SN-10 wind problem

Old March 30th 09, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Boggs

Default SN-10 wind problem

My Ilec normaly does a great job calculating the wind while ridge
soaring here in Hood River, Oregon, but for the last few flights it
has not been giving me the correct wind, even with lots of circling.
It was off about 45 degrees all day yesterday. I rebooted it before
the flight but that didn't seem to help. Has any one else seen this
problem and have a fix or am I going to have to send it in again?

Gary Boggs
Old March 31st 09, 10:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ole John Aske

GARY BOGGS wrote:
My Ilec normaly does a great job calculating the wind while ridge
soaring here in Hood River, Oregon, but for the last few flights it
has not been giving me the correct wind, even with lots of circling.
It was off about 45 degrees all day yesterday. I rebooted it before
the flight but that didn't seem to help. Has any one else seen this
problem and have a fix or am I going to have to send it in again?

Gary Boggs

Have you checked / calibrated the SN10's IAS ?

Old March 31st 09, 02:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Gary,

This is a long shot, but are you sure that the winds weren't simply
different at altitude than on the ground? A 45 degree difference is
probably not that uncommon.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde

Old March 31st 09, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Mar 31, 5:50*am, Ole John Aske wrote:
GARY BOGGS wrote:
My Ilec normaly does a great job calculating the wind while ridge
soaring here in Hood River, Oregon, but for the last few flights it
has not been giving me the correct wind, even with lots of circling.
It was off about 45 degrees all day yesterday. I rebooted it before
the flight but that didn't seem to help. Has any one else seen this
problem and have a fix or am I going to have to send it in again?

Gary Boggs

Have you checked / calibrated the SN10's IAS ?

Per the (separate) email reply to Gary's email:

Hi Gary - Wind is calculated using:
- ASI (ignore small offsets at rest, should track accurately over 35
knots)
- external temperature (must be OAT, not somewhere-inside-cockpit
temp)
- GPS track information (GPS must be received OK by SN10)
If you're getting lousy winds and the actual wind is over ~8 knots,
one of these is ALWAYS screwed up (can be either an installation or
instrument problem).

The altitude screwup mentioned in your email indicates you could have
a static problem (something as simple as water in the static line or a
static leak could cause altitude and ASI errors, leading to wind
errors).

Do a CAREFUL check !
Let us know what you find !
Best Regards, Dave

At 08:44 PM 3/30/2009, Gary Boggs wrote:
Hi Dave
My ilec is acting up again. When I start it, it comes up with the
correct info for my home airport, and I hit enter but later in the
flight the altitude was low by several thousand feet. The calculated
wind speed and direction was also off all day by about 45 degrees
and
was high by 10-15mph. It's been doing this for several flights now
so
I tried rebooting it before yesterdays flight but it didn't seem to
help. Do I need to send it in again?

Gary Boggs
Old April 5th 09, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Boggs

Here's an update on my SN-10 plumbing. I had a little water in my TE
tube. After blowing that out, I did a leak test on the TE and pitot
plumbing. The pitot was air tight but I did find a leak in the TE
system. The temp probe looks good. I will fly today and report back.

as Mar 30, 11:35*am, GARY BOGGS wrote:
My Ilec normaly does a great job calculating the wind while ridge
soaring here in Hood River, Oregon, but for the last few flights it
has not been giving me the correct wind, even with lots of circling.
It was off about 45 degrees all day yesterday. I rebooted it before
the flight but that didn't seem to help. Has any one else seen this
problem and have a fix or am I going to have to send it in again?

Gary Boggs

sd
Old April 21st 09, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Barny

Gary,
How did your TE Leak fix work out? I have a no-wind problem with my
SN10.
~Barny
Old April 21st 09, 04:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Boggs

Sorry I didn't get back. It's still screwed up, I am going to have to
send it to Germany.

On Apr 20, 4:37*pm, Barny wrote:
Gary,
* How did your TE Leak fix work out? I have a no-wind problem with my
SN10.
~Barny

Vector Wind, Relative Wind calculation C 302/303 [email protected] Soaring 2 December 9th 08 07:23 PM
Wind tunnel, Germany WWII (or close) - wind-tunnel-test.jpg (1/1) JR[_2_] Aviation Photos 0 August 13th 08 09:36 PM
Wind tunnel, Germany WWII (or close) - wind-tunnel-test.jpg (0/1) JR[_2_] Aviation Photos 0 August 13th 08 09:35 PM
Wind is fun Dave J Piloting 17 May 15th 07 12:21 AM
Wind john smith Piloting 11 October 25th 05 04:05 AM