Rep vs. Dem Differences

Old September 2nd 04, 12:41 AM
Icebound

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...

Bot those on the right haven't swerved to the far right. Today's
"conservatives" are to the left of the "liberals" that founded the USA.

Pardon me if I find it a little bizarre that we would compare the societal
values of 21st century civilization, with the societal values of 1776.

--
*** A great civilization is not conquered from without until it
has destroyed itself from within. ***

Old September 2nd 04, 02:11 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Icebound" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...

Pardon me if I find it a little bizarre that we would compare the societal
values of 21st century civilization, with the societal values of 1776.

Specifics?

Old September 2nd 04, 03:22 AM
Icebound

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Icebound" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...

Pardon me if I find it a little bizarre that we would compare the

societal
values of 21st century civilization, with the societal values of 1776.

Specifics?

Specifically, your previous post.... you are comparing today's
"conservatives" as less conservative than 1776 "liberals". By what measure
can we compare two groups separated by almost 230 years of societal
differences, and with little in common in terms of the types of
opportunities, hazards, friends, enemies, etc...

Old September 2nd 04, 04:26 AM
Icebound

"C J Campbell" wrote in message
...snip...
What is "liberal" about a Europe or Canada that is grossly intolerant of
differing political or social views? ...snip...

Where do you get this?

The people of Canada have managed to tolerate six or seven different shades
as Federal and/or Provincial governments, from the far right to moderate
left. If and when the incumbents got too cocky or corrupt, Canadians simply
switched horses, turfed them out, and tolerated some other shade. Europe
has several governments with diverse coalitions that change more often than
some people change their underwear. Pretty hard to see how you can argue
them as "intolerant".

Canada has managed to tolerate most American Governments as friends... from
Lincoln to Clinton, even the senior Bush.

GW is a special case... even there, they tolerated his politics up to and
including the rout of the Taliban in Afghanistan... they were there, you
might recall.... they even tolerated 4 deaths and several casualties at the
hand of their "friends".

So over 150 years, Canada has disagreed with a single dubious policy of a
single American president... and they are not alone.... and this makes
Canada "grossly intolerant"?

Old September 2nd 04, 04:29 AM
G.R. Patterson III

C J Campbell wrote:

I would say that the remarks of many here would support my thesis that they
believe that religion should be suppressed from public view entirely.

Well, don't take mine that way. I simply do not wish to see anything remotely
resembling the English "penal laws" of the late 17th century or the similar laws the
Puritans set up in their area of the world. It was primarily in reaction to those
that we wound up with freedom of and from religion in our Constitution.

George Patterson
If you want to know God's opinion of money, just look at the people
he gives it to.
Old September 2nd 04, 12:49 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Icebound" wrote in message
.cable.rogers.com...

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Icebound" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...

Pardon me if I find it a little bizarre that we would compare the

societal
values of 21st century civilization, with the societal values of 1776.

Specifics?

Specifically, your previous post.... you are comparing today's
"conservatives" as less conservative than 1776 "liberals". By what
measure
can we compare two groups separated by almost 230 years of societal
differences, and with little in common in terms of the types of
opportunities, hazards, friends, enemies, etc...

Freedom.

Old September 2nd 04, 05:00 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Wdtabor" wrote in message
The only wild cards are the theocrats, who are collectivists who submit to
their invisible friend instead of the majority. They are currently allied

with
the Republicans, but for 100 years before SCOTUS ****ed them off were

allied
with the Democrats.

This is something about US life and US politics which confuses me.
Christians. From reading the bible, Christian values should be for equality
and for sharing, and that the accumulation of wealth is wrong. These are the
moral values which relate to money. There are also the moral values which
relate to, in a word, sex.

The US parties have, from what I understand from the arguments on here
and what I see in the media, polarised into two camps, Republicans and
Democrats. Maybe some of the ideas here are from their opponents, but
I see:

Republicans - conservative. Economics - want the creation of wealth among
a small number of people and hope that will make the whole country wealthy.
Morality - High moral values in terms of family, anti-this and that.

Democrats - less conservative. Economics - feel that wealth should be more
evenly distributed by making laws or by taxation.
Morality - More of a live and let live idea and allow such acts as sex
before
marriage, homosexuality and so on.

So. How have these moral codes become to be associated with these
parties and why do more Christians, or so called Christians support the
former? For them, it seems the moral code overrides the economic
issues? As mentioned in another post, should there be another two
parties which have the opposite economic and moral combinations?

Paul

Old September 2nd 04, 07:25 PM
john smith

And what was East Germany's actual name?

Deutsche Demokratische Republik... or German Democratic Republic.

So it was a democracy?

Yes and everyone had a vote. The limiting factor was the candidates.

Kinda like the US of A.
Who REALLY picks the candidates?
A couple guys in a back room somewhere.
Money, advertising, and handlers prop up a stooge that will allow them
to carry on, business as usual.

Old September 2nd 04, 07:26 PM
john smith

And Larry thought I was off topic with my helicopter post!

Old September 2nd 04, 10:21 PM
Bob Noel

In article , "Paul
Sengupta" wrote:

Republicans - conservative. Economics - want the creation of wealth among
a small number of people and hope that will make the whole country
wealthy.
Morality - High moral values in terms of family, anti-this and that.

wow! you don't understand Republicans.

Democrats - less conservative. Economics - feel that wealth should be
more
evenly distributed by making laws or by taxation.
Morality - More of a live and let live idea and allow such acts as sex
before
marriage, homosexuality and so on.

and you don't understand Democrats either.

--
Bob Noel
Seen on Kerry's campaign airplane: "the real deal"