DC-3 Locations

Old March 27th 04, 12:02 AM
RobbelothE

Default DC-3 Locations

Can anyone tell me how I can find out where the nearest DC-3 to me is located?
I live near Eglin AFB, in Florida (about 40 miles east of Pensacola). I need
to gather some information on its structure. TIA.
Ed
"If an enemy power is bent on conquering you, and proposed to
turn all of his resources to that end, he is at war with you;
and you -- unless you contemplate surrender -- are at war with
him." --Barry Goldwater

Old March 27th 04, 01:48 AM
Mike Williamson

RobbelothE wrote:
Can anyone tell me how I can find out where the nearest DC-3 to me is located?
I live near Eglin AFB, in Florida (about 40 miles east of Pensacola). I need
to gather some information on its structure. TIA.
Ed
"If an enemy power is bent on conquering you, and proposed to
turn all of his resources to that end, he is at war with you;
and you -- unless you contemplate surrender -- are at war with
him." --Barry Goldwater

Well, I believe that I saw one at Panama City's airport the last time
I was through there, although it was over a year ago.

Mike

Old March 27th 04, 02:56 AM
Bob's Your Uncle

NAS Pensacola Naval Museum

Old March 27th 04, 04:25 AM
Les Matheson

If you want to look at one on the ground, there is an AC-47 in the air park
at Hurlburt Field, just inside the main gate.

There is one in Panama City, but it is on the airport property and might be
hard to get to. There is also the Navy Museum in P'Cola.
--
Les
F-4C(WW),D,E,G(WW)/AC-130A/MC-130E EWO (ret)

Old March 27th 04, 04:41 AM
B2431

(RobbelothE)

Can anyone tell me how I can find out where the nearest DC-3 to me is
located?
I live near Eglin AFB, in Florida (about 40 miles east of Pensacola). I need
to gather some information on its structure. TIA.
Ed

The closest to you is right outside Eglin's west gate at the Armament Museum.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old March 27th 04, 02:06 PM
RobbelothE

Thanks. The Naval AIr Museum doesn't have one..I checked with them.

The Panama City Airport is certainly an option. I'll have to look there.

The others are actually C-47s (doors and landing gear are different from DC-3).

Old March 27th 04, 11:08 PM
JDupre5762

The others are actually C-47s (doors and landing gear are different from
DC-3).

How is the landing gear of a C-47 different from a DC-3? As far as I have know
they are identical. Some versions of the later models of DC-3 had doors to
cover the gear but they had a different designation in the military as well.

John Dupre'
Old March 28th 04, 02:53 PM
C Knowles

The DC-3's drag link was is welded tube, as was the C-53's. The C-47
switched to a cast drag link to speed production.
Curt

Old March 28th 04, 07:17 PM
J Haggerty

If you don't mind the drive, you can head over to Lakeland FL during the
Sun 'n Fun Fly In & Air Show on 13-19 April. The FAA's DC-3, N-34, is
scheduled to fly there. http://www.sun-n-fun.org/content/
Although N-34 is listed as a DC-3, it actually started life officially
as a Navy TC-47B. If you need a photo of a particular area of this
particular airplane emailed to you, let me know, as I may have one from
several photos of the plane I took when it was here in Oklahoma City,
its home base.

JPH

Old March 28th 04, 09:03 PM
RobbelothE

Actually, when the DC-3 was modified for military use, one of the things
changes was the landing gear. The DC-3 main gear was too complex to manufacture
for wartime so a simpler Y-shaped strut (cast? or stamped? not sure) was used
instead. The give away is the girder style metal on the Y-shaped strut for the
C-47 while the DC-3 had one done out of metal tubing and it has a smoother
appearance.