Start Anywhere Cylinder (SSA rules proposal)

Old September 18th 03, 04:19 AM
Mark Navarre

Default Start Anywhere Cylinder (SSA rules proposal)

16.0 “Start Anywhere” Cylinder
Present rules for start cylinders measure start time from your exit point, but
measure distance from the point on the cylinder’s perimeter closest to your
first turnpoint.
16.1 Would you prefer that both start time and distance be measured from
your cylinder exit point?

Consider the negative implications of starting out the top of the back of the
cylinder and then bumping the pre-start gaggles for more speed. This would mix
racing traffic with non racing traffic, and high speed straight line traffic
with thermalling traffic. Yes, I know this happens already while on course,
but it's not safe there either. Why propose a rule just because the scoring
program can score it? The same logic was partly behind the 1 mile turn
cylinder (read between the lines of the poll). Starting anywhere sure adds
some new variables to "start gate roulette". So you say we will all figure out
the new optimum place to start, go there, and the point is moot? NOT. There
has been an optimum place to start for years with the current rules, but I
observe 20% of pilots have not caught on. That won't change with a new rule.
Why so many rules proposals, anyway? The rules were not that broken until a
committee broke them, while squawking "safety" among other things, and now
there are increasing efforts to protect us from ourselves.
I propose a new rule: 3 year rules stability. Allow discussions, polls, and
regional testing, but National level changes only on a three year cycle.
-
Mark Navarre
ASW-20 OD
California, USA
-

Old September 18th 03, 03:38 PM
John Cochrane

C'mon Mark, read and think before you blow up. The rule says "exit the
cylinder." You can't bump the start gaggles in the cylinder if you
have exited the cylinder.

And give the RC a little credit for intelligence. They've thought
about this problem. I believe the precise rule the RC is working on
insists on taking your last exit from the cylinder precisely to avoid
traffic problems. They have thought about only allowing starts from
the "front half" of the circle. I know they decided against "best fix
in the start area" precisely to avoid this traffic problem. They have
thought hard about it, and any rule they end up with will address this
obvious problem. They're not dumb, you know.

Here's the advantage of taking distance from the exit point. In the
current system a single point is optimal -- the point of the circle
closest to the first turn. This focuses traffic and gives rise to
the huge pre start gaggle we all know and love.

If you get credit for the extra distance that you achieve, starting
say 1/4 of the way around the start circle, then you can avoid the
huge gaggle with no penalty. You can also start directly from a good
thermal, or start at the point closest to the cloudstreet out on
course, without worrying about losing the 2-3 miles relative to the
optimal point. How relaxing.

It becomes just like starting from a line -- there is no single
optimal point. Every start point is "just as close" to the first turn.
Lots of people want a line for this reason -- Dave Mockler campaigned
for RC precisely on this. With this little change you get all the
benefits of starting on a line, and none of the disadvantages:
everyone is within 5 miles of the home airport, and there is no upwind
end.

This change also reduces the amount of calculation and figuring you
have to do. With the current rule, the optimal start point also
depends on wind. I know the secret formula for that, do you? If the
last thermal is far from the optimal point, you have to figure out
whether it's better to glide to the front of the circle, losing
altitude, or leave where you are, losing distance. I know that formula
too. Do you? All of this disappears in this nice new idea.

If something is better, why in the world tie yourself to not using it
for 3 years? I notice few pilots insisting on 3 year moratoriums for
new varios or new gliders!

John Cochrane
Old September 18th 03, 03:57 PM
Chris OCallaghan

Mark,

The prestart gaggle is a dangerous place... especially at nationals.
You have three types of traffic in this gaggle. The guys waiting at
the top flying circles at 80 knots, the guys below who are climbing
for all they're worth afraid they might lose the guys at the top, and
the guys coming in from all points on the compass and altitudes to see
who is in the prestart gaggle. This rule may just may be useful in
reducing that density. On many occassions I have wished that I could
get credit for a start 45 or 90 degrees around the circle (where there
was better lift and a better cloud field on course), but have been
forced into the gaggle because I couldn't justify the 4 or 5 minutes
I'd be giving away.

The two start cylinders at Tonopah reduced the anxiety level. Giving
us the rest of the space, without penalizing our using it, would
improve things even more. This time, I think the committee is
addressing a real problem with an effective solution. Problem is,
we've has so much smoke blowing in the name of safety that it's wiser
to be suspecious of its motives.

Just like the 1m turnpoint, the 1m finish cylinder, and even the 10m
AAT cylinder, there is only one best place to be at a given time. And
if there are 50 gliders in the neighborhood, that's where they'll wind
up.

I was almost hit twice at Hobbs this year in the prestart gaggle. God
only knows who I scared as I slammed the controls full stop to avoid
the guys who didn't see me.

Old September 18th 03, 04:32 PM
Andy Blackburn

This seems sensible on initial inspection.

First, I don't believe that it is valuable to test
as a racing skill the ability to find the one thermal
that is closest to the optimal exit point. Finding
the best path to start out on course seems more consistent
with the idea of a start cylinder.

Second, I have frequently deviated several miles to
make a start that minimizes distance to the first turn,
but given up altitude in the process - as John points
out this is just a math problem to solve, but I think
racing should not rely too much on solving trigonometry
problems in the cockpit.

Third, there does often appear to be significant gaggling
near the optimal exit point, which gets particularly
dense at the top of lift or MSH. I can't prove that
this would go down under the alternative (leaching
might be too big a lure), but I don't see any way that
it would increase gaggling.

Some counterpoints to consider:

1) If there is a front-side rule, pilots will need
to be aware of where the 90-degree off-courseline points
on the cylinder are and the rules will have to account
for pilots who exit the back side. Not sure why anyone
would do this - but I'm sure someone would do it.

2) If the start cylinder is large we will introduce
more variability in distance flown across pilots, which
further dilutes the intuitive appeal of 'shortest time
wins' in ASTs. That is, it will be hard to compare
performance until the scoring program has processed
everyone's flight logs, which in my mind is a major
downside of the variable distance tasks - and bigger
turnpoint cylinders.

9B

Old September 19th 03, 04:34 AM
Mark Navarre

C'mon Mark, read and think before you blow up. The rule says "exit the
cylinder." You can't bump the start gaggles in the cylinder if you
have exited the cylinder.

Then the poll question needs to be rewritten with clarity and completeness in
mind.
I spoke with P7 during region 12 and was left with the understanding that the
rule would allow scoring from the most favorable start point, just as the most
favorable turn points in the turn cylinders are scored. The poll question does
not provide enough info about the proposed new rule for one to give an educated
answer. This can be said about several of the other questions, btw.
-
Mark Navarre
ASW-20 OD
California, USA
-
Old September 20th 03, 06:27 AM
Gary Ittner

Mark Navarre wrote:

Then the poll question needs to be rewritten with clarity and completeness in
mind.

Here again is the complete text of question 16 from the poll:

16. Start Anywhere Cylinder

Present rules for start cylinders measure start time from your exit
point, but measure distance from the point on the cylinders perimeter
closest to your first turnpoint.

16.1 Would you prefer that both start time and distance be measured from
your cylinder exit point?

___ Yes ___ No

Mark, it is unclear to me exactly what you find unclear about the above
question.

I spoke with P7 during region 12 and was left with the understanding that the
rule would allow scoring from the most favorable start point, just as the most
favorable turn points in the turn cylinders are scored.

I can't imagine what I might have said to leave you with that
understanding (are you sure you weren't talking to someone else?) It is
true that the Rules Committee has considered an "area start" proposal in
the past, but rejected it for several reasons, as you can see in item 33
of the 2001 Rules Committee Meeting Minutes:

33 Area start
"Sounds simple but has several potential problems. Needs more thought.
There would be a tendency to start at the back of the cylinder and fly
through the pre-start gaggles on course. This could present a safety
problem. Disadvantage in pilot not knowing when they started. Likely
requires graphical display to not be disadvantaged. With multipoint
start option, prestart congestion will be reduced. Resolution: No action
at this time - table for future consideration."

BTW, past Rules Committee minutes are archived at:
http://www.serve.com/BSA/sra.htm

The poll question does
not provide enough info about the proposed new rule for one to give an educated
answer.

Is it the purpose of an opinion poll to educate everyone thoroughly on
every aspect of a rules issue, so they can form an opinion? Or is the
purpose to allow people to provide input on those rules issues about
which they have an opinion?

It is true that I included more "pro & con" in last year's poll, but
that also generated some criticism. You can't please everyone, I guess.
Some people thought it was just ducky that I listed arguments supporting
their viewpoint on an issue, but were livid that I also listed arguments
supporting the opposing viewpoint.

I do believe that it is important to keep a poll as brief as possible,
if you want people to wade through it. Last week I received a "Client
Satisfaction Survey" from my long-time stockbroker. It was 8 pages long.
I didn't want to spend the time, so I chucked it in the trash.

Gary Ittner P7
SSA Contest Rules Committee
Old September 20th 03, 02:57 PM
John Cochrane

A slight clarification to Gary's post: As I read it, the proposal in
the survey is NOT the same as the "area start" that the RC considered
and wisely rejected. The area start let you start from any point IN
the start circle. This one lets you start at any cylinder EXIT point.
The reason for the difference is exactly to separate people who have
started from the pre-start gaggle. (Well, at least as much as in
current rules. Often the prestart gaggle is outside the gate, so
people start and return to bump the gaggle.)

John Cochrane

Old September 20th 03, 03:36 PM
Mark Navarre

P7 replies:

Then the poll question needs to be rewritten with clarity and completeness

in
mind.

Here again is the complete text of question 16 from the poll:

16. “Start Anywhere” Cylinder

Present rules for start cylinders measure start time from your exit
point, but measure distance from the point on the cylinder’s perimeter
closest to your first turnpoint.

16.1 Would you prefer that both start time and distance be measured from
your cylinder exit point?

___ Yes ___ No

Mark, it is unclear to me exactly what you find unclear about the above
question.

The text of the current rule reads:
10.8.5.3 A start occurs each time a sailplane exits a Start Cylinder (either
through the side or the top); at least one fix must lie within the cylinder.

One would think that the definition of "exit" in the poll question is the same
as in the rules. The question could have said:
"16.1 Would you prefer that both start time and distance be measured from
your cylinder exit point on the perimeter of the start cylinder?"

Thanks for the clarification, I will now edit my poll. I suppose I could have
asked one of the rules committee members, but then my 2 or 3 fellow nitpickers
would still be in the dark.
-
Mark Navarre
ASW-20 OD
California, USA
-
Old September 21st 03, 02:04 AM
Jonathan Gere

Now I'm confused. If I exit through the back top, that's an exit. If
I then descend into the cylinder and bump all the pre-start thermals,
my subsequent exit invalidates the previous start out the top? If so,
then what keeps my trip through the start cylinder on the fifth leg
from invalidating my race to that point? Intentions?

Jonathan