Cowardice in Battle

Old July 4th 03, 06:04 PM
ArtKramr

Subject: Cowardice in Battle
From: "Gord Beaman" )
Date: 7/4/03 9:55 AM Pacific Daylight Time

You see?, two references to people not 'being there'. Hell's
bells, was the 344 th the only war fighting unit in the war?
--

-Gord.

It was the only unit I fought in. Your mileage may vary.

Arthur Kramer
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old July 4th 03, 06:15 PM
Dave Kearton

"S. Sampson" wrote in message
. ..

| My memories are of the first piece of ass I got in the back of my Chevy.
| I could barely keep up with her. There isn't a single day in 35 years
that I
| haven't thought about that Chevy. Those who have no memories weren't
| there.

Not forgetting those who put their hand up first ......

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old July 4th 03, 09:09 PM

"S. Sampson" wrote:

My memories are of the first piece of ass I got in the back of my Chevy.
I could barely keep up with her. There isn't a single day in 35 years that I
haven't thought about that Chevy. Those who have no memories weren't
there.

Chevy?!?....CHEVY!!!...it damned well wasn't a chevy...it was a
Studebaker 1/2 ton...cripes what's t'matter wi'your memory
guy?!?...that damned stick shift lever on the floor damned near
crippled me.
--

-Gord.
Old July 4th 03, 11:13 PM
QDurham

Chevy?!?....CHEVY!!!...it damned well wasn't a chevy...it was a
Studebaker 1/2 ton...cripes what's t'matter wi'your memory
guy?!?...that damned stick shift lever on the floor damned near
crippled me.

What the hell. SHE liked it.

Old July 4th 03, 11:19 PM
Ydusitmata

ArtKramr wrote:

"S. Sampson" wrote in message
Everybody has cute sayings. For example, there's one that goes more or
less that those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it, and those who
are intellectually uninquisitive are prime candidates to be exposed to
history's unhappy lessons over and over again. IOW, if you don't care,
it's at your own peril. You'll keep on getting your ass kicked until you
learn not to bend over when the kicker's around.

Memories force you to care. There isn't a single day day in 60 years that
I haven't thought about the war. Maybe for just an instant, a flash of
memory that keeps repeating. But the memories are always there And will
never go away. Those who have no memories weren't there.

Appears to me that someone totally there then, is not totally here now.

Extremely sad.

ronh
Old July 5th 03, 01:43 AM
Dave Holford

It has nothing to do with 'political correctness' or 'sensitivity'; it
is your apparent arrogance that you are superior to anyone who did not
do what YOU did.

Dave

Getting a little sensitive are we?

Arthur Kramer

Not in the slightest Art.
Just tired of your juvenile efforts to dismiss anyone who does not agree
with you.

I have nothing but admiration for those who flew into danger, but in my
(note MY) opinion those guys who flew low-slow unarmed C-47s across the
line of battle to deliver airborne troops behind enemy lines were every
bit as corageous as those who flew in formations of armed aircraft;
probably more so.

Ever since the civil war observation balloons, aircrew have risked their
lives in hazardous operations, and continue to do so today. However, one
must bear in mind that those who survive a mission of a few hours get to
eat a civilized meal and sleep in a safe bed. Something that many who
also fought for our freedom did not get to do for days, maybe even weeks
on end.

I don't doubt your bravery for a moment. But there are always brave
people when they are needed.

I have spent some time in the air and on the ground with survivors of
the war you write about. I was too young to join them before, but I
tried to gain some limited understanding of what they went through. The
squadron I served with lost many aircrew bombing Germany. The fact that
I got to talk and fly with a few survivors when the fighting was over
does not make me a hero, or a wanabee, or anything else you care to try
and characterize me as; except a guy who wanted to fly and was lucky
enough to get some guidance from people who had 'been there, done
that'.

Dave
Old July 5th 03, 02:41 AM
ArtKramr

From: Dave Holford
Date: 7/4/03 5:43 PM Pacific Daylight Time

[...]

Yes. And of course you recognise the importance of having been there and done
that.I wish more would.