How accurate was B-26 bombing?

Old March 1st 04, 04:28 AM
Kevin Brooks

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
Subject: How accurate was B-26 bombing?
From: "Kevin Brooks"
Date: 2/29/04 3:31 PM Pacific Standard Time

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
From:
(BUFDRVR)
Date: 2/29/04 2:13 PM Pacific Standard Time

Can we see some of your strike photos?

Sure old man.

To be fair, these two are actually the result of two 2-ships, but my
formation
hit it first.

Befo
http://www.fas.org/irp/imint/990526-O-9999M-003.jpg

After:
http://www.fas.org/irp/imint/990526-O-9999M-004.jpg

This mission was very interesting...to say the least:
http://www.fas.org/irp/imint/b990514i.jpg

The rest of my strikes to make "news" were JDAM strikes. The one thing

you
will
notice is that mil dispersion pretty much ensures a few of your

weapons
are
going to miss by a good distance, despite what you say. If you look at

the
Batajanica images, we threw a few M-117s out "in the weeds". We had
anticiapated this because some of the weapons were in pretty bad

shape.
Unlike
you, we realized that sending a loader back to get us some new weapons

would
have interfered with the "hustle & bustle" of flightline ops, so we

pressed
on.

The runway was shutdown for the remainder of the conflict, although

Eagle
pilots flying around probably aided in shutting down flight ops there

as
much
as our weapons did.

Were you trying to make a point with your question?

BUFDRVR

YTHe point I was triyng to make was that we flew misison swith dumb

bimbs
that
were sometimes as accurate as mision flown today with smart bombs.

LOL! Nope. Accuracy is usually guaged by CEP. Getting a single bomb, or

two
or three, to hit the given aim point, while a laudable event, does not

mean
that your strike was inherently accurate--because the other 200 bombs

ended
up spread over a quarter section. Your CEP during WWII was abysmal

compared
to that which was evidenced during Vietnam (with dumb bombs). Modern dumb

For a guy who spent his entire military career behind a desk in Ohio, you

sure
have a good line of bull****.

Firstly, I told you before, the only military duty I ever performed in Ohio
was serving as OIC of the funeral detail for some Ranger who wrapped his car
around a telephone pole outside FT Benning. No desk sitting was required, as
I was TDY from my post. Secondly, it is interesting that once again you
can't bring yourself to address the points raised-- especially from that
other B-26 bombadier who rather adroitly trashed your "we never missed" BS
(we see you are still having severe problems with that whole concept of
"truthfulness"). Thirdly, you plonked me earlier today (for about the third
time)...you forgot already?

Brooks

Arthur Kramer

Old March 1st 04, 11:10 AM
BUFDRVR

I am sure everything you say is true. But I stand by the strike photos on my

website which as you can see a lot of "shacks" were scored under difficult
coimbat conditions. The photos don't lie

How many B-26 dropped on the bridge? I've already said that *some* aircraft
will be able to get "shacks", but depending on your CEP, that percentage should
be no more than 20-25% (maybe less if your CEP is large enough). So...if you
fly a 100 aircraft raid up to as many as 25 aircraft (CEP depending) will shack
the target. *However*, another 25% will exceed your CEP by a magnitude of 2 for
every shack. Bottom line: You can't see CEP in one or even a dozen BDA photos.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old March 1st 04, 06:10 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Bob McKellar" wrote in message

However, Cleland did receive the Silver Star for an earlier
action. He was an active combat experienced soldier.

Bull****, Cleland got the silver star for being fragged, or dropped the
grenade himself.

Old March 1st 04, 11:41 PM
Peter Kemp

On 29 Feb 2004 22:13:51 GMT, (BUFDRVR) wrote:

[...]

BUFDRVR,

First of all, nice shooting (dropping?lobbing?) either way. Bloody
good BDA. A quick question though....

Are the M-117s still being manufactured, or is it *still* a case of
running down old stock?

If they are still being produced, why? Do they have a noticably better
CEP over a Mk.82/83, or are they significantly cheaper?

Thanks,

---
Peter Kemp

Life is short - drink faster
Old March 2nd 04, 12:10 AM
Jake McGuire

(BUFDRVR) wrote in message ...

To be fair, these two are actually the result of two 2-ships, but my formation
hit it first.

Befo
http://www.fas.org/irp/imint/990526-O-9999M-003.jpg

After:
http://www.fas.org/irp/imint/990526-O-9999M-004.jpg

Think you used enough dynamite there, Butch?

Wow.

-jake