Soaring for Diamonds

Old June 23rd 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Soaring for Diamonds

Right, hope I've got the right forum this time...

Hi,

Just finished reading the above book - what a great
story of early gliding in the US, what a guy.

Can anyone tell me what Mr Joseph Colville Lincoln
is doing
these days, where he lives, is he still involved in
gliding? Is he emailable??? Love to say 'thanks'...

Old June 23rd 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Mr. Lincoln moved on to the next great airmass in the sky well before I
started gliding (and enjoying his writing) 3 years ago.

He was an icon in Arizona soaring for quite some time. Hopefully some
of the more senior rASArs can fill us in here.

~ted/2NO

Old June 23rd 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

David Pye wrote:
Right, hope I've got the right forum this time...

Hi,

Just finished reading the above book - what a great
story of early gliding in the US, what a guy.

Can anyone tell me what Mr Joseph Colville Lincoln
is doing
these days, where he lives, is he still involved in
gliding? Is he emailable??? Love to say 'thanks'...

Sadly, Mr. Lincoln passed away prematurely in (working from memory) the
mid-1970's from brain cancer. A collection of "Soaring" magazines from
that timeframe will provide additional examples of his (very fine)
writings and details of his passing.

He did a lot for the sport.

"Soaring for Diamonds" was the very first book I read about soaring. In
1972 I found it in the library after joining my local club based on
input from my first post-college work-roomate (and glider
guider/tuggie), and *before* I'd taken my first lesson. Quite frankly
(writ with humorous hindsight), my reaction to the book was mixed! I
enjoyed the wonderful tale, but part of me was worried I'd be under peer
pressure to fly similarly!!! It's still a great book, and an
entertaining, instructive, highly recommended read.

I'd like to have known the man.

Regards,
Bob - refuses to play on freeways just because others do! - W.
Old June 23rd 06, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi David,

I recently read the book too and I also really liked it. I found that I
could really relate to many of his cross-country experiences. The book is
like a trip back in time to when the Schweizer 1-23 was a very high
performance glider!

I happened upon a batch of the books a few months ago when buying other
books from Schweizer. They had about 6 of the books that were new, but had
been sitting on a shelf for years and looked quite faded. I bought all the
books they had remaining and sold the last one a few weeks ago - except the
one that I kept for my collection. I wish I could get more of them. I
imagine used copied could be found using Amazon. I mention that in case
anyone reading this thread wants to find a copy.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

Old June 23rd 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Joe is long gone but you can read more of his stories in "Collected
Classics of Soaring".

See http://www.asa-soaring.org/publications.asp

Andy

Old June 24th 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Paul Remde wrote:
I imagine used copied could be found using Amazon. I mention that in case
anyone reading this thread wants to find a copy.

For more specialized and/or older books its often worth checking Alibris
first:

http://www.alibris.com/home.cfm

For instance, they have 15 copies of Soaring for Diamonds priced from
$7.85 to $89.95 (10 are under $20). For comparison, Amazon have three
copies priced from $8.87 to $19.95.

I have no connection with either outfit except as a customer of both.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK