Blue angles and Thunderbirds

Old April 16th 06, 06:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Default Blue angles and Thunderbirds

With the new aircraft coming online soon like the x35 and the F22. When
would the Blue angles and Thunderbirds get the new planes if ever?

-JC

Old April 16th 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

What's a Blue angle?
Maybe a sad obtuse?

Old April 16th 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

For the F-35, the initial operational capability (IOC) is set for 2010
for the USMC, USAF IOC is set for 2011 and Navy IOC is set for 2012, so
it may be quite a while before the Blue Angels transition to the F-35.

The USAF may never transition the Thunderbirds to the F-22, just as the
T-birds never transitioned to the F-15. The F-22 will be, like the
F-15 was, bigger, more expensive, and available in fewer number.

Perhaps what we will end up seeing is the Birds flying the F-35A and
the Blues flying the F-35C, similar to when the USAF flew the F-4E and
the Navy flew the F-4J for demonstrations.

Just a guess . . .

Blue skies to you all

John

Old April 16th 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Default Blue Angels and Thunderbirds

John wrote:
For the F-35, the initial operational capability (IOC) is set for 2010
for the USMC, USAF IOC is set for 2011 and Navy IOC is set for 2012, so
it may be quite a while before the Blue Angels transition to the F-35.

....which brings up an interesting *angle*...for you fellows who have
been blessed with stick time in several high-performance Naval aircraft,
what do you think would be an ideal Blue Angel plane -- of any age -- if
you took away the politics, that is, the need to showcase the "latest
and greatest?"

I'd vote for whatever was most maneuvable with the ability to accelerate
straight up, although I really don't have a candidate in mind.

--
John Miller
Seven years in P'cola in the '60s and '70s
Old April 16th 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

As a small child (as opposed to the big child my wiser friends consider
me to be now), I saw the Blues flying the F-11-F Tiger, and later
several times in the A-4 Skyhawk. I missed the F-4J period completely
.. . . but I am told that the show was awesome, especially from the
noise point of view. I did see the Birds in the F-4E's as a teen and
thought they were awesome.

Of all the possible choices, I think an F-8 Crusader team would be a
great mix of maneuverability and noise. I wonder how they would
compare to the current F/A-18's?

Blue skies to all . . .

John

Old April 17th 06, 01:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

"John" wrote in message
ups.com...
As a small child (as opposed to the big child my wiser friends consider
me to be now), I saw the Blues flying the F-11-F Tiger, and later
several times in the A-4 Skyhawk. I missed the F-4J period completely
. . . but I am told that the show was awesome, especially from the
noise point of view. I did see the Birds in the F-4E's as a teen and
thought they were awesome.

Of all the possible choices, I think an F-8 Crusader team would be a
great mix of maneuverability and noise. I wonder how they would
compare to the current F/A-18's?

Not very good. Wing transition for the diamond T/O would have been
interesting. The show would have been big (real estate wise), almost as big
as the Phantom. The dirty inverted would have been challenging. Dirty
roll on T/O as well. As a form airplane the F-8 was good, not great
(roughly comparable to the Phantom). Of course, smokin' along with the oil
cooler door open woulda made the best kind of music.

The F-11 was the sweetest jet strictly from the form standpoint. Like a
rock on the wing (this from several friends who flew them ... not personal
experience). The A-4 was a great show bird. Tight show. Nice flying
airplane, good T/W.

The F-18 has good T/W, and of course that high alpha capability (watch the
solos AFTER the pass when they're setting up for the next maneuver). Looks
like hard work in the diamond. I've only seen the F-18 show a couple times,
but the Blues have never looked sharp on those occasions. Early in the
season? One of those days? Not that good a form bird? Don't know.

R / John

Old April 17th 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

The A-4 will always be my sweetheart when it comes to the Blues.

Man, could you imagine a combined flyby with both teams in F-35s? That
would be amazing.

Old April 17th 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 11:37:43 GMT, "niceguy"
wrote:

F8F

A fellow I worked with at Northrop named Chuck Knight flew with the
original Blues in the Bearcat. Later went to Pax River for Test Pilot
school and did a lot of the early work with the A-5. Retired as O-6
from the Navy and then put in about 15 years with Northrop working on
YF-17 and then ATF (YF-23.)

Chuck passed away about three months ago in Dallas. Real good guy!

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org