PA-28 Glareshield Replacement

Old January 9th 08, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Marco Leon[_4_]

Default PA-28 Glareshield Replacement

What are the options out there for replacing the glareshield fabric on Piper
Cherokees? Specifically, I have a 1978 Warrior that has some badly-faded
fabric though the tears seem to be minimal. I know I'll need to have the A&P
remove the windshield but the weatherproofing seems to be coming out of the
edges so I may need it out regardless.

Is there an STC for some new material? It seems a thin carpet-like material
would look nice but I'm not sure of the fire-resistancy and compliance.

Marco

Old January 9th 08, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Marco Leon wrote:
What are the options out there for replacing the glareshield fabric on Piper
Cherokees? Specifically, I have a 1978 Warrior that has some badly-faded
fabric though the tears seem to be minimal. I know I'll need to have the A&P
remove the windshield but the weatherproofing seems to be coming out of the
edges so I may need it out regardless.

Is there an STC for some new material? It seems a thin carpet-like material
would look nice but I'm not sure of the fire-resistancy and compliance.

Not sure what your budget is, but Dick Russ at Aircraft Door Seals sells a
full replacement glareshield that includes the eyebrow. I've seen it
installed on a couple of PA28s and it looks great. You can see it at :

http://www.aircraftdoorseals.com/pro...roducts_id=123

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old January 9th 08, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
John Kunkel

"Marco Leon" wrote in message
What are the options out there for replacing the glareshield fabric on
Piper Cherokees? Specifically, I have a 1978 Warrior that has some
badly-faded fabric though the tears seem to be minimal. I know I'll need
to have the A&P remove the windshield but the weatherproofing seems to be
coming out of the edges so I may need it out regardless.

Is there an STC for some new material? It seems a thin carpet-like
material would look nice but I'm not sure of the fire-resistancy and
compliance.

Make a thin cardboard pattern of the glareshield cover and take it to one of
those places that make dashboard covers for cars, be sure to make the
cutouts for the windscreen defrost vents and the compass if applicable.
There are spray-on fabric fire retardants available.

If legality becomes an issue at annual time simply remove the cover.

Also, the existing fabric color can be rejuvenated with liquid shoe polish.

Old January 9th 08, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Paul kgyy

Dennis Ashby makes a good solid fiberglass glareshield. It has enough
of an eyebrow to grab when adjusting the seat, and you can mount panel
lights underneath as well.

Dick Russ' (aircraftdoorseals) looks a lot more classy, though.
Old January 9th 08, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Marco Leon[_4_]

"JGalban via AviationKB.com" u32749@uwe wrote in message
Not sure what your budget is, but Dick Russ at Aircraft Door Seals sells
full replacement glareshield that includes the eyebrow. I've seen it
installed on a couple of PA28s and it looks great. You can see it at :

http://www.aircraftdoorseals.com/pro...roducts_id=123

Oooh, that's purty! $250 is actually not that bad considering it's going
into an aircraft.

Thanks John, haven't seen that yet!

Marco

Old January 11th 08, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
texas slacker

http://www.aircraftdoorseals.com/pro...=21_24&product...

Oooh, that's purty! $250 is actually not that bad considering it's going
into an aircraft.

Thanks John, haven't seen that yet!

Marco

I just had my 76 warrior glareshield re-covered for $100 at an
upholstry shop. I also have a glareshield loose cover that eleminates
the reflection, like those available for a car. I don't remember
where I got it but they are out there. I don't think you have to
remove the windshield to remove the glare shield. I think you can
pull the plastic cover from the panel and the support bracket arms
unscrew from the metal panel and the whole eyebrow comes out Don't
slit your wrists, this is not that big a deal. Leo
Old January 11th 08, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Marco Leon[_4_]

"texas slacker" wrote in message
I just had my 76 warrior glareshield re-covered for $100 at an
upholstry shop. I also have a glareshield loose cover that eleminates
the reflection, like those available for a car. I don't remember
where I got it but they are out there. I don't think you have to
remove the windshield to remove the glare shield. I think you can
pull the plastic cover from the panel and the support bracket arms
unscrew from the metal panel and the whole eyebrow comes out Don't
slit your wrists, this is not that big a deal. Leo

Leo, how did you get it to follow the bumps on the glareshield? In my
airplane, I have a little rectangular "island" under the center post that's
raised a half-inch. My eyebrow is fine and still looks new so I'm really
just looking for to recover the area from the brow to the windshield base.

Thanks,

Marco

Old January 11th 08, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
texas slacker

On Jan 11, 9:17 am, "Marco Leon" wrote:
[...]

Marco: I don't know, mine does not have that bump. A good upholstry
shop is going to know a lot more than I do. Leo
Old January 11th 08, 08:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Marco Leon[_4_]

"texas slacker" wrote in message
Marco: I don't know, mine does not have that bump. A good upholstry
shop is going to know a lot more than I do. Leo

OK, I'll look into that route--thanks!