C-130 on Navy Carrier

Old February 6th 05, 04:13 PM
Pechs1

ballensr- Does anyone know anything about the C-130 that made arrested
landings and
launches from a Navy aircraft carrier back in the 1960s? BRBR

I'm sure a bunch will repsond but they weren't 'arrested' landings but just max
reverse pitch when landing, with lots of WOD. Done by Admiral, then LCDR(?)
Flatley. I was in VF-33 when he was CAG..
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old February 7th 05, 01:07 AM
JJ

"W. D. Allen Sr." wrote:
Does anyone know anything about the C-130 that made arrested landings and
launches from a Navy aircraft carrier back in the 1960s?
WDA
end

What would happen if the C130 just flew in low to the deck and the
cargo was ejected out the back? Could most airdropped stuff take a 10
foot freefall? How about 20 feet? How about the carrier deck?
Probably no dents right? I can imagine it "depends" on what is being
delivered.

How about a scenario like this?

C130 has a very heavy cargo load and minimal fuel. As soon as it
takes off, it does an aerial refueling and flies to the carrier. I
don't know the numbers but I imagine takeoff weight is lower than max
airborne?

Jay
Old February 7th 05, 02:57 AM
Tex Houston

"Peter Twydell" wrote in message

Where would they have parked it between flights, had it gone into service?
--
Peter

How about in the normal parking spot on the base where it was stationed on
land. Don't think it was ever contemplated to have a carrier based C-130.
Think about it.

Regards,

Tex

Old February 7th 05, 08:31 AM
John Keeney

"JJ" wrote in message
"W. D. Allen Sr." wrote:
Does anyone know anything about the C-130 that made arrested landings and
launches from a Navy aircraft carrier back in the 1960s?
WDA
end

What would happen if the C130 just flew in low to the deck and the
cargo was ejected out the back? Could most airdropped stuff take a 10
foot freefall? How about 20 feet? How about the carrier deck?
Probably no dents right? I can imagine it "depends" on what is being
delivered.

Don't forget that besides the ten foot fall the dropped cargo is
moving forward at the same speed as the C-130. You'll need a
big net to catch it before it zooms off the end of the deck.
The plane could stop because it could use its brakes and reverse
thrust.

Old February 7th 05, 08:41 AM
Dave Kearton

"John Keeney" wrote in message

| "JJ" wrote in message
| "W. D. Allen Sr." wrote:
| Does anyone know anything about the C-130 that made arrested landings
and
| launches from a Navy aircraft carrier back in the 1960s?
| WDA
| end
|
| What would happen if the C130 just flew in low to the deck and the
| cargo was ejected out the back? Could most airdropped stuff take a 10
| foot freefall? How about 20 feet? How about the carrier deck?
| Probably no dents right? I can imagine it "depends" on what is being
| delivered.
|
| Don't forget that besides the ten foot fall the dropped cargo is
| moving forward at the same speed as the C-130. You'll need a
| big net to catch it before it zooms off the end of the deck.
| The plane could stop because it could use its brakes and reverse
| thrust.
|
| How about a scenario like this?
|
| C130 has a very heavy cargo load and minimal fuel. As soon as it
| takes off, it does an aerial refueling and flies to the carrier. I
| don't know the numbers but I imagine takeoff weight is lower than max
| airborne?
|
| Jay

In addition to all that, the damage done by the pallet to the non-skid
surface would be extensive.

I recall when Kitty Hawk visited Perth recently it received a $100K
resurface, before heading out again.

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton