Electronic total energy vario

Old July 19th 11, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kd6veb

Default Electronic total energy vario

Hi Mike
The Westerboer 1020 vario is just what I may be looking for. Does
anyone have one of these and how good is it in a real glider with some
inaccuracies in the pitot and static systems? I have had a Stemme S10-
VT for 11 years (I just sold it) and the TE probe compensation was
much better than no compensation but still fairly poor. One could
easily demonstrate the stick thermal effect. Obviously the better the
TE compensation the easier it is to soar but my experience of the last
years is that 50% comp is OK but better than 70% comp is a winner.
Again your thoughts and experiences? Thanks.
Dave

On Jul 18, 5:31*pm, Mike wrote:
On Jul 18, 5:01*pm, kd6veb wrote:

Hi Gang
*The electronic TE vario should be possible to implement with modern
electronics today. I have googled this item but have not been able to
find one. Maybe it doesn't exist for whatever reasons. It would sure
simplify some of the complex TE probe systems that stick out of the
empennages of many gliders. Any ideas or thoughts?
Dave

Hi Dave,

The Westerboer 1020 is the latest full featured electronic total
energy vario from Westerboer- Great vario.

Mike

Old July 19th 11, 05:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_37_]

On Jul 18, 5:31*pm, Mike wrote:

On Jul 18, 5:01*pm, kd6veb wrote:

Hi Gang
*The electronic TE vario should be possible to implement with modern
electronics today. I have googled this item but have not been able to
find one. Maybe it doesn't exist for whatever reasons. It would sure
simplify some of the complex TE probe systems that stick out of the
empennages of many gliders. Any ideas or thoughts?
Dave

Hi Dave,

The Westerboer 1020 is the latest full featured electronic total
energy vario from Westerboer- Great vario.

Mike- Hide quoted text -

As mentioned earlier Dave, I have used the same 1020 in two sailplanes-
no problems in either. Tim, at Wings and Wheels, has info and a copy
of the owner manual on his site.

Mike
Old July 19th 11, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Reitter

On Jul 18, 11:56*pm, kd6veb wrote:

* The Westerboer 1020 vario is just what I may be looking for. Does

As has been pointed out, many varios support electronic TE. Some
interesting info is in the LX166 manual (a vario from LX Navigation):

http://www.craggyaero.com/User%20Gui...ishVer0110.pdf

p.11/12 deal with TE; they say that for electronic TE to work well,
the static source must be close to the pitot.

Borgelt varios seem to only do pneumatic TE.
Old July 19th 11, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

I have Electronic TE variometers.
please see my website
LX Navigation, Westerborer, Cambridge all have Electronic TE capability
for simple single 57mm Electronic TE check out Westerborer VW1020
thanks
tim
Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at www.wingsandwheels.com

signature database 6308 (20110719) __________