How to Carve Your Own Propeller

Old December 4th 08, 12:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default How to Carve Your Own Propeller

0345 Thursday, 4 Dec 2008

Good Morning to All.

Back in 1925 there was a young engineer working for the National
Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (NACA) named Fred Weick. Fred
published a Technical Note (TN) that explained how to lay-out the
dimensions for a wooden propeller suitable for light airplanes. The
Technical Note went into NACA's archives as #215 ( ie, TN-215 ).

I've uploaded TN-215 into the FILES archive of the chuggers Group as
a .pdf file. I would like all of you who have been following the
Chugger Project to go to the Group, go to the FILES archive, open
FOLDER P and download it's contents. Right now it contains only
TN-215 and a file previously posted here ( ie, on R.A.H. ).

Then I would like you to print-out the two files and READ them :-)
(Stop groaning, there's only a couple of pages of text.)

I will be posting some photos depicting prop carving to the same
archive... that is, to the P archive, as the work progresses. Right
now, I'd like you to read the files and ask any questions you may
have, either publicly here ( which is probably best ) or privately to
me. The immediate goal is for you to understand why Mr. Weick's
report is valid for an entire range of light airplane propellers.
Once you understand that, we will carve a practice propeller out of
pine. Carving a practice prop will teach you the required skills &
tools needed to carve a real propeller.

-R.S.Hoover

New propeller Stefan[_2_] Soaring 1 April 1st 08 01:43 PM
MT Propeller - MTV-9-B-C/C-190-18a AZ High-G Piloting 0 December 20th 04 12:36 AM
FS: MT Propeller - MTV-9-B-C/C-190-18a AZ High-G Owning 0 December 20th 04 12:36 AM
FS: MT Propeller - MTV-9-B-C/C-190-18a AZ High-G Owning 0 December 20th 04 12:35 AM
Propeller Jan Carlsson Home Built 11 July 12th 03 10:36 PM