Starduster Too...experiences?

Old May 4th 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Starduster Too...experiences?

My quest to find "the ideal" homebuilt bipe continues.

Has anyone got any build experiences with the Starduster Too? It looks
pretty, but is "pretty" another word for "very difficult"?

I have seen the AS&S web site - nice - so have to ask...do most people buy
kits in stages and build from that or what? Or do they just buy a sheet of
plans? (Can't believe that). It seems most folk in the UK buy ready made
from the States! Eek!

Anyone know what the 'hole' size is like on the Starduster? I'm well over 6
feet tall and 200lb

David

Old May 4th 06, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"david" wrote in message
My quest to find "the ideal" homebuilt bipe continues.

Has anyone got any build experiences with the Starduster Too? It looks
pretty, but is "pretty" another word for "very difficult"?

I have seen the AS&S web site - nice - so have to ask...do most people buy
kits in stages and build from that or what? Or do they just buy a sheet
of plans? (Can't believe that). It seems most folk in the UK buy ready
made from the States! Eek!

Anyone know what the 'hole' size is like on the Starduster? I'm well over
6 feet tall and 200lb

David

Hole size is about the only question I can answer. I too am tall. 6'2", and
205, and I fit very well in either seat. My friend has just finished his
Starduster II(with a continental radial), and I got to taxi it last weekend,
it hasn't flown yet. The only problem I had was taxiing from the front seat.
There is a cross member just above the landing gear, that runs about 5"
behind the rudder pedals. With my feet on the pedals, my heel jammed the
cross member, and locked the rudder in position. It could be a problem, so
he'll probably disconnect the forward pedals when carrying pax.

Al

Old May 5th 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Don't overlook the Steen Skybolt. Fantastic aircraft and nice size.

Rich S.

Old May 5th 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Rich S." wrote in
:

Don't overlook the Steen Skybolt. Fantastic aircraft and nice size.

Rich S.

Anyone know a good biplane that would do well with a 110HP Corvair???
(about 235lbs FWF)

--
-- ET :-)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams
Old May 5th 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"ET" wrote in message
"Rich S." wrote in
:

Don't overlook the Steen Skybolt. Fantastic aircraft and nice size.

Rich S.

Anyone know a good biplane that would do well with a 110HP Corvair???
(about 235lbs FWF)

I think I've seen a Hatz with a Corvair at OSH. It was good enough to get
there.
Tom

Old May 6th 06, 05:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

("ET" wrote)
Anyone know a good biplane that would do well with a 110HP Corvair???
(about 235lbs FWF)

When people use that term, does that mean the prop, too?

Montblack

Old May 8th 06, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Al wrote:
"david" wrote in message
Anyone know what the 'hole' size is like on the Starduster? I'm well over
6 feet tall and 200lb

David

Hole size is about the only question I can answer. I too am tall. 6'2", and
205, and I fit very well in either seat. My friend has just finished his
Starduster II(with a continental radial), and I got to taxi it last weekend,
it hasn't flown yet. The only problem I had was taxiing from the front seat.
There is a cross member just above the landing gear, that runs about 5"
behind the rudder pedals. With my feet on the pedals, my heel jammed the
cross member, and locked the rudder in position. It could be a problem, so
he'll probably disconnect the forward pedals when carrying pax.

Didn't build it, so also can only answer the hole size question, at
6'4", 250 I have trouble with my left knee interfering with the mixture, so
can't quite get full left aileron. This is in the rear seat only. The
front seat is quite a bit roomier. Regarding the cross member problem
you mention, ours has aluminum sheet screwed to the floor, and wrapped
around the tube to prevent feet getting caught. It can be seen at
extreme right at:

http://www.xmission.com/~bifft/plane/bungee.jpg

(this picture was taken to show the worn bungee cord, just got those
replaced this weekend)

External pictures at:

http://www.xmission.com/~bifft/plane/index.htm

Brian Huffaker, DSWL )
RV-8A drilling roll bar
1/4 N23UT flying.
Old May 8th 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Brian Huffaker" wrote in message
Al wrote:
"david" wrote in message
Anyone know what the 'hole' size is like on the Starduster? I'm well
over
6 feet tall and 200lb

Regarding the cross member problem
you mention, ours has aluminum sheet screwed to the floor, and wrapped
around the tube to prevent feet getting caught. It can be seen at
extreme right at:

http://www.xmission.com/~bifft/plane/bungee.jpg

Thanks Brian, that is a good idea.

Al

Old May 4th 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

david wrote:
My quest to find "the ideal" homebuilt bipe continues.

Has anyone got any build experiences with the Starduster Too? It looks
pretty, but is "pretty" another word for "very difficult"?

I have seen the AS&S web site - nice - so have to ask...do most people buy
kits in stages and build from that or what? Or do they just buy a sheet of
plans? (Can't believe that). It seems most folk in the UK buy ready made
from the States! Eek!

Anyone know what the 'hole' size is like on the Starduster? I'm well over 6
feet tall and 200lb

David

I have the plans, but have not built it (yet) There are two books out
there on people's experience building and flying the starduster. One
is called "Building the Golduster"( an aerobatic version) by James
McKeehan, the other is called "Starduster" I think and is more of a
novel than a howto. Jimi at Desert Eagle had an early version
partially built for sale last year. Don't know if he sold it or not. It
was just the airframe. I used to follow the builders forum pretty
closely. Pretty in this case does add difficulty. The wings are far
from cookie cutter, so each rib is different I am pretty sure. I don't
have the plans with me. The plans by the way are beautifully done, or
at least the ones that I got were. The business has changed hands since
I bought mine. My plan was to tackle something simpler first. It is
an absolutely beautiful plane up close. A common complaint on the
builders site used to be that the resale value was on par or lower than
the build cost, which might explain why UK buyers go for the complete
airframes.

Charles

Experiences with the new LockMart FSS? john smith Piloting 11 July 26th 07 01:39 PM
Starduster Too for Aerobatics Jay Moreland Aerobatics 0 November 15th 04 06:16 AM
Stolp Starduster bill Home Built 2 August 30th 04 04:53 AM
Stolp Starduster 1 help needed bill Home Built 0 August 22nd 04 01:59 AM
Hispanic Hero Recalls Experiences Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 September 30th 03 10:02 PM