Here's a silly question regarding plans

Old September 30th 03, 02:38 PM
David Hill

Default Here's a silly question regarding plans

I'm building a replica of a 1924 plane. Since it's a replica, it's not
exactly an original design, but there are no plans or drawings, so I get
to make up the dimensions (based on photographs of the original). :-)

What I would like to end up with, besides a plane, is a set of plans
that would be marketable, should anyone else be foolish enough to want
to build this plane. Having never built a plane from plans, I don't
know what the standard is for documentation.

Can anyone recommend a set of plans I could buy, cheap, that would
demonstrate a reasonable standard for me to shoot for?

thanks,
--
David Hill
david at hillREMOVETHISfamily.org

Old September 30th 03, 03:02 PM
Ron Wanttaja

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 13:38:29 GMT, David Hill
wrote:

What I would like to end up with, besides a plane, is a set of plans
that would be marketable, should anyone else be foolish enough to want
to build this plane. Having never built a plane from plans, I don't
know what the standard is for documentation.

Can anyone recommend a set of plans I could buy, cheap, that would
demonstrate a reasonable standard for me to shoot for?

The plans for the Fly Baby are an excellent example; they sell for $65.
Grega sells Air Camper plans for $25.

Ron Wanttaja
Old September 30th 03, 03:51 PM
Rick Pellicciotti

wrote:

What I would like to end up with, besides a plane, is a set of plans
that would be marketable, should anyone else be foolish enough to want
to build this plane. Having never built a plane from plans, I don't
know what the standard is for documentation.

Can anyone recommend a set of plans I could buy, cheap, that would
demonstrate a reasonable standard for me to shoot for?

The plans for the Fly Baby are an excellent example; they sell for $65.
Grega sells Air Camper plans for $25.

Ron Wanttaja

David,
As Ron said, these are great plans. You might also look at the Sonerai and
the Volksplane plans. There used to be an organization (NASD?) that set
some standards for plans. Does anyone know if it is still around?

The Epps 1924 is a cute airplane. It looks fairly simple and should be fun
to build and fly. Please keep us posted.

Rick Pellicciotti

Old September 30th 03, 06:34 PM
BD5ER

Having never built a plane from plans, I don't
know what the standard is for documentation.

There is no standard, as far as I can tell. But I think good plans have good
detail, break the project down into small units, have little ambiguity, good
organization, and a section that provides an overview of how all of the systems
and sub-parts relate to one another.

Of the above, lack of ambiguity is the most important. After al,l the reason we
buy plans is so we don't have to do all of the thinking.

Can anyone recommend a set of plans I could buy, cheap, that would
demonstrate a reasonable standard for me to shoot for?

The construction manual (plans) for the Quickie is/are downloadable. But use
them as an example of poor plans. Plans for the BUG glider are also online and
look pretty good. The best plans I have seen - IMHO - were for the BD-5.
Plans for the Tailwind (~$175) and the Stewart Headwind ($50) are also examples
of what I consider good plans. They aren't detailed in the sence that they
tell you every little detail, method and procedure. But they have all of the
information needed to build in easy to read and logical format - provided the
builder has the basic fabrication skills needed to work with wood, tube, and
rag.

http://www.stewartaircraft.com/main.html

http://www.finleyweb.net/default.asp?id=141 (Quickie plans)

Old September 30th 03, 09:17 PM
BD5ER

The Evans VP-2 plans are on the internet and they are a good example to use.

Do you have a working link?

http://volksplaneinfosite.homestead.com/Volksplane.html

...........no longer has them
Old September 30th 03, 09:42 PM
Ebby

I might recommend buying a book on blueprint reading. There is a standard
that the U.S. Army Air Corps used and there are probably others. It
wouldn't make sense to reinvent the wheel. Plus looking at a couple of
existing plans would give you some ideas. I am working on a Hatz bi-plane
which is from plans. I have the CB-1 plans and the Classic plans. They are
ok but there is still a lot missing. I've also seen some plates from the
Douglas aircraft company. The smallest of parts was drawn in three views
with mucho information in the title block. They are really works of art.

Ebby
Hatz 598

Old October 1st 03, 02:41 AM
James R. Freeman

http://24.132.87.61/drawings/drawings.htm

They are in JPEG format.

Old October 1st 03, 10:59 PM
Ernest Christley

Ebby wrote:
I might recommend buying a book on blueprint reading. There is a standard
that the U.S. Army Air Corps used and there are probably others. It
wouldn't make sense to reinvent the wheel. Plus looking at a couple of
existing plans would give you some ideas. I am working on a Hatz bi-plane
which is from plans. I have the CB-1 plans and the Classic plans. They are
ok but there is still a lot missing. I've also seen some plates from the
Douglas aircraft company. The smallest of parts was drawn in three views
with mucho information in the title block. They are really works of art.

Ebby
Hatz 598

Draw your plane up in a CAD program, 3D CAD would be especially useful.
Your eventual distribution would be a lot cheaper, and there is
nothing like being able to drop an additional line to get a measurement
between point that you find particularly convenient but the original
builder didn't/couldn't include because of space limitations on paper.

--
http://www.ernest.isa-geek.org/
"Ignorance is mankinds normal state,

Fly Baby Plans Available Again Ron Wanttaja Home Built 0 August 28th 03 02:11 AM
Wanted - Long EZ and Q2 plans 1engineer Home Built 41 August 26th 03 05:31 PM
Question on Pulsejets/Ramjets??? DarylG1532 Home Built 3 August 16th 03 03:20 AM
Free aircraft plans? Gil G. Home Built 0 July 23rd 03 04:18 PM
Pitts Screw Question VTflyer Home Built 1 July 2nd 03 11:02 AM