Reno SSA

Old January 8th 14, 06:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy Clark, \B6\

Default Reno SSA

If you are coming to the SSA Reno Convention, do not, I repeat, DO NOT, miss the opportunity to enjoy a Basque meal.
I was introduced to Basque cuisine while a GMO at Mtn. Home AFB, Idaho in the early 1970s.
My favorite in Reno is The Santa Fe Hotel - the are others.
For those who want some additional information, including a recommendation if you go for that Diamond Altitude flight at Minden (near Gardnerville), go to:
http://www.nabasque.org/Astero/meat_and_greet.htm
Old January 8th 14, 02:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

On Tuesday, January 7, 2014 10:15:15 PM UTC-8, Roy Clark, "B6" wrote:
If you are coming to the SSA Reno Convention, do not, I repeat, DO NOT, miss the opportunity to enjoy a Basque meal.

I was introduced to Basque cuisine while a GMO at Mtn. Home AFB, Idaho in the early 1970s.

My favorite in Reno is The Santa Fe Hotel - the are others.

For those who want some additional information, including a recommendation if you go for that Diamond Altitude flight at Minden (near Gardnerville), go to:

http://www.nabasque.org/Astero/meat_and_greet.htm

Hey Bravo-Six, Juliette-Juliette was at Mt. Home from 71 to 74. I was a right seater in the 389th TFS
Cheers,
JJ
Old January 11th 14, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy Clark, \B6\

JJ - was at Mtn Home 09/70-09/72. Would have been more fun except we provided medical care for so many MIA/POW families.
Was, however, great to be able to be in the Sawtooths less than an hour from Base.
Learned to downhill ski at Bogus Basin where I remember one sunny Spring afternoon when someone in a yellow K6 kept soaring down over the main run, climbing back up, and doing it over and over again.
25+ years later, I was shaking off the Pacific NW dark and rainies at Minden. Was able to do the same over Heavenly Valley. Could climb back up in a thermal kicked off from the pond near East Peak Lodge. Nest day, talked to a guy in the rental return line at Reno airport. I asked how the skiing had been. Great, but all afternoon, he was watching this glider - seemed to be having more fun. I asked if the glider had red paint on its nose. He exclaimed "So, you saw it too?" Nah, I replied, that was me in the glider and it was fun!
P.S., safety patrol alert gliders on both occasions were flown with appropriate clearance.
How about a Thursday dinner at The Santa Fe Hotel - on me, buddy, for your service to our country and soaring.
Old January 12th 14, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Boise Pilot

Roy, I am going to bet that the ship you saw over Bogus Basin was piloted by Roger Frank an old friend of JJ's - JJ I am trying to be funny here.
One Idaho

Old January 12th 14, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

On Saturday, January 11, 2014 1:09:32 PM UTC-8, Roy Clark, "B6" wrote:
[...]

Well, that took me back 40 years. I retired in '74 and was hard to find most afternoons because I was building a Duster Sailplane I Capart housing. At one time the assembled wing went from the garage, through the kitchen and down the hall................had to do this to get the temperature high enough to cure epoxy as the top skins went on.
Thanks for the invite, hope I can make the convention. I am in the process of having cataracts removed, then a little tuck to get my lower eye lids to stop drooping and letting the tears run out. Turning 80 this year.........this getting old is a bitch!
Cheers,
JJ

Reno John Sullivan Soaring 0 December 23rd 11 04:42 PM
Reno crash story in Reno Gazette-Journal Rich S.[_1_] Home Built 3 September 14th 07 10:27 PM
Reno Pix Are Up! Jay Honeck Piloting 23 September 26th 04 02:04 PM
Reno Pix Are Up...again.... Jay Honeck Piloting 7 September 24th 04 02:30 AM
Off to Reno! Jay Honeck Piloting 2 September 14th 04 06:00 PM