License To Taxi?

Old October 9th 05, 11:09 PM
SteveT

Default License To Taxi?

Hello All,
Perhaps someone hereabouts can settle a discussion I had with a fellow
passenger on an airliner the other day: Suppose there's a 747 parked
at a gate and they need to taxi it over to a maintenance area. Does it
require a licensed pilot to taxi a plane that large (or any plane, for
that matter) on the ground? We are stipulating that the plane is not
going to take off -- merely drive from one part of the airport to
another. Also, if pilots do NOT usually perform this task, then who
usually does?
Thanks for any info to settle this!

Old October 9th 05, 11:26 PM
Lakeview Bill

From what I have read, some of the mechanics have a sign-off that permits
them to taxi aircraft...

oups.com...

Old October 9th 05, 11:32 PM
Dave S

Airline mechanics may need such endorsement from their employer from a
liability and operations standpoint... ordinary A&P's operating GA
planes on the ground don't have any such restrictions or endorsements to
contend with (again, unless their employer requires it)

Dave

Lakeview Bill wrote:
From what I have read, some of the mechanics have a sign-off that permits
them to taxi aircraft...

Old October 9th 05, 11:38 PM
Michelle P

As one who trained mechanics to taxi jets.......
No license required but a "run card" is required. Classroom, Simulator
and practical. Basically an authorization from the company to perform
the operation specified.
Michelle

Old October 9th 05, 11:56 PM
Marty

"SteveT" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello All,
Perhaps someone hereabouts can settle a discussion I had with a fellow
passenger on an airliner the other day: Suppose there's a 747 parked
at a gate and they need to taxi it over to a maintenance area. Does it
require a licensed pilot to taxi a plane that large (or any plane, for
that matter) on the ground? We are stipulating that the plane is not
going to take off -- merely drive from one part of the airport to
another. Also, if pilots do NOT usually perform this task, then who
usually does?
Thanks for any info to settle this!

No "license" needed to taxi, but when I worked at a small airport, we never
started a plane to move it. We used a tug or towbar.

Many GA airports use tugs to move the small ones around or simply use a tow
bar.As a service,
employees of the airport/FBO regularly retrive aircraft from hangers for
pilots. They will often refuel and park the aircraft for the pilots upon
their return.

My guess with airliners it comes down to economics. Just can't see any
reason to spool up an airliner just to taxi when there is plenty of tugs and
wing walkers around.

Starting engines just to taxi an aircraft seems like opening a liability
can-o-worms.

Old October 10th 05, 03:05 AM
NW_PILOT

"Marty" wrote in message

"SteveT" wrote in message
[...]

I have never seen them start up and taxi around seen a few at KPDX moved
from place to place with a TUG

Steven Rhine
CP-ASEL-IA

Old October 10th 05, 03:27 AM
Newps

NW_PILOT wrote:

I have never seen them start up and taxi around seen a few at KPDX moved
from place to place with a TUG

Depends on the layout of the airport. An airline based here at BIL has
the mechanics start one engine of their Beech 1900's to taxi from the
gate to the hangar. We would never let them do that amount of
repositioning on a taxiway with a tug.

Old October 10th 05, 04:25 AM
Robert M. Gary

Insurance sets the requirements. The FAA doesn't care.

Old October 10th 05, 05:01 AM
Bret Ludwig

Robert M. Gary wrote:
Insurance sets the requirements. The FAA doesn't care.

The FAA only gets involved if there is "intent to fly". If you have a
license and you have a wreck on the ramp or a taxiway, you can have a
license action if they can show you were intending to fly. At
uncontrolled fields therefore you order everyone out and claim it was
not your intent to fly...

When I was a ramp worker I had the opportunity to get a run card or
"start and taxi authorization" as we called it. I turned it down. I did
not have an A&P (either one) at that time. I have the P but not the A
now. Useless of course. People with less airframe experience than I
have, have bull****ted their way into authorization to take the test,
and I would just for the hell of it, but....why bother? One local FBO
has a kid with his A&P, FCC GROL, Amateur Extra, and a Class A CDL
(fuel truck!-but that only requires Class B...) working for $10.00. On
the line. He's thrilled to be around, you know, actual, real airplanes.
He's working on his private licese-through a club at a different
airport. The employee discount is $5 an hour there and he can rent a
Skyhawk for nearly $20 an hour cheaper elsewhere.

Old October 10th 05, 05:08 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article . com,
"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

Insurance sets the requirements. The FAA doesn't care.

A lot of turbines have start/stop cycle limits, so short runs are
discouraged. Mostly, they would use a tug.