Airplane prices are ridiculous

Old September 11th 10, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Default Airplane prices are ridiculous

Mark wrote:
Ok, so where it that light-sport, low-wing, cross
country plane produced after 1990 for 25K? I'll
take two.

http://www.sonexaircraft.com/
Old September 11th 10, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

On Sep 11, 3:06*pm, Jim Logajan wrote:
Mark wrote:
Ok, so where it that light-sport, low-wing, cross
country plane produced after 1990 for 25K? *I'll
take two.

http://www.sonexaircraft.com/

Heh, you name the one low wing LS that I
don't really like, but even so, a nice Sonex
will cost you more like 45K or more.

---
Mark
Old September 12th 10, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Mark wrote:
Ok, so where it that light-sport, low-wing, cross
country plane produced after 1990 for 25K? I'll
take two.

$20k ready-to-fly ultralight or light-sport low-wing:
http://www.interplaneaircraft.com/zjviera.htm
Old September 12th 10, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mark wrote:
On Sep 11, 1:13Â*pm, wrote:

bull**** snipped

--
Jim Pennino

You've proven beyond the shadow of
a doubt here that you will argue for the sake of
arguement, even switching sides on issues in
the same thread. Your data is skewed.

You give no respect, you deserve none.

---
Mark

And it appears to me either your reading comprehension skills are nil or
you are a troll.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old September 12th 10, 10:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

On Sep 11, 7:28*pm, Jim Logajan wrote:
Mark wrote:
Ok, so where it that light-sport, low-wing, cross
country plane produced after 1990 for 25K? *I'll
take two.

$20k ready-to-fly ultralight or light-sport low-wing:http://www.interplaneaircraft.com/zjviera.htm

These type of planes don't seem suitable for
going cross-country to me, and although it's
possible to do so in one you could probably
get there just as fast in your truck.

Still, they look like a load of fun, but I was looking'
to circumvent commercial flying.

---
Mark
Old September 12th 10, 11:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

On Sep 11, 7:29*pm, wrote:
Mark wrote:
On Sep 11, 1:13*pm, wrote:

bull**** snipped

--
Jim Pennino

You've proven beyond the shadow of
a doubt here that you will argue for the sake of
arguement, even switching sides on issues in
the same thread. Your data is skewed.

You give no respect, you deserve none.

---
Mark

And it appears to me either your reading comprehension skills are nil or
you are a troll.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.- Hide quoted text -

No sir. We have explored a topic, and I believe
the peripheral factors have been brought to light.
Other than that there seems to be a difference of
opinion on...well...anything I say.

Also you have an insulting air, but maybe that's
just an italian thing.

Best wishes, Mark
Old September 12th 10, 01:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

On Sep 11, 3:06*pm, Jim Logajan wrote:
Mark wrote:
So you're saying tort reform would entice companies like
Arion aircraft *and Piper sport to stop asking 135,000.00?

Um, the Arion Lightning is available for just under US$94k.[1]
It can be flown at 138 mph to any airfield in the U.S.

A 2010 Aston Martin Rapide has a list price of US$200k.
A 2010 Dodge Viper has a list price of US$91k.

The fastest either of those two sports cars can be driven on highways in
the U.S. is 80 mph.[3]

A Sonex aircraft (low wing, two person, metal construction) could be
built for under US$40k and be flown at 170 mph to any airfield in the
U.S.

A 2010 Porsche Boxster has a list price of US$48k and is limited to 80
mph (and typically less) on U.S. roads.

The limiting factor of airplanes is that they only take you from one
airfield to another. Ground transportation is needed at both ends. This
is, in my view, the aspect that limits the utility of airplanes.

[1]http://www.flylightning.net/images/pdf/2009%20Price%20Sheet%20Light%2....
[2]http://www.automotive.com/new-cars/pricing/27/sports/index.html
[3]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_in_the_United_States
[4]http://www.sonexaircraft.com/aircraft/sonex.html
[5]http://www.sonexaircraft.com/kits/pricing.html

I'm not sure why you've listed expensive autos
here. Look at the KIA sorento. For 20K you can
get this vehicle which looks very nice inside and
out. (yes, I know...autos, mass production, etc)
http://www.bing.com/autos/search?yea...re nto+prices

Or more for my tastes, the Ford F-250 Super Duty
often lists (decked out) near 60K, but you can pick
them up all day long (used) for 22K.

What "grinds my gears" is the fact that planes used
to be accessable to middle class America and now
even the most rudimentary planes (usually a pre-owned
home built) cost double what a very nice auto does.

If the reasons are research and development,
certification, liability, and interest to investors,
well this wasn't a big problem during the 70's
and '80's. Planes were 5 times cheaper.

In other news:

You can have a rental car waiting for you in my area
for a little over 20 bucks. That's negligible if you don't
do it every day.

However I just bought one of these, and I love it:
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/story/fx/

---
Mark

Old September 12th 10, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mark wrote:
On Sep 11, 7:28Â*pm, Jim Logajan wrote:
Mark wrote:
Ok, so where it that light-sport, low-wing, cross
country plane produced after 1990 for 25K? Â*I'll
take two.

$20k ready-to-fly ultralight or light-sport low-wing:http://www.interplaneaircraft.com/zjviera.htm

These type of planes don't seem suitable for
going cross-country to me, and although it's
possible to do so in one you could probably
get there just as fast in your truck.

Yeah, right.

http://www.aopa.org/aircraft/article...0907combs.html

So far this guy has gone 20,000 nm in a LSA.

Still, they look like a load of fun, but I was looking'
to circumvent commercial flying.

Then you need something like a Citation, which is a bit more than your $20k
budget.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old September 12th 10, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mark wrote:
On Sep 11, 3:06Â*pm, Jim Logajan wrote:
Mark wrote:
So you're saying tort reform would entice companies like
Arion aircraft Â*and Piper sport to stop asking 135,000.00?

[...]

Because a "nice" used airplane has historically cost about the same as a
high end car, as I have already said.

Or more for my tastes, the Ford F-250 Super Duty
often lists (decked out) near 60K, but you can pick
them up all day long (used) for 22K.

What "grinds my gears" is the fact that planes used
to be accessable to middle class America and now
even the most rudimentary planes (usually a pre-owned
home built) cost double what a very nice auto does.

Nope, costs the same as a very nice auto.

You can get C172N's and Warriors for about $35k.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old September 12th 10, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

Mark wrote:
Ok, so where it that light-sport, low-wing, cross
country plane produced after 1990 for 25K? *I'll
take two.

$20k ready-to-fly ultralight or light-sport low-wing:http://www.interplaneaircraft.com/zjviera.htm

These type of planes don't seem suitable for
going cross-country to me, and although it's
possible to do so in one you could probably
get there just as fast in your truck.

Yeah, right.

http://www.aopa.org/aircraft/article...0907combs.html

So far this guy has gone 20,000 nm in a LSA.

Yeah and the article doesn't tell how long it took him
to do it either, does it? No thanks.

Still, they look like a load of fun, but I was looking'
to circumvent commercial flying.

Then you need something like a Citation, which is a bit more than your $20k
budget.

I've not revealed my budget nor my plans, but if you
want to know, I will probably buy a used Piper Sport
or Arion Lightning within 24 months, have to pay at
least 80K, and gripe about it.

Up to this point I've merely been discussing the general
state of affairs from an everyman point of view for
purposes of discussion and enlightenment.

---
Mark

AV gas prices Stuart & Kathryn Fields Home Built 54 June 5th 08 03:58 PM
AV gas prices [email protected] Home Built 0 May 7th 08 05:41 AM
AV gas prices BradGuth Home Built 0 May 6th 08 02:29 AM
Ford Tri-Motor ground handling in FS2004 is ridiculous. Bass Simulators 3 December 19th 04 08:37 PM
soaring high w/ ridiculous knowledge The Admiral Soaring 0 December 3rd 04 07:34 PM