Airliner crashes into Hudson River after LGA departure

Old January 17th 09, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

Default Airliner crashes into Hudson River after LGA departure

Oh really, and how do you figure that. Any idea what his altitude was when
**** started happening?

I believe the mode C showed him maxing out at about 3200 MSL at 3+ minutes
into the flight. That would seem to be right with a 200 knot max glide rate
sink of about 1000 fpm and a 6 to 7 minute take-off to landing time.

Jim

Old January 17th 09, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Monk

On Jan 17, 2:54*pm, (Jeff none) wrote:
1 of the passengers said something about seeing birds flying by before
the landing.

Although the pilot did an excellent job I wouldn't call it a
"landing", more like a ditching maybe?
Old January 17th 09, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

"RST Engineering" wrote in message

Oh really, and how do you figure that. Any idea what his altitude was
when **** started happening?

I believe the mode C showed him maxing out at about 3200 MSL at 3+ minutes
into the flight. That would seem to be right with a 200 knot max glide
rate sink of about 1000 fpm and a 6 to 7 minute take-off to landing time.

Jim

Probably a moot point now anyway, haven't they established he landed gear
up?

Old January 17th 09, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

They established that two days ago.

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."

Old January 17th 09, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky

On Jan 17, 2:17*pm, "Maxwell" #$$9#@%%%.^^^ wrote:

I wonder if the gear was still down from take off, and they didn't have
time
or power to lift it.

That statement is as idiodic as some things MX says...oh, wait, you
have an "MX" in your sig, too. Go figure, two of the worst trolls have
"MX" in their names.

Oh really, and how do you figure that.

From the photo of the plane as it approached the river and the fact
that he was above 3,000 ft, when the birdstrike occured. I know your
aviation knowlege is practically nil, but an airline usually retracts
their gear by then, just so you know.

Any idea what his altitude was when sh** started happening?

About 3,400 ft, according to http://www4.passur.com/lga.html.

Any more stupid questions, MX?

Ricky

Old January 17th 09, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Tech Support wrote:
He looked at Teterboro, glanced at the altimeter, figured
the angles and did the math. He decided in that nano second that he
couldn't make Teterboro, and THAT decision made his entire salary for
a lifetime career.

Coming up short @ TEB would have been Ug-ly!
Old January 18th 09, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.disasters.aviation,rec.arts.poems,demon.local
ah

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
"Maxwell" #$$9#@%%%.^^^ wrote in news:%Focl.29929$H12.18354
@newsfe12.iad:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
John wrote in

@u18g2000pro.googlegroups.com:

On Jan 15, 3:12 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Kingfish writes:
Holy smokes! CNN is reporting an airliner went down in the Hudson
after departing LaGuardia. I heard something about birdstrikes,

but
can't imagine a double engine failure due to that(?) They sure
picked a cold day to go swimming... Hope everybody is ok...

Bird strikes are a leading cause of engine failure. Jet engines
don't
often
fail all on their own.

Well, according to
http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...y_channel.jsp?
channel=busav&
id=news/eng08036.xml

By the way, the study's authors noted that compressor stalls/surges
account for two-thirds of the engine malfunctions in today's
turbofans. This is a change from earlier generation turbine designs

in
which uncontained failures were the principal malfunction. Since
stall/ surge is the primary engine malfunction, one would assume

that
it would be a regular item during initial, recurrent or simulator
training. And yet, I cannot recall ever reviewing the matter or

being
exposed to a compressor stall/surge during a simulator session.

I have, but only a couple of times and just to run through the
drill.Most checklists just have you retarding the throttle and/or
shutting down anyhow.
Most times nowadays with high bypass fans it trashes the engine

straight
away, unlike the old JT8s and such which would fart away happily

enough
until you pulled the thrust lever back.

Bertie

Sounds like you, retarded and farting away.

Awww, maxie make a witty!

ROLF!
--
ah
Old January 18th 09, 03:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.disasters.aviation,rec.arts.poems,demon.local
Bertie the Bunyip[_28_]

ah wrote in news:49728b5c$0$57670
:

Kingfish writes:
[...]

Tie me kangaroo down, sport.

Bertie
Old January 18th 09, 12:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.disasters.aviation,rec.arts.poems,demon.local
ah

Kingfish writes:
[...]

What-ho, Squiffy?
--
ah
Old January 18th 09, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"RST Engineering" wrote in
m:

One of the things that helped him make that decision was that he had
hundreds, if not thousands of "dead stick landings" as a flight
instructor, glider.

Jim
CFIG

Well, I wouldn't say there was much of a decision to be made, myself. no
thrust and all that. Glider instructor woudl have helped him control the
airplane OK.
Was chattin with an A320 driver last night and he told me the airplane's
flight controls would have gone into a a law that the crew weren't used to
as a result of the power loss ( unless they hade the APU running which is
not likely) making the handling less than intuitive for him.
Bertie

Plane down in Hudson River Judah Piloting 10 January 6th 06 04:15 PM
Peruvian airliner crashes in jungle Bushleague Piloting 4 August 24th 05 04:37 PM
Flying down the Hudson River SeeAndAvoid Piloting 19 March 24th 04 06:26 PM
Hudson river Paul Sengupta Piloting 2 January 9th 04 12:18 AM
Hitting airliner with rifle round? [was: PK of Igla vs. airliner] B2431 Military Aviation 7 August 20th 03 11:29 PM