530 Taws cost

Old December 8th 04, 06:24 PM
Dude

Default 530 Taws cost

Does anyone else think the cost of a 530 with TAWS, or the $8,000 to add it,
is anywhere near reasonable? Perhaps someone could tell us what incredible
amount of programming, testing, processor improvement, or whatever this
takes.

I am thinking that this simply reflects more of Garmin getting too proud of
their success and their market domination. While I like the G1000 better
than the present Avidyne and Chelton solutions, I am now hoping avidyne "one
ups" them in the next round.

Garmin has been making plenty of mistakes lately, and they should start
trying harder again.

Old December 8th 04, 07:17 PM
Dude

The only functionally similar solution I am aware of is the anywhere map
system and other hand helds. Who else does the simple red and yellow style
solution? Does it do something I am not aware of?

I realize the differences in certification and other costs associated with
handhelds, but we are talking about adding the price of an entire 430 just
to add one feature.

nk.net...

Old December 8th 04, 07:27 PM
Dude

The only functionally similar solution I am aware of is the anywhere map
system and other hand helds. Who else does the simple red and yellow
style solution? Does it do something I am not aware of?

I realize the differences in certification and other costs associated with
handhelds, but we are talking about adding the price of an entire 430 just
to add one feature.

PS Is this just a matter of profiting off the TAWS requirement for 135
operators?

I suppose they would also try to sell aspirin to heart patients for $500 a
year because its cheaper than an operation?

Old December 8th 04, 09:04 PM
Mike Rapoport

None of the solutions you are talking about are TAWS or really even close to
TAWS. Garmin's 430/530 terrain feature that resembles the handheld
functionality you are talking about is $500.

Mike
MU-2

Old December 8th 04, 09:07 PM
Dude

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
nk.net...
None of the solutions you are talking about are TAWS or really even close
to TAWS. Garmin's 430/530 terrain feature that resembles the handheld
functionality you are talking about is $500.

Suddenly I feel like Gilda Radner.

"Oh, nevremind"

SO what DO you get other than yellow and red. That seems to be what they
are calling TAWS in the G1000.

Old December 8th 04, 09:25 PM
Mike Rapoport

"Dude" wrote in message

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
nk.net...
None of the solutions you are talking about are TAWS or really even close
to TAWS. Garmin's 430/530 terrain feature that resembles the handheld
functionality you are talking about is $500.

Suddenly I feel like Gilda Radner.

"Oh, nevremind"

SO what DO you get other than yellow and red. That seems to be what they
are calling TAWS in the G1000.

TAWS incorporates ground closure rate and look-ahead. It gives audio
commands ("pull-up, pull-up"). Also since the product has been shown for
well over a year and was supposed to be available a year ago, we can assume
that it has been a PITA to certify. The competing TAWS products are
Honeywell's EGPWS and Sandal's TAWS both of which cost much more (more than
2X) than Garmin's solution and also require expensive installation. TAWS
is only required on turbine aircraft certified with six or more passenger
seats and I doubt that it will sell well in the piston market since the $500
"yellow and black" solution will be availible there. I sent my 530 out
yesterday for the TAWS installation and the beauty of it is that no complex
installation is required saving many thousands.

The "yellow and black only" terrain only requires a terrain database
installed in the second data card slot.

Mike
MU-2

Old December 11th 04, 06:52 PM
C Kingsbury

"Dude" wrote in message

I am thinking that this simply reflects more of Garmin getting too proud

of
their success and their market domination. While I like the G1000 better
than the present Avidyne and Chelton solutions, I am now hoping avidyne

"one
ups" them in the next round.

Garmin has been making plenty of mistakes lately, and they should start
trying harder again.

Much as I hate to say it, Garmin looks pretty far ahead of the alternatives
right now. You said it yourself- the G1000 is better than the Avidyne
solution, which invariably includes a pair of GNS-430s anyway. I can
understand Cirrus sticking by Avidyne, but I'm surprised that Piper and
Lancair would choose it, given the options. Is the price differential that
great for a complete system?

Frankly I'd say everyone else is making a lot more mistakes than Garmin.
Avidyne's system requires them to purchase $15k of boxes from their only
competitor and King will soon be in the buggy-whip business unless they buy
out Avidyne or come up with a competing system. They still barely have a
good answer to the GNS-430, and that's been out for how many years?

I'll tell you what, Garmin is set to own the avionics business in the
sub-12,500lb segment. Their real advantage will be the volume they get in
the very light jet segment, where the G1000 likely beats the bag out of
Collins, etc. in terms of price. Pretty amazing when you think about the
same basic flight deck going into a 172 as a Mustang. Some "mistake."

-cwk.

Old December 11th 04, 08:59 PM
Dude

[...]

You are listing their successes and saying they are not making any mistakes.
That doesn't hold any water. The mistakes they make today could easily be
their downfall in the future, and the big one is pride.

They were late on the G1000 and have been late on almost everything else
recently, yet you would not know it from the way they act as a company.
Frankly, if you meet with them for very long, you will find they pretty much
all think their excrement doesn't smell bad. The attitude is that Garmin is
God's gift to GA. I have seen plenty of companies the size of Garmin get
smacked upside the head for having that attitude at this stage of the game.

I have heard plenty of complaints from their customers not being happy with
the level of support or even the attitude they get when they call. OTOH, I
do still hear positive comments about the same things. The problem is that
when you PO an owner, he may never give you the chance to P him O again.

Old Gar and Min better figure out a way to feed those kids humble pie this
christmas and get them back on the ball. Otherwise, a couple other guys who
no one ever heard of may "own" this business in ten or twelve years.

Just because Cessna has gotten away with aggravating everyone in the
business doesn't mean they can get away with it.