Jantar Standard 3

Old October 29th 03, 05:49 AM
Miguel Lavalle

Default Jantar Standard 3

What is the performance of the Jantar Standard 3? How suitable is it as =
first glider ofr a new pilot?

Regards

Miguel

Old October 29th 03, 06:08 AM
BTIZ

from the US SSA 1997 Sailplane directory..

performance is listed as 40/1 at 60knt or 111kph

as for it "being suitable"... IT DEPENDS...
in what type aircraft was your primary training..
in what type aircraft has your advanced training..

have you ever flown an ASK-21 or Grob 103.. if you are pilot qualified..
(P1?) in those.. then I would consider it "suitable" for a "First aircraft"

BT

Old October 29th 03, 04:17 PM
cernauta

"Miguel Lavalle" wrote in message

What is the performance of the Jantar Standard 3? How suitable is it as =
a first glider ofr a new pilot?

IMHO, it's an excellent glider. Controls are very responsive, a pilot's
machine. Perfomance is more than adequate, very close to LS4 in my
experience (one competition in Rieti a few years ago). Powerful
airbrakes. Very comfortable and a urinal relief tube is built-in. Good
visibility especially if you are tall. Strong and durable construction.
Prices usually in the low end for glass gliders.

It does have disadvantages, too:
you should keep an higher than average speed when thermalling, in order
to climb well, leading to high bank angles and G's, and more fatigue on
the pilot;
it easily drops a wing on takeoff and landing, especially when the CG is
set in an aft position (aft CG is good for climbing performance);
response to control inputs can be quite nervous as compared to LS4, a
matter of personal tastes;
if you fly aerobatics, care should be taken to avoid g-stall.

At more or less the same price, an LS1/DG100 (or LS3/DG200 at some more
money) will allow more relaxed flying.

This in my VHO.

Aldo Cernezzi
DG600
Old October 30th 03, 01:27 AM
bsquared

My first glider is an SZD-59, basically the same airframe but with low tail
and removable wingtips for Acro. Works great for me. Cross country one
day, acro the next.

Old October 30th 03, 04:34 PM
Ray Payne

not that good!!!!!!!!! same as LS4, but a poor weak soaring glider, also
problems with bearings in the wing, they fail, then your down to cutting holes, go
buy a LS4!

Old October 31st 03, 10:09 AM
OscarCVox

Good glider. Better in stronger conditions. Derek Piggott says in one of his
books that they spin easily with little warning so best to get some conversion
training in a similar 2 seater first
Nigel
Old November 14th 03, 10:12 PM
Arnold Pieper

Miguel,

The Jantar Std 3 is a great first ship. Actually it's a excellent ship.
I have 250hrs of x-country in both Jantar Std 2 and 3.
Between these two, I'd stick with the 3, which has a single piece canopy and
additional seat and rudder pedal positions when compared with the 2.

Advantages :
-Very, I mean, VERY robust construction. It's like a tank.It will take a lot
of punishment in landouts. I've had the experience of landing in the same
plowed field with other gliders, and seeing Discuses lose or damage their
gear dors and scratch their bellies, while the Jantar was standing strong,
undamaged.
-150L (330 lbs) of water ballast in "wet wings" (no "bags"), very good
ballast system
-Very docile. Forget the comments about spinning. It's a non-issue.
-No Gel-coat, all the ones I know are poly
-Very good performance in strong conditions, especially with 40-45 Kg/sqm
-It's a real dream to perform aerobatics.

Disadvantages :
-Seating position is not as good as some other gliders, it requires a
"turtle back" parachute to be confortable for 6hr flights.
-Not all controls hook-up automatically. You have to manually hook the
ailerons and elevator when you assemble the glider. Ballast and airbrakes
do hook up automatically on assembly.
-Aileron rod bearings do fail, and you have to open holes on the wings if
you have to replace them.
Check to see that the stick movement is light (it IS very light normally).
If they are a bit on the heavy side, chances are you'll have to replace
those bearings, or someone already did, and didn't do a good job. I've seen
it happen.
-Not the best climber in weak thermals, but Hey, when you master this ship,
believe-me, you'll be able to climb with everyone else anyway. And then,
when you fly other ships, you'll be able to outclimb anybody else in any
other glider.
I used to practice staying in weak thermals as long as I could before giving
up and landing.
It was worth a lot later in competition, when most people landed out in all
kinds of gliders, and I still survived and made it, leaving behind an
SZD-55, Nimbus-4, DG-500, ASW-20, Libelle, and some other ships.

Performance wise, with no ballast, it will be slightly less then a Pegase.
With strong weather and high wing loading, it will probably be on pair, if
not slightly better than a Pegase.

Transition :
-I've made my way from the Blanik L-13, then a single place wooden glider,
similar to a Ka-8, directly into the cockpit of a Jantar Std 3. No problem
at all.
A Libelle is harder to fly than a Jantar Std 3.

Hope this helps.

Arnold

Old November 18th 03, 03:55 AM
Bob May

I don't understand all the comments about poor weak condition
thermalling. Slow it down to about 45 knots and bank it over hard.
It will out climb just about anything.
Old November 18th 03, 11:33 PM
Arnold Pieper

I don't think it's a poor performer in weak conditions, you got it : bank it
hard and you can climb with everybody else.
The difference is that something like the SZD-55 or Discus (or any of the
gliders with that kind of wing shape) will be a little easier to climb, and
probably outclimb the Jantar in similar conditions.
Better climb is the very reason why they go out of their way to shape those
wings like that.

m...

Old November 19th 03, 01:01 AM
Bruce Hoult

In article ,
"Arnold Pieper" wrote:

I don't think it's a poor performer in weak conditions, you got it : bank it
hard and you can climb with everybody else.
The difference is that something like the SZD-55 or Discus (or any of the
gliders with that kind of wing shape) will be a little easier to climb, and
probably outclimb the Jantar in similar conditions.
Better climb is the very reason why they go out of their way to shape those
wings like that.

PW-5 woo hoo!!

-- Bruce