SSA Convention reports?

Old February 19th 05, 07:09 PM
Stewart Kissel

These sound like wise choices...my two cents would
be to take a look at the sim community as well...

Data derived from last year's Online Glider Pilot Survey
nearly 1000 of
you participated in was used to determine which 'cross
over sport'
periodicals should get convention ads. They included
Latitude 38
(freebie west coast monthly sailing magazine given
out at all marine
supply stores, yacht clubs, etc), LA Sport and Fitness
(freebie at all
health clubs, foot and bicycle races, etc), Model Aviation
(Academy of
Model Aeronautics national journal), Pacific Flyer/Aviation
Business
journal (power flying), and California Diving magazine
(scuba). The
survey indicated glider pilots were frequently also
involved in these
sports.

Old February 19th 05, 07:23 PM
Albert Gold

Excellent report deleted to save bandwidth

Jim,

I said it to you on the floor of the exhibition hall, but I want to say
it again. This convention was incomparably better than any of its
predecessors, and the credit for that all belongs to you. The society
and community are deeply in your debt.

Thank you once more,

Al

Old February 19th 05, 07:35 PM
Jim Skydell

Stewart Kissel wrote:

These sound like wise choices...my two cents would
be to take a look at the sim community as well...

Thanks Stewart. I forgot to mention that we sent pdf versions of a
convention poster Doug Easton created via email to over 200 AMA (model
airplane) chapter clubs, and to every hang glider club in 4 states.

I also posted notes on newsgroups for modeling and hang gliding. I was
roundly chastised by people on the modeling groups for doing so, but we
know how some folks sometimes are on these groups...

The Sim community suggestion is great. I am passing that on to next
year's coordinator. Thanks.

Jim

Old February 19th 05, 07:48 PM
Jim Skydell

Albert Gold wrote:

Excellent report deleted to save bandwidth

Jim,

I said it to you on the floor of the exhibition hall, but I want to say
it again. This convention was incomparably better than any of its
predecessors, and the credit for that all belongs to you. The society
and community are deeply in your debt.

Thank you once more,

Al

Thanks Al. It really was a pleasure doing it, but credit also should go
to Doug Easton (anything and everything that needing doing), Dave Raspet
(volunteer coordinator), Keith Schrader (exhibit hall), Mike Koerner
(Registration), Paul Love (Marketing), Cindy Brickner (Logistics), and
Doug Turner (RESCO booth). They all worked for over a year on this
show. And as I wrote in the Convention program, there is just no way to
adequately thank all of our folks in Hobbs.

We all hope to see a membership bump.
Jim
Old February 21st 05, 05:54 AM
Mike I Green

Stewart Kissel wrote:
Anyone care to share with us non-attendees the highlights?

I can report on the caring of yours truly by several of the organizers.
I happened to mis-step a curb Friday about 5:15 PM. Rohn Brown
from Tuscon helped me get back to my motel room. Cindy Brickner & Doug
Easton took time out of their busy schedule to drive me to the local
Kaiser Emergency entrance, where I spent the night. The Saturday they
arranged for Dave Raspet to bring from Kaiser back to the DoubleTree ( I
had called a Taxi service but they said it would be a minimum of 1.5
hour wait). On Monday my local Kaiser operated to repair a ruptured
Tendon (super pattela) on my right knee. I got 6 to 8 weeks in an
immobilizer, no driving or flying. Now - No brain no pain.

Thanks to all of you,
Mighty Gorilla (AKA: MG, Mike Green)
Old February 23rd 05, 02:51 PM
F.L. Whiteley

"Duncan McC" wrote in message
. nz...
In article ,
says...
I was surprised to not see two of the bigger vendors/suppliers
in attendance. Neither Wings and Wheels or Knauff And
Grove were there.

um... anyone know what's happenned to the Knauff & Grove website? - it
doesn't seem to be at the site I have in my Bookmarks anymore.

--
Duncan

www.eglider.org is working fine, must have been some time or a temporarily
anomaly

Old February 23rd 05, 09:45 PM
Duncan McC

In article ,
says...

"Duncan McC" wrote in message
. nz...
In article ,
says...
I was surprised to not see two of the bigger vendors/suppliers
in attendance. Neither Wings and Wheels or Knauff And
Grove were there.

um... anyone know what's happenned to the Knauff & Grove website? - it
doesn't seem to be at the site I have in my Bookmarks anymore.

--
Duncan

www.eglider.org is working fine, must have been some time or a temporarily
anomaly

Thanks - I found I had a subpage bookmarked (gliderport3.htm) - all
sorted now.

--
Duncan