Non Standard ATC Phraseology

Old November 19th 04, 12:00 AM
In Soo

Default Non Standard ATC Phraseology

Hi pilots, I am new to the group and wanted to see if you guys hear
Non-standard ATC phraseology around places where you fly.
Our tower at Chander, AZ usually request us to report 2 mile base when
entering a traffic pattern. I thought the standard pattern entry was 45 to
downwind or final. If you have any non-standard phraseology or clearance,
can you please let the group know?

In Soo Hwang

Old November 19th 04, 12:26 AM
Newps

In Soo wrote:
Hi pilots, I am new to the group and wanted to see if you guys hear
Non-standard ATC phraseology around places where you fly.
Our tower at Chander, AZ usually request us to report 2 mile base when
entering a traffic pattern. I thought the standard pattern entry was 45 to
downwind or final. If you have any non-standard phraseology or clearance,
can you please let the group know?

There is no standard entry at a towered airport. The tower will tell
you how to enter the pattern. If he asks for a report that is usually
because he doesn't have radar.
Old November 19th 04, 01:46 AM
Slick

From what I have assumed; At a towered airport, the controllers are watching
out for you, so there doesn't have to be any pattern. The reason we normally
fly a pattern is so that everyone knows where to look to be safe. I've been
to a lot of different towered airports that have given me straight in or
single turn to final procedures. Of course I normally fly during low volume
times.

Old November 19th 04, 04:07 AM
PJ Hunt

There is still a pattern and it is the same as every airport, with a few odd
exceptions for various reasons... But specifically it is the 'entry' that
the controllers will call out that will be different from your standard non
towered 45 degree entry. (And even that is not mandated, but highly
suggested.)

PJ

Here's to the duck who swam a lake and never lost a feather,
May sometime another year, we all be back together.
JJW

"Slick" wrote in message ...
From what I have assumed; At a towered airport, the controllers are

watching

"Newps" wrote in message

In Soo wrote:
Hi pilots, I am new to the group and wanted to see if you guys hear
Non-standard ATC phraseology around places where you fly.
Our tower at Chander, AZ usually request us to report 2 mile base when
entering a traffic pattern. I thought the standard pattern entry was

45
downwind or final. If you have any non-standard phraseology or

clearance,
can you please let the group know?

There is no standard entry at a towered airport. The tower will tell
you how to enter the pattern. If he asks for a report that is usually
because he doesn't have radar.

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 100,000

Newsgroups

Old November 19th 04, 01:35 PM
Nathan Young

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 17:00:56 -0700, "In Soo"
wrote:

Hi pilots, I am new to the group and wanted to see if you guys hear
Non-standard ATC phraseology around places where you fly.
Our tower at Chander, AZ usually request us to report 2 mile base when
entering a traffic pattern. I thought the standard pattern entry was 45 to
downwind or final. If you have any non-standard phraseology or clearance,
can you please let the group know?

It is definitely common to have a tower controller ask you to join the
pattern on a base, and report X miles out. Very common at class Ds
without radar.
Old November 19th 04, 02:59 PM
Mark Kolber

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 20:46:18 -0500, "Slick" wrote:

From what I have assumed; At a towered airport, the controllers are watching
out for you,

Probably not meant that way, but that's a potentially dangerous
thought. At towered airports, ATC is controlling the sequencing of
traffic to avoid airplane having unfriendly meetings on the runway.

But they are not "watching out for you." You are PIC. =You= are
watching out for you. There has been more than one accident and many
near ones caused by a pilot thinking that vigilance was not necessary
because of those extra eyes. That was brought home to me one day when
tower tried to turn me into the path on an incoming CitationJet.

Mark Kolber
APA/Denver, Colorado
www.midlifeflight.com
======================
email? Remove ".no.spam"
Old November 19th 04, 07:59 PM
Andrew Gideon

Nathan Young wrote:

It is definitely common to have a tower controller ask you to join the
pattern on a base, and report X miles out. Very common at class Ds
without radar.

For example, consider CDW. If they're using 22, and you're coming in from
the north...

If it is very quite, you'll get a straight-in.

If it is a little busy, you'll get a base.

If it is very busy, you'll be told to join the downwind.

- Andrew

Old November 19th 04, 09:07 PM
Kyler Laird

"In Soo" writes:

If you have any non-standard phraseology or clearance,
can you please let the group know?

Which standard? ICAO standards are routinely ignored around here (USA).

--kyler
Old November 19th 04, 09:25 PM
John Galban

"In Soo" wrote in message news:WIand.17773$233.12391@okepread05...
Hi pilots, I am new to the group and wanted to see if you guys hear
Non-standard ATC phraseology around places where you fly.
Our tower at Chander, AZ usually request us to report 2 mile base when
entering a traffic pattern. I thought the standard pattern entry was 45 to
downwind or final. If you have any non-standard phraseology or clearance,
can you please let the group know?

I fly out of Chandler and get that request often (coming in from the
South to runway 4). The phraseology is fine. I believe you're
applying the recommended 45 degree entry at uncontrolled airports to a
towered field. At KCHD, they will ask you to join the pattern in
whatever way is most convenient for you and them. For example, when
runway 4 is in use, you will almost always get a straight-in approach
(with a request to report 2 miles out), if you initially report from
the southwest. This is quite standard procedure for a tower.

One thing to keep in mind, inbound traffic from the north or south
and asked to enter a downwind, they expect you to fly a 45 to the
downwind. I don't know if this is a standard procedure, but it is
often published in the "Tower Talk" section of the airport newsletter.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old November 19th 04, 09:31 PM
John Galban

Newps wrote in message ...

If he asks for a report that is usually
because he doesn't have radar.

KCHD almost always asks for a 2 mile report on any leg except the
downwind entry (where they tell you to report turning downwind). They
do have a D-Brite radar display. I've asked tower personnel about it
and they're just trying to make sure they don't forget you. Slow
training traffic often reports in from 8 miles out and it can be
awhile before they actually enter the pattern environment.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)