to be
canada geese at constant bearing out our windscreen. Sailers say
"Constant bearing means collision". We saw them with enough seconds in
hand to reduce our rate of climb and got under them.

Going under birds isn't advised, since when spooked, they often will
dive for the ground. Much safer to go over them, since their rate of
climb isn't that fast.

John

Plane down in Hudson River Judah Piloting 10 January 6th 06 04:15 PM
Peruvian airliner crashes in jungle Bushleague Piloting 4 August 24th 05 04:37 PM
Flying down the Hudson River SeeAndAvoid Piloting 19 March 24th 04 06:26 PM
Hudson river Paul Sengupta Piloting 2 January 9th 04 12:18 AM
Hitting airliner with rifle round? [was: PK of Igla vs. airliner] B2431 Military Aviation 7 August 20th 03 11:29 PM