Lycoming O-290-D options

Old March 9th 04, 06:47 PM
Gene Z. Ragan

Default Lycoming O-290-D options

Hi,

I am in the process of restoring a Pazmany PL-1. It has an O-290-D
with about 1800 hours on it.
The original logs go back to 1951 and the engine has never been
overhauled. At some point in the
60s some top end work was done but the exact nature is not listed.
The engine technically has 200 hours left before TBO but one cylinder
is at 60 compression and the thought of flying it as is scares me.

Parts seems to be scarce for this engine, but they can be found. I
could embark on an adventure and get guidance from an A&P and attempt
a rebuild. I could find someone to do a rebuild or I could sell
the runout engine and put a O-320 in, which seems to have a stable
parts supply.

Could I get some advice from the group?

Thanks!

Gene
Old March 9th 04, 08:38 PM
RU ok

I am in the process of restoring a Pazmany PL-1. It has an O-290-D
with about 1800 hours on it.
The original logs go back to 1951 and the engine has never been
overhauled. At some point in the
60s some top end work was done but the exact nature is not listed.
The engine technically has 200 hours left before TBO but one cylinder
is at 60 compression and the thought of flying it as is scares me.

Parts seems to be scarce for this engine, but they can be found. I
could embark on an adventure and get guidance from an A&P and attempt
a rebuild. I could find someone to do a rebuild or I could sell
the runout engine and put a O-320 in, which seems to have a stable
parts supply.

Could I get some advice from the group?

Thanks!

Gene

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Parts are available, but pricey.
Weight is close to an 0-320.

Depending on your circumstances, you might find an
0-320 to be a cheaper and more powerful replacement.

Barnyard BOb -

Remove oil seal from vacuum pump adapter on Lycoming IO320 HOW????? Ron Home Built 2 February 24th 04 05:34 PM
Lycoming Sued jls Home Built 0 February 13th 04 03:01 PM
Weight of Lycoming O290 Ray Toews Home Built 1 December 22nd 03 12:56 AM
Lycoming 320 and EAA Light Sport Aircraft ? Dave Jackson Home Built 29 October 20th 03 01:20 AM
lycoming gaskets & parts Paul Home Built 2 October 17th 03 03:49 PM