"Outlandings" discussion

Old January 30th 08, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Reed[_1_]

Default "Outlandings" discussion

If you think Noddy is a tough one, try explaining the cultural
significance of Noddy's friend the Golliwog to an American.

Mike

Or the perennial eraser/rubber confusion, linked to the Australian usage
of Durex.
Old January 30th 08, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_1_]

jcarlyle wrote:
It's Shaw's "two countries divided by a common language" again,
Martin. In aviation parlance over here, CAP means Civil Air Patrol,
the guys who go out searching for overdue pilots.

Gottit - I thought forgot the US aviation meaning of the TLA, couldn't
work it out, and thought this must be some new-fangled equivalent of WAG
and that Mr. Cherokee wanted to combine retrieval with a camping trip.
Hence the rather lame attempt at a joke.

It's easy to get confused. A few weeks ago, you started a post with
"snap".

I thought snap was a game that was played throughout the card-playing
world. Rather like Monopoly and the board-game world.

What is the US English equivalent of "Snap!"? I can't think of one
apart from "Right!".

Another confusing point was a reference to Noddy in
another posting - Wikipedia explained that over here we'd use Mickey
Mouse. Finally, there's that Rube Goldberg/Heath Robinson thing...

Funny how the same ideas can have two completely different names. Still,
at least Murphy is known everywhere. Or does he have different names in
other languages?

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old January 30th 08, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shawn[_5_]

Martin Gregorie wrote:
jcarlyle wrote:
[...]

They make beds, right? ;-)

Shawn
Old January 30th 08, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Hi, Martin,

I thought snap was a game that was played throughout the card-playing
world. Rather like Monopoly and the board-game world.

From what my friend told me, I don't believe there's any equivalent
game in the US.

What is the US English equivalent of "Snap!"? I can't think of one
apart from "Right!".

How about: Me, too! Ditto! Same here!

Funny how the same ideas can have two completely different names. Still,
at least Murphy is known everywhere. Or does he have different names in
other languages?

I think Murphy is world-wide. Here's an interesting site
http://www.murphys-laws.com/murphy/murphy-true.html on Murphy, who
appears to be a modern incarnation of Sod's Law.

-John
Old January 31st 08, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams

Default Snap (off topic)

Maybe snap and war are similar. Throw down cards rapidly
in turn and if two in a row have the same number, the
first person to shout 'War' and grab it wins the pile.
Object is to claim all the cards.

At 23:06 30 January 2008, Jcarlyle wrote:
Hi, Martin,

I thought snap was a game that was played throughout
the card-playing
world. Rather like Monopoly and the board-game world.

From what my friend told me, I don't believe there's
any equivalent
game in the US.

Old January 31st 08, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Jan 30, 10:29*am, Chris Reed wrote:
If you think Noddy is a tough one, try explaining the cultural
significance of Noddy's friend the Golliwog to an American.

Mike

Or the perennial eraser/rubber confusion, linked to the Australian usage
of Durex.

True story. I worked as an assitant tennis pro at a posh country
club in the US. New tennis pro comes on board - he's an Aussie. His
wife Ellie keeps the shop.

We walk into the main clubhouse one day and he says "Hang on a minute,
I need to get some supplies for the office." Walks on over to the
main reception area where some of the blue hairs are milling about
waiting for the grill to open for the early bird special. "Hey Judy
(receptionist), I need a big box of rubbers. Ellie and I are going
through them like wild fire -she make a lot of mistakes."

- Blue hairs swallowed their dentures.
- Judy turned a shade of crimson.
- I peed my pants.

25 years later, we still talk about that one.
Old February 21st 08, 06:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

mattm wrote:

I have to add that I know of several landouts by friends last year.
The only two that resulted in damaged gliders were both at
airports marked on the charts (one was being redeveloped for
housing, and the other had not been mowed all summer).

Personally, a "landout" is a field landing, airports are maintained
runways usually intended for public use (though you can have private
airports), airstrip usually means a private grass or dirt strip that may
or may not be well maintained (but you can have public airstrips, like
state emergency fields). Based on my definitions, your friends did not
land at "airports" (the "port" part suggests to me that planes come and
go with some regularity and dependability), but might have qualified for
"landout" status from your description of the fields.

If you land at a towered airport with a 7000 foot long, 100 foot wide
runway, it is definitely NOT a landout! Call it a "landaway", say you
"didn't make it back", but save "landout" for when you have to be picked
out of a farmers field!

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* Updated! "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* New Jan '08 - sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old February 21st 08, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Personally, a "landout" is a field landing, airports are maintained
runways usually intended for public use (though you can have private
airports), airstrip usually means a private grass or dirt strip that may
or may not be well maintained (but you can have public airstrips, like
state emergency fields). Based on my definitions, your friends did not
land at "airports" (the "port" part suggests to me that planes come and
go with some regularity and dependability), but might have qualified for
"landout" status from your description of the fields.

If you land at a towered airport with a 7000 foot long, 100 foot wide
runway, it is definitely NOT a landout! Call it a "landaway", say you
"didn't make it back", but save "landout" for when you have to be picked
out of a farmers field!

Oh yeah? I bet if you landed at ATL (or Edwards AFB) in a glider, it
would be just as exciting as any "field landing"!

To me, any landing that isn't where you wanted to land before takeoff
is a landout. It could (and usually is, in modern glass) be at an
airfield, or it could be an off field landing in a meadow. The
criteria is that I was forced to land by the weather (or other
external factors), not at my predetermined destination.

In southern Illinois where I've been flying lately, there are nice
paved or grass, public or private airfields/airstrips everywhere - it
just doesn't make sense to risk damage by not using them if at all
possible. And a marginal final glide into a private airstrip 5 miles
short of home is a landout!

In Arizona, where I've done a bit of XC, you are foolish to not
landout on an airfield or ranch strip - there often isn't any
alternative. An off field landing in the desert is often accompanied
by one very broken glider...

Seems childish to insist that you have to pass up smarter options in
order to claim a landout! And let's face it, it's an ego thing - "if
you aren't landing out, you aren't trying", etc...

Kirk
66
Old February 22nd 08, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

What's the "usual" cost to the pilot for a retrieval from an land out?

I know it depends on lots of things.

But let's say he lands at an airfield and opts for the trailer rather
than the towplane. Does the pilot owe full dinner? Light hors
d'oeuvres? One beer? A six pack? A promise to wax the retrieval
person's wings? If only one person is needed, but more come, does the
pilot have to "pay" the entire posse?

Now, if the pilot lands out in a pasture out in the boonies and the
gate is locked and nobody has a "master key" (aka bolt cutters) and
several people have to lift the parts over the fence, does the pilot
pay the whole retrieval crew? What "fee?"

Curious (and bored)

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

Phrase "landing runway" vs. "cleared to land" Robert M. Gary Piloting 168 February 5th 08 05:32 PM
Phrase "landing runway" vs. "cleared to land" Robert M. Gary Instrument Flight Rules 137 February 5th 08 05:32 PM
Old polish aircraft TS-8 "Bies" ("Bogy") - for sale >pk Aviation Marketplace 0 October 16th 06 07:48 AM
Desktop Wallpaper - "The "Hanoi Taxi"". T. & D. Gregor, Sr. Simulators 0 December 31st 05 06:59 PM