Lexan

Old March 26th 07, 10:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
erik

Default Lexan

Listers, I need help, please.

About three weeks ago I had to push an airframe that I was working
on, out into the open for space requirements. The windshield was
intalled on this airframe, but still covered in the protective plastic
"masking" to prevent scratching.

Now, after three weeks in the sun, the masking has deteriorated so
much that I can't get it off the lexan. It has perished into milions
of 1/4 mm square pieces that seems bonded to the lexan.

I have unsuccessfully tried: hot water and soap, turpentine,
meths,spit, scratching with my fingernails (works to an extend, but
leaves tiny scratches on the lexan surface. Can these be polished
out?), thinners (ginormous mistake).

I have not tried acetone (I forsee another ginormous mistake), or fire
(match in the fuel tank). Or Handy-Andy, an ammonium-based deterdent.

Any suggestions will be tried. This is driving me off my rocker.

Thanks and goodbye,

Erik Snyman

Old March 26th 07, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"erik" wrote

Now, after three weeks in the sun, the masking has deteriorated so
much that I can't get it off the lexan. It has perished into milions
of 1/4 mm square pieces that seems bonded to the lexan.

I have unsuccessfully tried: hot water and soap, turpentine,
meths,spit, scratching with my fingernails (works to an extend, but
leaves tiny scratches on the lexan surface. Can these be polished
out?), thinners (ginormous mistake).

Lighter fluid (naphtha) should be safe, but try it on a little corner,
first.

Get someone to hold the Lexan with a THICK pair of gloves, and hit it with
a pressure washer. Or else, YOU hold it with the gloves, and let THEM hit
it with a pressure washer. A coin self serve carwash should work, if that
is all you have available.

This method WILL work, with no damage, (except to your hand) if you can deal
with the pain.g
--
Jim in NC

Old March 26th 07, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ed Sullivan

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 18:17:19 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

"erik" wrote

[...]

Under no circustances would I let any petroeum based solvent touch it.
Gasoline will cause it to craze immediately.
Old March 26th 07, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Ed Sullivan" wrote

Under no circustances would I let any petroeum based solvent touch it.
Gasoline will cause it to craze immediately.

I understand your caution, and share it. Naphtha is weird stuff, though.
Have you ever tried it on Lexan?
--
Jim in NC

Old March 26th 07, 11:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rich S.[_1_]

"erik" wrote in message
ups.com...
Any suggestions will be tried. This is driving me off my rocker.

Goof off? http://www.amazon.com/Goof-Off-Ultim.../dp/B00030419I

I used this to remove adhesive wing-walk and it really worked well.

Rich S.

Old March 27th 07, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
denny

On Mar 26, 5:56�pm, "erik" wrote:
[...]

Go to www.charliesoap.com and order a gallon of Charlie's Soap. I
have used it several times to clean plexiglass in the same condition.
You won't need anywhere near a whole gallon, but you will find so many
other uses for it, you will want more than a quart. It cleans
everything from false teeth to diesel engines, according to the
label. I haven't used it on false teeth, but it cleans everthing else
I've tried it on.

Denny

Old March 27th 07, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
COLIN LAMB

I think it was "Goof Off" that I used on Lexan and it did craze the
material. Get a spare piece and try it out first. Crazing a canopy or
windshield youself is something that grown men cry about.

After I crazed the material, I got a 3 part plastic refinishing system from
Sears and eventually polished it all up.

I have small sheets of old acylic with the brown paper still on after about
15 years. So, it does not want to come off. In my case, I put in in the
sink with warm water and detergent and it eventually comes off. So, I
suspect the soap suggested by Denny is probably the best solution.

Naptha may also work. As I recall, the ingredients are not published, but
it may not be petroleum based. It is a great cleaner for camera shutters.

Colin

Old March 27th 07, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Mar 26, 5:41 pm, "COLIN LAMB" wrote:

Naptha may also work. As I recall, the ingredients are not published, but
it may not be petroleum based. It is a great cleaner for camera shutters.

Colin

I Googled Naptha and came up with "it's essentially gasoline
without any additives." That fits; when I was a young punk pumping gas
at a service station, we had a big tank of Naptha out back that we
sold in bulk to anyone wanting "white gas." Was used in Coleman
camping stoves, lanterns, and the like. No lead to clog things up.
I wouldn't use it on Lexan.

Dan

Old March 27th 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Richard Riley" wrote

Erik, if you happen to be in the Los Angeles area, I own a coin self
service car wash here and will happily crank up the pressure for you.
(I'm running 800 PSI standard)

That ought to be enough to take the stink off of sh*t! g

Really, that would be my best choice to take off the wrapper. A few years
back, I put in a new garage door, and it had a clear layer of plastic on it.
I didn't realize it had anything on it until about 6 months later, when it
started to peel off. I then tried to take it off, and got really
frustrated. Lots of work for almost no progress; lots of little pieces
instead of a few big pieces.

I got a pressure washer after it, and it went quite fast, after that.
--
Jim in NC

Old March 27th 07, 04:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Webb

There is a product designed specifically for this purpose. It is called
DSR-5. It is a clear liquid, and it comes in pint spray bottles. It works.

I have a kit plane that sat outside in Florida for several years after the
original builder gave up on it. The lexan coating was rock hard and totally
impossible to get off. A few squirts of this stuff and it was coming off in
foot square sheets.

http://www.dsr5.com/

Lexan Bend Radius J.Kahn Home Built 10 December 7th 06 04:09 PM
Small window in Lexan DavidH Home Built 3 December 16th 05 10:43 AM
Cutting Lexan? Scott Home Built 15 February 19th 04 12:51 AM