Gladiators of the Sky DVD

Old May 22nd 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Gladiators of the Sky DVD

DVDs are regionalised. It wouldn't matter what system, PAL, NTSC or
SECAM you were using if you have a region 1 DVD player that has not been
deregionalised it will not play DVDs from other regions.

The regional codes are as follows:

1: U.S., Canada, U.S. Territories
2: Japan, Europe, South Africa, and Middle East (including Egypt)
3: Southeast Asia and East Asia (including Hong Kong)
4: Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Central America, Mexico,
South America, and the Caribbean
5: Eastern Europe (Former Soviet Union), Indian subcontinent, Africa,
North Korea, and Mongolia
6: China

Many DVD players can be easily deregionalised, check the news groups or
websites that deal with this for details. My experience is that some
Sony players cannot be deregionalised. In the UK many DVD players are
sold already deregionalised, or the seller will tell you how to do it.
Typically pressing a bunch of the control buttons is all that is necessary.

I solved the problem by buying a deregionalised and code free
player/recorder unit from an outfit in Chicago.

However you needn't suffer all this pain if you play the DVD on a
computer that has a player such as Power DVD installed. This software
player is not regionalised. If your computer monitor is too small then
feed the output to an LCD projector.

I'm surprised that the SSA is selling a DVD with Aus/NZ region 4 coding.
John Roake is selling the Aus/NZ version. SSA should be selling
region 1 version.

Don't blame the TV formatting system, PAL/NTSC/SECAM, but the greed of
the movie makers who wish to prevent me buying cheap DVD movies in the
US and shipping them to friends and family in the UK and Asia.
Fortunately they have deregionalised DVD players, so their game doesn't
work with me.

Gladiators of the Sky is outstanding. I ordered mine from John Roake
and it is region 4, so it doesn't play on my very expensive Sony player,
but just fine on my deregionalised unit and my various computers.

kernow

wrote:
I just received "Gladiators of the Sky" from the SSA and was crushed
when my DVD player rejected the disk as incompatible (I live in
Florida).
Apparently, and understandably, its in a 'New Zealand' format: PAL.
In the US and Japan we follow the NTSC format. Fortunately my iMac
didn't gag on the disk and it is AWSOME. Unfortunately, I will not be
able to captivate unsuspecting friends and family in my living-room
with a big screen and surround sound with this incredible production.
Either I don't have the right friends or the right personality, but I'm
sure nobody will crowd around my computer screen in a confined space to
wittness such a spectacular sport. I've run out of adjectives but I
highly recommend the DVD in any format.
Gene
John wrote:

On 21/5/06 2:32 AM, in article
s.com, "Gabriel Duford"
wrote:

Where can we buy it?

From

Old May 22nd 06, 08:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

In article . net,
Kernow wrote:

I'm surprised that the SSA is selling a DVD with Aus/NZ region 4 coding.
John Roake is selling the Aus/NZ version. SSA should be selling
region 1 version.

Don't blame the TV formatting system, PAL/NTSC/SECAM, but the greed of
the movie makers who wish to prevent me buying cheap DVD movies in the
US and shipping them to friends and family in the UK and Asia.
Fortunately they have deregionalised DVD players, so their game doesn't
work with me.

Gladiators of the Sky is outstanding. I ordered mine from John Roake
and it is region 4, so it doesn't play on my very expensive Sony player,
but just fine on my deregionalised unit and my various computers.

I'm very surprised to hear that. The copy I purchased at Warbirds Over
Wanaka at Easter is not region coded at all (i.e. is region 0, playable
on anything). It would surprise me if either John's or the SSA's copies
are region coded.

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
Old May 22nd 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi,

The first batch was in PAL format. I complained strongly about this issue
and they are now producing NTSC versions which will be avaiable soon. I have
a bunch of the PAL ones in stock but I plan to return them. Some newer USA
DVD players can play them, but most cannot.

It is a very good video.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde

Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
Now serving the soaring community full time.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com
1-952-445-9033

Old May 24th 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Bruce Hoult writes:

It's not some sort of local NZ format -- PAL is the standard format
used everywhere in the world except the USA, Canada and Japan. And
all of our DVD players (even the cheapest) and TVs can play your
minority NTSC format as well. I don't know why your DVD player
won't play the world-wide standard. It really can't add much to the
cost, since DVD players selling here for $70 (US$45) do.

World? That's that thing that goes from NY to California isn't it?

It is worse Bruce, it cost's money to disable the PAL and SECAM decoding
in the chipsets...

--
Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.
Old May 24th 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Great to hear about the sales figures for this DVD.
Sorry some had compatibility problems.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this onto a broadcast, cable or
satelite network? (that was my original question)
Are there any efforts underway that RAS'ers could support?

"303SAM" wrote in message
This is the story of the recent Soaring Gran Prix in NZ. It is
exceptionally well done and I recommend it to everyone on this list. I
think what they've done is right on target for making the excitement and
beauty of soaring accessible to a wide audience. The air to air shots are
fantastic.

I'd like to see this broadcast and read here recently that there were some
efforts underway to do just that. Does anyone know how to support the
efforts to get this story broadcast? Is there a network I should call,
write or email?

Old May 26th 06, 10:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Great to hear about the sales figures for this DVD.
Sorry some had compatibility problems.

Now all we have to do is educate the US that the world is Metric and all the
compatibility problems will be sorted.
:-)

Chris
(flame suit - on)