Technology is Incredible...

Old October 31st 06, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Technology is Incredible...

Happy Dog writes:

VFR is IFR in a clock tick.

If that were true, then there would be no distinction between the two
legally.

Obviously, in many cases VFR never becomes IFR.

All it takes is qualified people to post differently.

I look forward to it.

Old October 31st 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Greg B writes:

I've had a GPS in my plane the last 4 years. When I sold the plane, the
buyer didn't want my GPS so I took it out. He wanted me to fly the plane to
an airport that I hadn't been to before about 45 miles NE of here. I took
off without the GPS, headed NE and compared the chart to what I was seeing
on the ground. Found the airport without any problems. It would have been
nice to have access to a GPS but we can still fly without one.

Maybe you can fly without one, but is that true for all pilots?

Soundproofing a plane is possible but the added weight isn't worth it. A lot
easier/cheaper to install and use (ANR) headsets.

If you stop using props, most of the noise disappears.

There's planes that fly with only an airspeed indicator, compass, slip/skid
indicator, engine gauges, and an altimeter. They fly fine without all the
radios, GPS, transponder, electrical system, ANR, etc.

In certain places, at certain times.

Old October 31st 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

"Grumman-581" writes:

Too bad the commercial flights don't issue ANR headphones for the passengers
on some flights... Grace has been flying back and forth to Toronto lately in
a Embraer RJ145 and according to her, they're rather noisy... Noisy enough
that 31 dB earplugs are required in the passenger compartment... Noisy
enough that she had to cup her hands over her earphones so that she could
hear the music from her MP3 player...

Why is it so noisy?

Old October 31st 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jay Honeck writes:

Then, my boy, we have to NAVIGATE! Every pilot is taught how to do
this, even if we'd rather just push "Direct to" and GO.

How often do they practice, just in case?

Old October 31st 06, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Dylan Smith writes:

Turn on the backup handheld unit?

Are there handhelds certified for aviation use?

Old October 31st 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Dylan Smith writes:

He got to see how future predictions were almost entirely wrong all the
time, and technology improved in some directions out of all recognition
while hardly moving in others. In the 50s and 60s, they were all
predicting flying cars - but a mechanic transplanted from 1935 to today
would be pretty much totally at home with the airframe and power plant
of many of today's light GA aircraft. Yet all the futurologists totally
missed the cell phone - we already have better phones than Star Trek
forecast for their communicators.

The futurists are almost always wrong. They assume that the areas
with high rates of change or low rates of change will continue to have
high rates of change or low rates of change in the future. They
assume that what seems important now will remain important in the
future, and that things that are ignored now will continue to be
ignored in the future. This is rarely the case. Very often the
changes occur where they were least expected, and the domains that are
expected to change mightily end up barely moving at all.

Old October 31st 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

John Clear writes:

The funny thing was a few semesters later having a CS Professor
talk about how the Internet reached six of the seven continents,
and having to correct him.

The Internet connections to the poles are still quite iffy, if I
remember correctly. There aren't likely to be any fiber connections
any time soon, and satellites over the pole aren't always practical.

Old October 31st 06, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Recently, Mxsmanic posted:

Dylan Smith writes:

Turn on the backup handheld unit?

Are there handhelds certified for aviation use?

Many. Look at the Garmin website, for example.

Neil

Old October 31st 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
news
"Grumman-581" writes:

Too bad the commercial flights don't issue ANR headphones for the
passengers
on some flights... Grace has been flying back and forth to Toronto lately
in
a Embraer RJ145 and according to her, they're rather noisy... Noisy
enough
that 31 dB earplugs are required in the passenger compartment... Noisy
enough that she had to cup her hands over her earphones so that she could
hear the music from her MP3 player...

Why is it so noisy?

Have you ever even seen a real aircraft up close? Jets are loud.