Accidents happen...

Old November 22nd 04, 08:27 AM
Manuel

Default Accidents happen...

Unfortunately accidents do happen, but it was the first time I had
somewhat to do with it. The airplane I usually fly with, a Piper Arrow
from the local flight school and FBO, crashed on landing during a
cross-country flight to Florence (Italy). The plane suddenly banked to
the left 10 feet over the runway, then struck the airport fence.

On board there were 3 pilots, all of them very experienced. 2 were badly
hurt and are still in hospital, but will eventually make it. The third
person on board "only" suffered a few fractures and already went home.

The airplane is wrecked, but fortunately nobody got killed. The cause
was either a windshear or sudden pilot incapacitation, but it's too
early to tell.

This event really struck me, you never think this can happen to you, or
at your FBO.

Sorry if that's not really a constructive post, I just had to tell
someone...

-Manuel
PPL(A) SEP

Old November 22nd 04, 11:27 AM
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:27:29 +0100, Manuel
wrote in ::

The cause
was either a windshear or sudden pilot incapacitation, but it's too
early to tell.

Is there a possibility that the cause may have been wake turbulence?

Old November 22nd 04, 12:50 PM
Jay Honeck

Unfortunately accidents do happen, but it was the first time I had
somewhat to do with it. The airplane I usually fly with, a Piper Arrow
from the local flight school and FBO, crashed on landing during a
cross-country flight to Florence (Italy). The plane suddenly banked to the
left 10 feet over the runway, then struck the airport fence.

Just curious: Was he trying to do a "go around"?

There was an accident this week (somewhere in the States -- I can't remember
where) with a similar situation in a Piper Arrow.

The pilot had his in-laws and child on board, and was trying to land in a 25
knot gusty crosswind. It went very badly, he lost control trying to do a go
around, and they were all killed.

Aviation isn't all that difficult, but it is extremely unforgiving of poor
judgment or inattention.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 22nd 04, 05:01 PM
zatatime

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 12:50:30 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

Aviation isn't all that difficult, but it is extremely unforgiving of poor
judgment or inattention.

This is a good quote. Can I use it if I give you credit?

Old November 22nd 04, 06:15 PM
Bob Fry

wrote:

Aviation isn't all that difficult, but it is extremely unforgiving of poor
judgment or inattention.

This is a good quote. Can I use it if I give you credit?

"Flying is not inherently dangerous, but to an even greater extent
than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity,
or neglect" - anon, quotation familiar to all aviators.
Old November 22nd 04, 07:20 PM
Friedrich Ostertag

Hi Bob,

"Flying is not inherently dangerous, but to an even greater extent
than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity,
or neglect" - anon, quotation familiar to all aviators.

To which another anon has answered:

"Flying IS inherently dangerous. Only a well trained crew and a well
maintained aircraft can keep the risk at an acceptable level."

I like this. Applies to other things, too.

regards,
Friedrich

--
for personal email please remove "entfernen" from my adress

Old November 23rd 04, 12:46 AM
Thomas Lembessis

Jay, that's exactly what happened to the fellow who bought a Cherokee 180
that I almost bought. He botched a go around and ended up crashing into a
semi trailer in Michigan. He had a 90 degree, 35 knot crosswind. Upon
examining the wreckage, the NTSB found 40 deg. flaps selected.

Old November 23rd 04, 02:02 AM
BTIZ

and what is the published max demonstrated crosswind ??
less than 20knts in my guess..

but I agree.. 40 degree flaps in a cross wind is not a good idea..
even less so for a Cessna

BT

Old November 23rd 04, 02:43 AM
Gerald Sylvester

BTIZ wrote:

and what is the published max demonstrated crosswind ??
less than 20knts in my guess..

17 or 18 knots. In 10 knot X-wind which is not uncommon
at my airport, using full flaps makes landing "interesting."

Gerald

Old November 23rd 04, 03:30 AM
C Kingsbury

"BTIZ" wrote in message
and what is the published max demonstrated crosswind ??
less than 20knts in my guess..

I've landed my 172 in 30 knot crosswinds, as in 25g40 knot winds
perpendicular to the runway. Sure as hell not with more than one notch down,
though. Fun ride it was.

The number in the book is for a plane at gross weight with the engine at
idle. It's the number at which the rudder runs out of effectiveness to keep
the nose aligned with the runway. So you blow it over with the prop. Of
course if it's a short field and you're near gross, then you're going to be
a lot closer to what the book says. But a 15-kt crosswind is nothing for a
lightly-loaded plane as long as the pilot knows what he's doing.

-cwk.