Museum Seeks To Contact Former F-104 Starfighter Pilots

Old August 19th 03, 07:10 PM
Jason Unwin

Default Museum Seeks To Contact Former F-104 Starfighter Pilots

The Pueblo Weisbrod Aircraft Museum in Pueblo, Colorado has recently
obtained an F-104A Starfighter that had been on display at the US Air
Force Academy at Colorado Springs Colorado. A formal dedication of the
aircraft is scheduled for 22 May 2004 in the museum's new 30,000
square foot hangar.
The museum is seeking former F-104 Starfighter pilots from the US
or foreign nations to invite to the dedication. Please write, email or
call the museum with the names and addresses of former or current
F-104 pilots. Please contact the museum at:

Pueblo Weisbrod Aircraft Museum
ATTN: Jason Unwin-Aerospace Education Officer
31001 Magnuson Blvd.
Pueblo, CO 81001
(719) 948-9219 Museum Phone

Feel free to share this message with anyone that may be
interested.

Jason Unwin
Aerospace Education Officer
Pueblo Weisbrod Aircraft Museum
Pueblo, CO
Old August 22nd 03, 02:25 AM

Ed Rasimus wrote:
(Jason Unwin) wrote:

[...]

Jason,

I've forwarded your request to an email listserv of tactical aviators
who might be able to help you out. One former Zipper driver, currently
in ABQ seems like a prime candidate to help you out.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (ret)
***"When Thunder Rolled:
*** An F-105 Pilot Over N. Vietnam"
*** from Smithsonian Books
ISBN: 1588341038

Speaking of the Zipper, here's another (forwarded) story for the
group:

***

I flew the "big engine" F-104 fighter for 18 months. It was without a
doubt the quickest airplane I ever flew. It seemed that . . the mach
meter was connected to the throttle. And with it our fleet of
F-104's would far exceed its maximum design speed airframe
limitations.

One instance that I recall was when I was bumping heads with a new
member of our squadron getting some radar practice at 5,000 feet
when I looked up and saw some condensation trails high above us.
One contrail was in front, while the other two contrails were
closing on it : an apparent intercept.

I asked GCI radar what was going. They replied that it was a 'long
winged' B-57 with a couple of F-102's closing on it in an intercept. I
asked if we could have a 'punch' at him, too.

He said " YOU ARE CLEARED".

I instantly radioed my wingman : ' G A T E ! '

We made one climbing spiral .. went way supersonic in the climbing
turn .. and hit the B-57 at 40,000 feet. We were still climbing like
hell when we splashed him . . and got him before the (incoming) dueces
arrived.

As we passed in front of the dueces their leader asked GCI : " What
the hell was that ? " [ The F-102's never had time to recognize . .
what we were.]

On the other hand, many times we'd hear the our fellow Zipper pilots
come back to the flight room and tell their own stories of how that
'big-engined' aircraft had amazed him.

Bill Lessard,
fighter pilot

***