GLIDING INTERNATIONAL - JANUARY 2009 ISSUE

Old December 15th 08, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john

Default GLIDING INTERNATIONAL - JANUARY 2009 ISSUE

Hi All,

The January issue of Gliding International is to be mailed before Christmas.

It features -

€ Detailed report on the Akafliegs conference and the new innovations
coming up in Germany

€ An interview with Tilo Holighaus (Schempp-Hirth) on how his company is
coping with the current depressed economies.

€ Details on Schempp-HirthΉs new two seater, the Arcus.

€ Top American competition pilot reports on three plus weeks of flying the
JS-1

€ Antares flying with a Fuel cell installation.

€ Review of the new launching set up at the Dutch national gliding school

€ 105 sailplanes attended the 36th international rally at Wels, Austria -
Full report

€ The developing European GPS satellite constellation takes another major
step forward

€ The home built (from a kit) motorglider, the Xones * Cheapest yet!

And a lot more.

JOHN ROAKE
EDITOR

Old December 15th 08, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Dec 14, 8:20*pm, john wrote:

€ *An interview with Tilo Holighaus (Schempp-Hirth) on how
his company is coping with the current depressed economies.

€ Details on *Schempp-HirthΉs new two seater, the *Arcus...

Heh, John, I like how the Google Groups interface renders your bullet
symbols as Euros (€).

Thanks, Bob K.
www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24
Old December 18th 08, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

On Dec 14, 8:20*pm, john wrote:
[...]

XONES? or is that a mis-typed "Xenos"
Old December 18th 08, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Dec 18, 7:44*am, Uncle Fuzzy wrote:

XONES? or is that a mis-typed "Xenos"

The latter, I believe. We saw one at Tehachapi.

Are you thinking of coming up for the next Alaflieg? Probably sometime
before Valentines. We have all four full-carbon wing skins for 24-01
done and we'll be trying to close wings around then.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old December 18th 08, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

.. We have all four full-carbon wing skins for 24-01
done and we'll be trying to close wings around then.

Be sure and use enough goo. I'm looking at a section sawed from an
ASW-22 wing, that met with misfortune. Schleicher used styrafoam dams
on both sides of the upper spar cap + one in the nose and one more
just forward of the drag spar. The height of the dams was set to
insuer complete coverage + about 10% which is forced into the edge of
the dams. The cabicil is troweled in to be level with the top of the
dam. No excess oozing out and running down the spar shear web to get
into push-rods and things. Slick and no worrying about, "did I use
enough goo"?
JJ

Old December 18th 08, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Yes, JJ, we're figuring on using EPS squeeze-out dams in a couple of
key areas. In addition to the wrecks I picked over at your place, I've
also reviewed wing sections such as the one you have at hand, and Brad
has cut apart ASW-20 tail surfaces to see what's inside.

I usually make bonding paste filler out of 1/4 or less cabocil, and
3/4 or more flox. Cabocil makes a nice thixotropic (non-runny) bonding
paste, and that's good for preventing the paste from running out
wicking away, but I think it tends to make for a weaker joint than
flox.

The exception is for captured placements where I'm potting a pin or
bushing into a bore or other feature, and all I need the cabocil for
is bearing strength. Then I'll go as strong as 50/50 cabocil and flox.

You oughta drive up for the next Akaflieg and see the craziness. I
think you'd be amused.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old December 19th 08, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

Hey, I'm impressed! When is your next Akafieg?
As you know getting enough goo in the right places has been a problem
ever since we started making plastic sailplanes. Early PIK's used too
much and too dry, so the wing section ended up too thick. Then they
corrected that by not using enough and we had an AD saying to drill
holes every 24" right above the spar and pump in more goo! The inside
of a most G-103 wings is a godawful mess with goo slithering down the
spar leaving a void up where the goo is supposed to be! We all know
about the recent problems with the Discus's over this same issue.
I think I'd do a test run with globs of goo on aluminum foil every 24"
then cover your gobs of goo with another hunk of aluminum foil and
slam the sucker together. Let it cure and wou will know exactly how
high to make the dam at all locations. Worth a little extra work to
insure everything is right in there where you can't inspect the final
product.
Cheers,
JJ
Old December 19th 08, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Dec 19, 6:11*am, JJ Sinclair wrote:
Hey, I'm impressed! When is your next Akafieg?
As you know getting enough goo in the right places
has been a problem ever since we started making
plastic sailplanes...

Akaflieg Douglas Flat (ADF) VIII will probably be sometime between mid-
January and mid-February. I'll post an announcement in this forum when
we know for sure.

Absolutely we are concerned about bondline gap and matching that to
shmoo volume and viscocity. We'll be doing tests such as you suggest,
and I'll also be doing a couple of tuning closures to get the correct
depth of the main spar and drag spar. Our spider tooling is capable of
setting that stuff to pretty close tolerances once we calibrate it as
you suggest.

Thanks again, Bob K.
Old December 29th 08, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Dec 19, 6:11*am, JJ Sinclair wrote:
...I think I'd do a test run with globs of goo on aluminum foil every 24"
then cover your gobs of goo with another hunk of aluminum foil and
slam the sucker together. Let it cure and wou will know exactly how
high to make the dam at all locations...

This latest Update shows how we're calibrating the spiders that
support the wing internals for a consistent and predictable bondine
thickness for the main spar, drag spar, and airbrake box:

http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp%2D24/update_29_dec_08.htm

We'll also probably do a check as JJ suggests before the actual final
closure.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old December 30th 08, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp%2D24/update_29_dec_08.htm

I love a good story problem:

here is the scenario.................

140 pound person wearing boots.................there will be a boot co-
efficient takes in to account whether the sole is soft, hard, and are
there any small stones or metal bits stuck to them.

A cored laminate consisting of: mold-6oz carbon-1/4" thick Divinycell
H-60-6oz carbon.

Now place that person wearing boots on top of that composite laminate,
and have him walk up and down the length of the skin, alternating
between standing/walking and squatting down.

The winner is the one who calculates how many dents are in that foam
core, if any!

The prize?

a rejected lower wing skin that cost a lot of time and money to make.

Brad

GLIDING INTERNATIONAL - (The magazine) john Soaring 0 September 7th 08 05:24 AM
Gliding International john Soaring 0 May 4th 08 12:29 AM
Southern California Soaring -- November/December/January issue isonline Editor@SoCalSoaring Soaring 0 November 8th 06 07:14 AM
January Issue of Soaring [email protected] Soaring 2 January 10th 05 06:02 PM
January/February 2004 issue of Southern California Soaring is on-line [email protected] Soaring 8 January 4th 04 09:37 PM