Three Hour OLC

Old December 30th 08, 01:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Three Hour OLC

OLC has done a great job of making weekend cross country flying
interesting. Being a senior citizen with a somewhat competitive
nature, I am discouraged by the necessity to fly a lot of really long
(5-7 hour) flights in order to place well in the OLC standings. Most
of the time, after flying about 4 hours, more flying is somewhat like
making love to a skunk.

I have been wondering if other pilots would be interested in a OLC
catagory for FAI flights that could be completed within a time of 3 to
3.5 hours. The best flight would be the fastest speed achieved around
a FAI triangle with a flight time of three hours or more.

While the OLC league does score on speed over a limited time, doing
well in the OLC league requires a group effort.

Comments please.

Bill Snead
6W
Old December 30th 08, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

This approach is taken by three clubs around Ottawa Canada.
Every Saturday the "gate" opens at one and is open for three hours.
You could be on your course if wish, when the gate opens and the same
after the third hour. The records are compiled by one person through
the OLC. I have flown as a guest on occasions and for me it is the
most enjoyable way to fly in an Club environment. Check it out at:
http://soaringcanada.riq.ca/viewforu...afe025c a4fe3

Old December 30th 08, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

One way to have a contest like this is to form a club called "Three
Hours", have all interested pilots join it, and check out the daily
results for the club.
The results would be handicapped and listed in order of top score for
the day, but unfortunately cumulative scores are another story.
Verification of start and finish within three hours, and ridicule of
the cheaters are other chores. I suppose a designated scorer could
download all the flights and cast the proper spells.
However, OLC recently added a club league for the Southern
Hemisphere. With the proper persuasion, they may set up what you're
after.
Regarding persuasion, there seems to be no way to donate to OLC (from
USA) on the website this year.
Bill has brought up a good point. OLC is the best thing for x-c
soaring since P-tubes were invented. This would be a way to include
pilots uncomfortable flying 6+ hours a day, just as handicapping
includes those with less than the latest equipment.
This brings to mind a sticker that was on Bob Fitch's van:
Old age and treachery shall beat youth and skill.
Jim
Old December 31st 08, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Dec 30, 10:55*am, JS wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the replys. It looks like the Canada three hour contest is
very close to what I have in mind. If a large group would ask for
such a catagory maybe we could get it included in the OLC score sheet.

Bill
6W
Old December 31st 08, 04:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Dec 30, 5:28*pm, " wrote:
On Dec 30, 10:55*am, JS wrote:

[...]

Cool idea. Are there any height maximum/minimum limits for start/
finish or do you just try to get as high as you can by 1pm and as low
as you dare at 4pm?

Puts a whole new spin on 'start anywhere'.

9B

Old December 31st 08, 04:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold[_2_]

[...]

For every flight that is posted, OLC is already calculating speed during
the fastest 2.5 hours of the flight (finish must be at least as high as
the start). You just need OLC to add a listing of those speeds.
Old December 31st 08, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
S6

On Dec 30, 11:52*pm, Greg Arnold wrote:
[...]

the start). *You just need OLC to add a listing of those speeds.- Hide quoted text -

Hi,
This frendly comp is run twice a month from may to september betwen 3
club about 50 miles apart.
The date are published early in the season
Because of weather if 2 club get to fly, the comp is on, it usualy
even out at the end of season. To encourage pilot flying
club glider whichone pilot cant get 10 time a season, we count the 5
best flight of the season toward final scoring
From one to four oclock start anywere . No max or min altitude, we are
in the north east so it is not necessary.
OLC serve as a scoring method only. I guess we have done this for
about 8 years now.
Usualy pilot look forward to it, You take it as serious or not as you
want.
Have a great season in 2009
S6

Old December 31st 08, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

As an alternative, or in addition to posting flights on OLC, you might
consider setting up a "local contest." We do this in Northern
Illinois. Though many of our pilots also post to OLC, we still find
that the "local contest" structure provides a more satisfying overall
structure.

It's a bit disappointing to fly your heart out to do 150 miles in 1
knot thermals at 2500 feet -- a common occurrence around here -- and
then see that some guy who lives where there is decent weather did
1,000 miles that day. (Ok, move I hear you say!). It's more
challgenging, and much better preparation for real contests, to do a
real start, a real finish, and go to real turnpoints. Also, being able
to take more turnpoints allows us to a lot of cross country in
hopeless conditions, but stay close to home so retrieves aren't so
bad.

I wrote a "contest corner" a while back describing these efforts:

http://faculty.chicagogsb.edu/john.c...l_contests.mht

There are many such contests around, and you can choose from their
ideas without reinventing the wheel. The Northern Illinois contest is
here

http://faculty.chicagogsb.edu/john.c...h/Papers/#nisc

The central indiana club has a variant of the same idea

http://www.centralindianasoaringsociety.org/

A slightly different effort in New Jersey

http://home.netcom.com/~pappa3/

The Arizona Soaring association race series

http://www.asa-soaring.org/

The GTA (Georgia -Tennessee - Alabama) race series, with undoubtedly
the most colorful webpage

http://home.att.net/~g.t.a.race/

John Cochrane BB
Old December 31st 08, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Dec 30, 11:28*pm, wrote:
On Dec 30, 5:28*pm, " wrote:

On Dec 30, 10:55*am, JS wrote:

[...]

There are no maximum or minimum start and finish heights. As you say,
it's basically start as high as possible and finish as low as you
dare. Scores are for kms flown during the 3 hour period, either
between 1:00pm and 4:00pm or for any three hour period if a start is
made within 1km of the home airport after 1:00 pm. If there is no
start within 1km, the 3 hour period starts on release.

The whole idea is to permit "head to head" competition while still
flying from you home airport. Since the 3 clubs are within 100km of
each other the weather should be fairly uniform within that area.
However, as has been stated, we only count the best 5 days out of the
total of 10 scheduled days so differences in weather are evened out.

Scoring is done according to the OLC rules, using a software program
such as SeeYou. It is quite easy to do and also includes handicapping.

Over the years this competition has been a lot of fun and has
attracted new pilots as well as experienced ones. Its main advantage
over the OLC 2.5 hour competition is that everyone flies at the same
time and generally in the same conditions.